PDA

View Full Version : How to insure a lonestar hybrid?

deathman53
01-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm trying to insure my lonestar hybrid bike. I don't have the mso that it originally came with. I called my insurance company and they said that it doesn't come up in their database. They wanted me to send a picture of the bike, the lady got the idea of what it is, but the Lonestar name doesn't come up in their database and can't insure it. How do you guys get around this??? I also want to register this bike, NJ is sending me through hoops of flames. they said that I'm gonna have to register this bike as a custom framed atv and maybe be inspected. Anybody who registered and insure a lonestar chassis, let me know, how you did this.

Rootar
01-05-2009, 06:53 PM
i have fire, theft, and somethin else coverage on my PRP framed hybrid and i had to gather a price sheet/reciepts for the entire bike, get market value on them from a local shop, and also bring the bike to the office for the agent to see and look over. Its not good if i wreck it or anything but it will cover it in a fire, if something happened to it during transport, or if it was stolen....

my dad also took out a life insurance policy so we got a package deal:o :D

jk about the life insurance.......lol

but it was a pain in the ***, just trying to insure a mini sprint or dirt track car from what i understand.

Master LTR450
01-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I'm trying to insure my lonestar hybrid bike. I don't have the mso that it originally came with. I called my insurance company and they said that it doesn't come up in their database. They wanted me to send a picture of the bike, the lady got the idea of what it is, but the Lonestar name doesn't come up in their database and can't insure it. How do you guys get around this??? I also want to register this bike, NJ is sending me through hoops of flames. they said that I'm gonna have to register this bike as a custom framed atv and maybe be inspected. Anybody who registered and insure a lonestar chassis, let me know, how you did this.

Deathman, i dont know the answer to your question but i too live in Jersey and would love any info on how you make out. i aam trying to do the same thing so if you can find a way around it i would really appreciate any info. thanks

deathman53
01-05-2009, 09:35 PM
I can give you this information about hopefully getting a title for it. Send photo's, any receipts, engine info, contact information and what parts its composed of to them. It has to comply to title 39, whatever that means? The address is

agency services
attn: Lisa
P.O box 129
Trenton, NJ, 08666-129

I was told that it would most likely be titled as a custom framed vehicle, but maybe if you gave them the number that is on the frame they can find out more information on exactly what it is. I have 1 other custom framed atv, 86 atc250r copy of a stock frame and 2 more are being built, I want all of them titled in my name. I know for one of mine, the guy that built my frame is gonna get me a receipt with all information. Rider insurance told me that they most likely can insure it ONLY for liability, as they go by nada book values. However, they need a NJ recognized title to be able to insure it. The lady did say to ask the clerk at dmv, if this is recognized by NJ and able to the insured, that would be a step forward. Also, I was the first lonestar framed atv questioned about, maybe if more ask them, they might be able to get more information about them and add them to their system. Their phone number is 1-973-258-9500.

This was almost 2 hours of phone calls.

Master LTR450
01-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I can give you this information about hopefully getting a title for it. Send photo's, any receipts, engine info, contact information and what parts its composed of to them. It has to comply to title 39, whatever that means? The address is

agency services
attn: Lisa
P.O box 129
Trenton, NJ, 08666-129

I was told that it would most likely be titled as a custom framed vehicle, but maybe if you gave them the number that is on the frame they can find out more information on exactly what it is. I have 1 other custom framed atv, 86 atc250r copy of a stock frame and 2 more are being built, I want all of them titled in my name. I know for one of mine, the guy that built my frame is gonna get me a receipt with all information. Rider insurance told me that they most likely can insure it ONLY for liability, as they go by nada book values. However, they need a NJ recognized title to be able to insure it.

This was almost 2 hours of phone calls.

So I can get a title to this bike with zero numbers on the frame?? All I have to do is provide recipts and pics?? do you have a number i can contact as well?? thanks

deathman53
01-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I found out some of this info from Rider insurance and most of it from sitting on the phone over 1 hour with trenton and I finally got their supervisor who is in charge of custom framed vehicles. I still need to gather some of the information about my 2, it will a few weeks before I send mine out. I imagine that you will be assigned a vin number and that will need to be stamped on the frame.

Glamis400ex
01-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I have mine fully insured thru State Farm for $12K. They insure it the same way they would with a custom built sandrail. They want to see reciepts and the cost of parts. Should be pretty easy.

I had to go to the Calif. Highway Patrol and they verified the vin number on the motor...to be sure it's not stolen. They then assigned a VIN to the frame and used 2 rivits to put it on permanantly.

Langbolt
01-13-2009, 10:57 AM
I know things might be different in Canada compared to the US but this is what i had to do to get my HYBRID insured with State Farm.

First I had to write up an affidavit stating how it was made, where i got the parts from, vin number of the motor and dates when it all took place (from start to finish)

Then I took it to the MTO (DMV for the US) and swore on a bible that it was all true and the vehicle wasn't stolen.

Then they issued me an Ownership with a VIN#HOM10V0766########

HOM = Homemade

I took this to my State Farm agent and they asked how much I wanted it insured for and what other coverage I wanted.....that was it.

I then had to make a VIN tag and permanently attach it to my frame. I had one Laser cut out of stainless and rivetted it on.

Hopefully this helps.

:D