PDA

View Full Version : athena gaskets

ifixtheyride
01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I just tore down my quad to fix the intake valves and am upgrading to DRZ kit my problem is I installed Athena big bore last year is it really necessary to replace piston every 10 hours as they suggest? The DRZ kit came with top end gaskets but the athena is a little different like water jackets. The big bore set up is one season old (not racing ) but rode hard enough to ruin valves in one season would you reuse the top gasket? It's just getting a little pricey with needing an athena gasket and possible piston kit about $250 bucks can you cut out water jackets in regular stock gasket that came with DRZ kit?

03KFX400
Lots of goodies!

airmobile101
01-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by ifixtheyride
I just tore down my quad to fix the intake valves and am upgrading to DRZ kit my problem is I installed Athena big bore last year is it really necessary to replace piston every 10 hours as they suggest? The DRZ kit came with top end gaskets but the athena is a little different like water jackets. The big bore set up is one season old (not racing ) but rode hard enough to ruin valves in one season would you reuse the top gasket? It's just getting a little pricey with needing an athena gasket and possible piston kit about $250 bucks can you cut out water jackets in regular stock gasket that came with DRZ kit?

03KFX400
Lots of goodies!

IMO, I wouldn't replace crap until you do a compression and leak down test first. If there is nothing wrong with the piston,then why replace it? Im sure you could cut holes in the gasket,but Im not sure how well it will hold up(seal).
I say just get the gasket kit with seals and screw the piston !!!

cataway
01-06-2009, 03:54 AM
Athena is tiring to stick a fat hog, theres just not enough technology to justify that kinda price for a gasket kit ,and then to only offer it in a kit.

ifixtheyride
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks guys I agree the price we pay for replacement gaskets is crazy. I know better then to reuse head gaskets it just pisses me off. The counter guy at my local atv shop says the skirt of the piston gets weak thats why they recomend changing plus it covers their butt. I think I'll get the new top gasket set and remove the piston with it in the jug when I replace base gasket. Still waiting for the shop to finish the head so I can finish. I sure hope the DRZ springs help my valve issue ,replacing cupped valves every year is nonsense.

ifixtheyride
01-07-2009, 07:06 PM
I noticed something today with both the athena gasket and oem gasket maybe you can shed light on. The actual cylinder water jackets are elongated slots but the gaskets are small holes not opened for entire water jacket some of the holes in the gaskets are longer then others why would they not be opened up I can't remember any cars I've worked on that was like that. My only thought is they are trying to create some resistance to the flow so it has more time to wick the heat from the cylinder but thats a guess.

bellzbub
01-08-2009, 07:17 PM
the wiseco 440 kit gaskets fit the same as the athena gaskets and are a crap load cheaper. you will need a wiseco gasket kit for a 94mm bore.

you more than likely will not need to replace the piston. they last longer than 10 hrs. mine has 10x that with no failure. it is all in the maintainance.
also any 94mm piston will fit in there. you will have to check clearances very closely if you do run another piston. also any time you take off the top end make sure to check your valve clearances when putting it back together, nothing worse than doing a bunch of work and slapping a piston off a valve to ruin your day.