PDA

View Full Version : Different filters for SX atv

zalewski22
01-05-2009, 03:04 PM
I am wondering if anyone makes a cotton or gauze filter for the SX atv's yet. Even a whole new intake system would be ok. I like the stock intake setup and easy of use, but can't stand foam filters. K&n does not have one yet, but said 3 months ago they were working on one.

xsr_racing28c
01-05-2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/invision/index.php?showtopic=585

zalewski22
01-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Yes I saw that, but it is for an XC and the filters are different. Maybe you could modify it to work, but it is not made for an SX.

Big Red Menace
01-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Ti valves and K&N air filter are a bad combo. You'd be better off to learn to like foam air filters. It's much cheaper too. Every engine I take apart I can tell what filter they've been running. I'm sure some donkey will come on here and say they've never had a problem with theirs, but nothing stops fine and silty dust like an oiled foam filter can. Ktm offers dust covers for these, and also outer wears type covers for these machines.

zalewski22
01-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Thanks for your reply, but this donkey has never used anything else and has "not had any problems". I don't know how you can tell the difference once your inside the motor, maybe they don't know how to oil them or how often to change them. Anyhow I was just looking for some ideas, not salvation.

xsr_racing28c
01-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I dont know much about if they are doing anything with the K&N on the SX, but from what I do know about KTM's and dealing with them, I wouldn't run one. Personally I run Twin Air and wouldn't run anything else. K&N filters have been used on my Honda's in the past, but with the SX, and the design of the intake, I would have to say that Twin Air, or foam filter is the way to go.

Just my .02. If you find some info out, let us know.

jay

miles Machine
01-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Yeaa these guys are right and there just trying to simply save you some money in the end.

K&N dosnt belong on any off road machine

bbrad mulvey
01-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by miles Machine
Yeaa these guys are right and there just trying to simply save you some money in the end.

+1

So far there hasnt been much success with K&N on the KTM. they are not sealing very well. Unless you run a COMPLETELY different intake set up from the carb foam may be the way to go for now...

TWISTED
01-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by miles Machine

AMEN!!!!!!

zalewski22
01-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I do not jump on your posts, and change the subject by telling you how the products you use are way worse than what I use, because I know so and you don't. So don't do it to me. I would have titled it "Are cotton filters vastly inferior to foam ones?" if I cared. Thanks to anyone who has some real input on my topic.

Big Red Menace
01-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Wow, denial is a tough one. I think you need Dr Phils number.

zalewski77
01-10-2009, 07:37 PM
first off... your speaking with a mechanic, so he and i both know, if your not an idiot and know how to treat a cotton filter, they work just fine.

second... prove all this talk about foam working better than cotton, and if you do, we chose cotton because of ease of use, NOT PERFORMANCE.

third... dr. phil is a gayfer, and knows nothing of the subject.

fourthly... close minded rednecks (named Rich )need not apply... so unless you have any real help for us, go ahead and feel free to not reply

Big Red Menace
01-11-2009, 08:06 AM
First, I apoligize for my last remark. My intentions were simply to help a fellow wisconsin/ ktm rider.

Titanium is a strong light metal, but has a low tolerance for abrasion. This makes any contact with dust or dirt inbetween the valve face and seat very bad. The iron seat can take it, but not the ti valve. The way I can always tell what type of filter people run when I rebuild an engine is looking at the color of the plating on the cylinder wall. An engine that's used a properly maintaned foam will have cross hatch and will be the same color all the way through the rings travel. K&N type filters always leave the cylinders gray where the rings travel. This is from the abrasive silt or dust that a cotton type filter doesn't get. I takes a lot more oilings and an outerwears to make it better, but it's still not as good. This wear also makes the rings sharp accelerating the cylinder wear and drag.

I'm done and will leave you guys alone. Again only trying to help, my intentions weren't to start a pissing match. Good luck racing this year.

zalewski77
01-11-2009, 10:47 AM
so that makes sense. i guess i'd be the close minded redneck for still using a cotton filter.

but we still can't stand cleaning foam filters, and have personally never had squabbles. sorry for the name calling, and thanks for the help

zalewski22
01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
I understand what your saying and no one is challenging your expertise, but that was not my point. I was simply looking for some info, and did not want to start a hot debate on filter performance. Also please be sure to notice the difference of 22 and 77 in the user names on this topic, as most people get us confused.

TWISTED
01-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by zalewski77
so that makes sense. i guess i'd be the close minded redneck for still using a cotton filter.

but we still can't stand cleaning foam filters, and have personally never had squabbles. sorry for the name calling, and thanks for the help

Try No-Toil..... Throw a nasty funky foam filter in the washer and it comes out like new.... It works GREAT!!!!

bbrad mulvey
01-11-2009, 11:01 PM
YES! I use the Honda oil/no toil and that stuff is GREAT!!!! water saluable and it gets you filter Brand new again when you use the cleaner and the oil together! I use them when I can, but unfortunatly the LTR450 will suck in a foam filter...So I ran Cotton on that and hated the fact that it did not filter as well as foam.

quadboy38
01-12-2009, 08:12 AM
i really could have sworn he was asking about cotton and gauze filters, i guess this is taking people two pages to figure this out?

ltr311
01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Big Red Menace
First, I apoligize for my last remark. My intentions were simply to help a fellow wisconsin/ ktm rider.

Titanium is a strong light metal, but has a low tolerance for abrasion. This makes any contact with dust or dirt inbetween the valve face and seat very bad. The iron seat can take it, but not the ti valve. The way I can always tell what type of filter people run when I rebuild an engine is looking at the color of the plating on the cylinder wall. An engine that's used a properly maintaned foam will have cross hatch and will be the same color all the way through the rings travel. K&N type filters always leave the cylinders gray where the rings travel. This is from the abrasive silt or dust that a cotton type filter doesn't get. I takes a lot more oilings and an outerwears to make it better, but it's still not as good. This wear also makes the rings sharp accelerating the cylinder wear and drag.

I'm done and will leave you guys alone. Again only trying to help, my intentions weren't to start a pissing match. Good luck racing this year.

Well I dont agree with this statement at all. Ive ran k@n style filters on my ltr for over two years. Ive had no air box on it since the first month. I motocross, dune and gp race all year long. My bikes get ridden hard and put away wet. I pull my motor apart quite often testing different parts. Ive never once had a problem with filtration or motor parts wearing. Its all about how you maintain. In fact Ive never oiled my filters. EVER. I just run clean filter mounted properly with an outerwares outerware. They make the most power and Ive never had an issue. The kit i was running was a fuelatv intake with an s@b filter. Never an issue and Ive dynoed it against every filter you can thing of. Benefits of owning a dyno. Ive been building and dynoing motors for years now and never had an issue with bikes properly maintained. Im all for k@n filter style setups. They make the most power, and as long as you run an outerware you are good. But in the ktm being it had a nicely sealed box, I wont even run a filter cover.

Ill be posting tons of graphs here soon on my findings. I have posted over 1000 dyno runs on testing of products on the ********. Believe i will do the same with the ktm. I love testing products and helping the atv community.

Good luck to everyone and remember, everyone has their own opinion. Mine just consists on what makes power and is reliable. Its up to you from there.

Rootar
01-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by ltr311
But in the ktm being it had a nicely sealed box, I wont even run a filter.

You just took the whole cake for the dumbest thing ive heard in awhile :rolleyes:, "OH yea the ktm airbox is sealed up so great only clean air will get in and ill just run no filter at all"

LMFAO

im sorry dude but that was a chit for brains statement, im gonna just hope that was some kinda typo because we all know that our quads cant breathe out of a sealed box so its gotta get air from somwhere, and usually the air is full of dirt that comes in. so a filter is needed.......

now dont get all bent outta shape im jsut poking fun and when you read what you wrote you cant deny it does seem a bit dumb;)

ltr311
01-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I meant outerware. LOL

Rootar
01-13-2009, 05:36 AM
:p good :D lol

From my experience being around a dyno a tiny bit we found the same thing a fresh clean (oiled) k&n made the most power even with the outerware on compared to our twinair and uni filters, BUT we then put some halfway dirty filters on, and the k&n plugged up quick and dropped below the foam filters as soon as they got a tad dirty, biggest difference was the dirty outterware they really block alot of air when they are dirty. We have all had better luck with foam filters they are more consistant throughout the day. Thats just our findings

*** edit*** im not biased by any means i have 4 k&ns for my 400ex, and 4 foams for my hybrid (2 twin, 2 uni) *****

slipperyjake
06-19-2010, 03:09 PM
hey buddy 20yrs experience helps,oiled foam filter every time, use filter skin or outerwears for real bad dusty conditions. but wont help hp. twin air and no toil oil works for us.

eastside 400
06-26-2010, 01:20 PM
a K&N style filter on a dirtbike type intake setup like the KTM is a bad idea, the K&N filters for these setups have a very small filter area because the top is usually solid rubber or metal, this small filter area hurts your power and also clogs up very quick. Im not going to get into how the K&N's shouldnt be in dirt at all but if you insist on using a K&N maybe you will think twice about putting it on a dirtbike type setup.

RG #43
09-09-2010, 10:01 AM
The FCI intake with K&N is the way to go. Big coin but worth every penny. The intake design on the KTM's are poor, the Intake boots are week. The constant lifting of the stock intake causes these intake boots to crack/rip. The stock intakes also get crushed under seat and plug up the stock air filters pretty quick. If you can't handle maintaining an K&N, by all means stay away. If you know how to maintain both foam and Gauze, then 9 out of 10 will prefer gauze (K&N) style. Flame away all you want, but I will stick to my guns, an FCI is the way to go with the KTM's.

WARNER450
09-23-2010, 12:54 PM
My buddy runs the FCI hes had it on all year and it keeps the dirt out better than his foam one, with the foam ones the edges can lift off just a hair and you end up finding a ton of dust in the intake, none of the with the FCI, it also adds alot of snap to the power