PDA

View Full Version : Frozen PIVOT BOLT!!!!!!!!

Sjorge450R
01-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Well, it has come to haunt me. I always lubed it every few races with never sieze and i let it go for a few months while i was at school and boom, its stuck.

Question. How the hell are you guys cutting these out? There doesnt seem to be any room to get any sort of tool in there.
Also, Its only frozen inside the collar on the clutch side so maybe i could somehow work it out? Let me know what you guys did.

pro-rider46
01-05-2009, 02:12 PM
i use a long 3/8 extension and beat on it with a ball peen till it pops out.

trx250rider
01-05-2009, 02:16 PM
i did the same on my 250r and it poped right out

cmaxx
01-05-2009, 03:35 PM
i took an angle grinder and a samll cut off whell and cut the spacers right be side the engine on both sides.and the cut the head of the bolt on the out side of the frame and the just fell right out.now i use anti-seize on them every 3 rides.

Sjorge450R
01-05-2009, 04:04 PM
yea i am going to have my friend turn the bolt with my impact gun while i beat on it tomorrow, i just don't wanna mess up the bolt.

I have no need to take it out, but i know if i leave it in there it will get worse, but at the same time I don't have the extra money right now for a $40 bolt.

Its good to know that you guys are able to get the bolts out with having to cut them though. That makes me feel good.

JessetheKid
01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
use an air chisel/ hammer with a point on it till you get a little dimple in it, and let it do the work for you, some heat will help too

bluebaron
01-05-2009, 07:51 PM
If you don't want to beat up the bolt, find a cheap nut to screw on a bit then do the pounding on that.

d3ktrix
01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Last season mine popped right out after being in there for 2 years with no grease or anything.

This year when I went to pull it out, it was only in there for a few months and it had a ton of anti seeze on it. Apparently it washed out though.

It was SOOO stuck in there that my $200 IR impact gun couldn't even make it spin!
After tons of WD40 and oil while going at it with the impact gun I finally got it to spin 10min later.
It took me and my dad, both sanding on opposite sides of the bike with 2.5lb sledges an hour to work it out hitting it back and forth about a 1/2" at a time. And used a metal rod the same size as the bolt once it wasn't sticking out anymore.

Forget using a normal size hammer, this thing was bad. We had to nail it pretty hard with the 2.5lb sledges.
The end of the bolt is kinda flattened so I need a new one.
I'm just glad it didn't crack my engine cases or knock the gussets off my frame.

GL getting it out, its a pita sometimes.
I thought someone JB welded mine in there :P

JessetheKid
01-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix

This year when I went to pull it out, it was only in there for a few months and it had a ton of anti seeze on it. Apparently it washed out though.

Never use anti-seize on swingarm bolt/ moving parts...as it is just crushed up aluminum, and will actually do more damage

d3ktrix
01-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by JessetheKid
Never use anti-seize on swingarm bolt/ moving parts...as it is just crushed up aluminum, and will actually do more damage

Ya I found that out shorty after I put it on the swinger bolt.
Though there's a shaft/race between the swinger bolt and the swinger bearings. And the bearings are greased. So nothing moves on the swinger bolt it self as far as I know.

Sjorge450R
01-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by JessetheKid

elaborate on this please

cletusEX
01-06-2009, 07:47 PM
I've had more than a few stick over the years (always slacked on lubing them up). I could always move the bolt about an inch than it would stick. I have had good luck beating the end the nut screws on until I could cut the other end off, than I'd beat it out the other way. It always seems to work for me but you obviously need to replace the bolt afterwards.

300ex_#387
01-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Steve check your PM box.

GIXXER1KR
01-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I take my axle bolt out every 6 months.I sand it with light grit sandpaper to clean up the little corrosion and grease with a good water resistant grease like Belray or Amsoil.Been good so far.I bought a YZ250 and had to cut that one out with a HD cutoff wheel.It was ugly.All the shock linkage bolts too.Not cheap bolts and they are a very strong grade steel.:eek2: