PDA

View Full Version : How Long did it Take you to get Good at Racing?

born2ride14
01-05-2009, 06:19 PM
How Long did it Take you to get Good at Racing? As in 3rd or 4th place. I just moved up to the 300ex and im just getting killed. I am trying to stay positive about racing and that this is just my first season on it and that next year i will do better.(lets hope)
Plus I don't think i have enough body mass to throw it around good. Im only like 5 ft 2 maybe and 88lbs.
Any tips would be awesome.

01-05-2009, 06:35 PM
wish i could race to find out if i'm good no real challenges where i ride just a lot of hype modded out quads and people that cant race

gcart2
01-05-2009, 06:40 PM
wow you need to run mini's. maybe the blaster class at most.

HondaRaceReady
01-05-2009, 06:45 PM
wow you need to run mini's. maybe the blaster class at most
Size doesn't mean **** in racing. As long as he's comfortable on the bike and strong, he actually has an advantage because he is lighter. I'm not big either and I'll be racing in a 450cc class next year.

trx400exxracer
01-05-2009, 07:01 PM
About 2 or 3 years. It took me a couple of years to get to get the physical part down and even longer to get the mental part of racing down. Once you can have the mental ability and stay focused it helps alot than just meeting the physical requirements! I say the longer you stay at it and older you get the mental part will come to you and help you stay focused and in race mode.

feuerstack411
01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
wow you need to run mini's. maybe the blaster class at most.

If he's racing a 300ex he's probaly already racing blaster class. The 300 is the superior quad in the blaster class.

allstock
01-05-2009, 07:09 PM
i hate to say it but the 300 class pretty much comes down to who has the most money. i feel bad watching it sometimes because of all the kids on the stock 300's or blasters just getting slaughtered by the ones with full blown national race quads

300ex_#387
01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by allstock
i hate to say it but the 300 class pretty much comes down to who has the most money. i feel bad watching it sometimes because of all the kids on the stock 300's or blasters just getting slaughtered by the ones with full blown national race quads

Yeah thats the class I started racing in. My first year I had a fairly stock 300 with some wheel spacers and tires and didn't do so hott. The next year we built a full blown national 300ex and I was finishing top 3 and had a few wins. The 300 class is real competitive though.

greenblood01
01-05-2009, 07:23 PM
This was my first year racing motocross, or even riding motocross for the most part. And I placed 3rd or better in 4 races, did not finish one due to getting landed on by another quad, and got hit in a turn when I had the lead in the 2nd moto.

I never raced beginner, just started in C and have yet to look back. I'm planning on stepping it up to B at some point during this season when I'm more confident.

It really helps to watch others riding styles, when they shift, how they corner, what gear they hit each jump in, etc. You'll pick up on it fast.

Warnerade
01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
half a season

RaptorRacer45
01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Heck....this will be my 6th Season in C Class and i have yet to win a race, lol but every year ive progressed better and am now a solid top 10 finisher week in and week out, Its always a blast and have competition is what makes it that much fun. O Yeah and about the size thing im 5'6 and about 115lbs and ive been Racing Raptors since i began in 2005, lol so if your minds set on it you can make any machine competitive:D

300extreme#8
01-05-2009, 07:40 PM
The quicker you wreck and learn your limits the faster you get. I've been in the hospital so many times that now I'm not scared of wrecking. Now I'm not one of those crazy riders that looks like he's gonna wreck at any time. I'm actually smooth and it all comes with time. When I switch to bikes it didn't take long to get comfortable but I did move from racing B class in quads to begginers again bc it harder to turn a bike than it looks. But no one knew I was a begginer b/c I was jumping more jumps than C class and some of B class. It's way more mental then physical.

scottsworld
01-05-2009, 08:18 PM
i dont know if any of you know brett cusamano but he is on a 300ex and he will smoke half the guys on this site.i have rode with him many times and he ride extremly smooth and that is what it takes to be fast

LTRracer4
01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
how long depends on where you race. Our district is relatively fast when it comes to local racing, anytime someone from our district goes to a national they place top ten it whatever class they race. I think making friends and being able to practice with someone that can push you is the key to getting faster. What class are you trying to race? if its a 300 class then keep working at it, if its a C class then good luck. Ive been going along a class a year sense i started, i won B class locally this year, and im taking a big step and going national A class next year. Train your heart out, dont loose your drive, dont be discouraged, and dont plan to be the best right off the trail scene.

Moto49X
01-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I never lost a local Youth Production race(prob gave me a big head). Moved up to B class on my 16th birthday and people raised hell every weekend, forced me to run A class after a few weeks.

300ex_#387
01-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Moto49X
I never lost a local Youth Production race(prob gave me a big head). Moved up to B class on my 16th birthday and people raised hell every weekend, forced me to run A class after a few weeks.

I wished they still enforced like that. Ryan shull won every youth production race two years ago then jumped to C class the next year and absolutely dominated. He is running B this year but i still think he should run A with his brother Kevin.

Moto49X
01-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
I wished they still enforced like that. Ryan shull won every youth production race two years ago then jumped to C class the next year and absolutely dominated. He is running B this year but i still think he should run A with his brother Kevin.

haha, I'm pretty good friends with the Shull boys. I give Ryan crap all the time, kids pretty fast.

300ex_#387
01-05-2009, 09:25 PM
haha, I'm pretty good friends with the Shull boys. I give Ryan crap all the time, kids pretty fast.

Haha yeah he sure is pretty fast....id hang for the first lap then after that I never saw him. I think eventually he is going to be faster than Kevin though.....and Kevin just flat out hauled last year.

Moto49X
01-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Haha yeah he sure is pretty fast....id hang for the first lap then after that I never saw him. I think eventually he is going to be faster than Kevin though.....and Kevin just flat out hauled last year.

Kevin is fun to race against. We had some good races at Casey. I think Ryan will be in A before the year is over.

300ex_#387
01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Kevin is fun to race against. We had some good races at Casey. I think Ryan will be in A before the year is over.

You really need to get you another quad lol. I know you always said you would get back in it so whats stopping you haha. Race quads are selling for cheap these days.

Moto49X
01-05-2009, 09:50 PM
You really need to get you another quad lol. I know you always said you would get back in it so whats stopping you haha. Race quads are selling for cheap these days.

I got to sell my cruiser then I will this summer. I saved all my gear and helmets and everything. I have 2 brand new EVS Takt helmets and 2 brand new Tech 10s. Sell my bike, business landed a new contract so I need another truck and trailer, then I hope by Fall I will be racing.

BlaineKaiser450
01-05-2009, 10:16 PM
it took me about 2 years of serious MX to get to where i can run with the A class. But ive been riding recreational mx for 4 years.

born2ride14
01-06-2009, 05:02 AM
Yeah thats the class I started racing in. My first year I had a fairly stock 300 with some wheel spacers and tires and didn't do so hott. The next year we built a full blown national 300ex and I was finishing top 3 and had a few wins. The 300 class is real competitive though.

see thats the thing, this past weekend i got beat by a completly stock 300. i have a arms shocks and a pipe. But now coming to think of it he was a wreckless driver, but still i got beat by a stock 300 wow that is sad