PDA

View Full Version : Recall fix failed!! Very Upset

gsxrsrad1000
01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I must admit, these Outlaws are built tough, but the recall on rear sproket bolts failed on me 1 month after my warranty was up.

Scenario:
I was riding normally, through some trails when I hit a small bump in second gear and shortly after my rear wheel locks up. I get off the bike and look around. I noticed the Chain was off, a sproket bolt was out and a thin metal plate was all bent up. It looked as though the bolt came loose and the metal got caught up in the chain causing the chain to jump off. The result of the chain jumping off cracked a hole in the engine case! It looked like the heavy duty plate that protects the crank case was forced up into the case and caused the hole. Additionally, the thin metal plate sliced open the cv boot as well.

My question is, I kept all the parts and although I am 1 month out of warranty, do you think I am assed out? Or do you think I have a good reason for Polaris to uphold their name and fix my quad due to the recall failure?

realbadlarry
01-06-2009, 12:18 AM
call Polaris yourself and see what they say.....who did the recall work? Might want to talk to them as well.

TYLER329
01-06-2009, 10:31 AM
You still have to watch your bolts even after that recall kit is put in. It can still back out and back the plate out with it. Red loctite and the recall plate is the way to go. I worked for a Polaris dealer for almost 5 years and can tell you that they will prob cover the recall kit only and not the boot or any other collateral damage.

gsxrsrad1000
01-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Red loctite and checking the torque specifications will be done from now on. Time to fix the hole in the engine case with good ole JB weld :) I wrote a letter to polaris so we'll see but I have a feeling those fools will not work with me and replace it like you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up.

ROB450mxr
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Which year Outlaw's have the sprocket recall, cuz I have an 08 450 n I wondering if it has the recall. Any info is greatly appreciated...

icepreddy
01-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I personally would JB weld that sucker, make it so it's not noticeable and trade it off. Yeah you'll lose a little money but take it from me, case's are expensive and a pain to replace.

coryatver
01-08-2009, 12:51 PM
They did the repair and it came loose and messed up your quad! Seems like it is there fault to me! I would make them fix it and pay for all of it

scuzz
01-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Any pics?

eerhard09
01-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah, that "recall" was supposed to STOP this from happening. It is kind of your fault for not checking the bolts but more so on the dealer and Polaris because they specifically put this out there so that WOULD NOT HAPPEN! Their preventative measures failed!!! You should be all over that dealer's *** and should take it above and beyond them if you have to!

somewon
01-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I took a punch and hammer to the tabs on mine to get them to fully hold. When it came back from the dealer they looked ok, but i could see where they would be able to wiggle loose.

I just replaced my chain with a D.I.D. X-ring chain because I was afraid of the chain failing and doing the same damage.

I say fix it yourself, you'll probably be happier with the results.

gsxrsrad1000
01-20-2009, 02:30 PM
I hear ya fellas, it's at the dealer and Polaris inc. called me after my nasty letter so hopefully they build a case for me and get that stuff replaced. TBC

Outlaw6;=-
01-20-2009, 09:51 PM
I hope they come back and do the right thing and fix it for u.After i brought mine in for the recall they came loose on me also, but i noticed it before they came fully out.When i went back to the dealer and complained about them backing off they checked the recall package and it doesn't tell them to use locktite.My dealer gave me a new kit free and sent an email to the main dealer that they need to review there instructions on installing the recall kit. No idea what happened after.