PDA

View Full Version : Im stuck, Engine Prob-

FL-R
01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I whent to GA last weekend, I live in FL, had to put a new plug in once I got their, rode great the first day, 2nd day rode half a day then it wouldnt fire after lunch, put another plug in and it backfired 3 times on start up, then ran good for about 20 min. While riding it felt like someone grabed the brakes hard real quick the freed up, I checked it out. (thought i hit a rock with the disk), fired right back up and it was winning real bad and vibrating real bad like it had a broke mount, Took off and it had no bottom end, had to fether the clutch to get going, When you clutch it and get the revs up it runs and revs up good, Comp- seems good. Im thinking elec-. What do yall think, Sorry for the long story.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Pull the flywheel cover & see if anythings out of place or loose.
If nothing there, your next cover is the clutch side.
If your real slick, you can pull the clutch cover without draining the coolant, just need to remove the pipe & kick starter.
Whinning noise sounds like the counterbalancer bearing or the crank bolt has backed out on the clutch side.
Wouldnt rule out a transmission bearing though.
Neil

machwon
01-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Vibration is more than likely a bearing problem or a loose part that rotates. With the loss of bottom end it sounds more like a bigger main bearing than the other ones. Sounds like the motors on one of its last rides till its fixed. I'd do an internal inspection immediately or those balancer bearing can put a hole in the crankcase.

FL-R
01-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Well I pulled the flywheel, And it didnt shar the key way and the alum plate behind the statrisnt cracked (couldnt rem- the name), Then i pulled t head off ante piston had a little bit of movement, not much but you could also twist the piston inside the sleeve(not good), Pulled the jug and inspected the crank a bit and their their are metal shavings all in the bottom and in the oil channels. Time for a new crank.

Im trying to decide what to do with it, I can either buy a new crank with a 87 rod and use the 86 piston and throw a spacer plate in it. Or buy a stroker crank and new jug. Im kinda steering away from the stroker and just put a 310 kit with the 87/86 piston/rod setup. What d yall think. Thanks

C-LEIGH RACING
01-07-2009, 08:00 PM
A new OEM long rod crank & one of the 310 cylinder kits ESR has right now for 599.00 would be sweet.

Those metal shavings, can you tell where they came from.
If by chance the two crank webs a not messed up, you could send the crank & have it rebuilt with a new rod kit to save some money. New rod kit will run little more than 100.00 & most places charge 50 bucks to do the work rebuilding it.
Neil

FL-R
01-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I will know exactally when I split the cases

FL-R
01-10-2009, 04:19 PM
This is what I found when I split the cases, this is the left side crank bearing and their was a peice of the bearing cage shoved through the seal.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/southernkrawlers/003-1.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/southernkrawlers/002-1.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/southernkrawlers/001-1.jpg

C-LEIGH RACING
01-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Is that just tarnish on the bearing or is that rust.
You running Klotz oil ??.
Neil

Aceman
01-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Looks like you opened that motor up just in time! That could have gotten real expensive!:eek2:

FL-R
01-10-2009, 10:34 PM
just tarnish, im actually runnin hondas oil, I use to run ATF when i owned it awhile back, It actually still ran when i pulled it apart but I knew it was fugged up

C-LEIGH RACING
01-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by FL-R
just tarnish, im actually runnin hondas oil, I use to run ATF when i owned it awhile back, It actually still ran when i pulled it apart but I knew it was fugged up

ATF !!!!! in the gas mix, you serious, :eek:
Well, I dont guess thats so bad long as you put the right amount in it.
I used Honda GN-2, good oil, but gone to Suzuki CCI now.
Have had guys come to me with locked up or seized engines, come to find out they are using the little bottles of chain saw oil you mix to one gallon of gas.
Those little bottles are ratio specific for certian brands of saws & not for dirt bikes.
Neil

FL-R
01-11-2009, 08:57 AM
No, atf in the bttom end, Im running castrol in the gas, These are the original bottom end bearings since 86, the cases have never been split

86 Quad R
01-12-2009, 07:07 AM
yeeee ouch!! that could have been a real cat-astrofee..... good thing you pulled it down. :cool:

i hear what your saying neil. i've had the same thing happen with guys and after explaining the importance to them of running goed oil. i gar on tee ya they went right back to it the next time they mixed up fuel. :eek2: