PDA

View Full Version : Who of you have had crank problems?

Brauap
01-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I would just like you guys to vote so I can get an idea on how common it is because I am pretty sure I am going to be getting an 05 here pretty soon... soo.. thanks!

BlaineKaiser450
01-05-2009, 03:39 PM
I replace mine every year and im still going strong

coryatver
01-05-2009, 03:54 PM
if they have the new collar and larger seal installed then there is a better chance of not having problems. the part numbers are 91202-hp1-672 and 91202-hp1-671.

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=26815

Owning a 450 you just have to know that at anytime the crank may go out it happens but its all part of having a 450. Putting new crank bearings in every year is great preventitive maintence and at least a new top end every year.

jhtrx250r
01-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Mine was a early 05 and had the old style crank, it lasted a year and a half, when you go in to get a new one the part # automaticly updates
dont but a hot rods crank they are junk cost just as much and alaways need ballanced Go OE honda only
previous posters are right at least 1 new top end and crank + bearings every year unless you ride like a sissy

fox945
01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Never had any crank problems and I have an 05' but then again I don't race and have to hold down a 40hr job and ride on my off days so maybe I haven't put enough hours on it yet since I got it but she is still holding up strong and has no problems. I don't ride easy either when I'm on her.

jhtrx250r
01-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I think it makes a difrence where you live also. I mostly ride the orgon coast, or out door tracks.
D.une riding is wide open all the time (that takes a tool on your motor)
I grew up in north idaho riding woods, my bikes lasted forever
I do have a full time job,LOL, I work 50hrs a week, I am a toyota expert tech at the local toyota dealership.
but I go to the dunes at least once a mounth all year and 2-3 times a mounth in the summer, thats the only reason I live in oregon.

fox945
01-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Well I live in Eastern TN, mostly riding trails on mountains and playing in mud for me, I'm lucky to get 5th gear wined out. Pretty much 1st-3rd but I stay wide open in those most of the time.

I can see doing a lot of dune riding where you would have to just for the fact you get to open it completely up and keep it that way:) , i would replace a crank every 6 months if i could do that lol.

brokenmike
01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
I'am just now replacing my friends crank on his 06

Brauap
01-05-2009, 07:22 PM
How much would it cost if I took it into the shop to get the bearings replaced?!

Also.. how long do you think it would last if I just trail ride and the ocasional hare scramble?

Andddd... what are some things I should look for in the 450?

Thank for all your help guys! Really fast responses!

WilRideAnything
01-05-2009, 07:49 PM
The most important thing to make it last is change the oil often. My 04 that I got in January of 04 lasted 4 hard years of riding and racing XC. I change the oil on both sides after every ride. I change the filter every 3 oil changes, but I pull it out every time I change the oil to look for metal shavings. I also put a clean air filter every ride, because it's so dusty where I ride. Cahnging the oil every ride saved me a lot of money, because I caught the crank bearing problem in the early stage before it ruined the whole engine.

Brauap
01-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by WilRideAnything
The most important thing to make it last is change the oil often. My 04 that I got in January of 04 lasted 4 hard years of riding and racing XC. I change the oil on both sides after every ride. I change the filter every 3 oil changes, but I pull it out every time I change the oil to look for metal shavings. I also put a clean air filter every ride, because it's so dusty where I ride. Cahnging the oil every ride saved me a lot of money, because I caught the crank bearing problem in the early stage before it ruined the whole engine.

I always hear people say change the oil after every ride.. but with people like me.. I side it everyday! And for me.. that'd get extremly pricey!!! What about like every week.. would that be ok still?

WilRideAnything
01-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Damn you're lucky. I wish I could ride every day. I ride twice a month. I don't know if I would change it after every ride. When we go away to camp and ride, we usually go for 3 days. I will run the quad all three days and then change the oil when I get home. Once a week should be OK. How many hours you ride a day?
On another note. I think a cheap hour meter is worth getting. I installed on when I rebuilt my engine. No more guessing how many hours you rode.

d3ktrix
01-05-2009, 09:12 PM
My 05 has 3 years on it and they haven't gone out yet.
And not giving it the chance.
My engine is apart right now for a full bottom end rebuild.
New OEM crank, all new bearings and seals.
And new valves, rings and DRG porting on the top end.

I use Shell Rotella oil and change it every other or 3rd ride.

coryatver
01-05-2009, 09:19 PM
who is drg?

d3ktrix
01-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
who is drg?

Custom engine builder in MD
http://www.chad502ex.com/

jhtrx250r
01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
You use shell rotella oil really?

is it shell 15-40 diesel oil?, that stuff is made to run in a slopy tolirance engine that never exceeds 4k rpm

my 450r sees 8-9K all day long, as I would guess your dose also.

I saw some guys use that in college to keep there Honda cars from burning oil, it is uper thick! it cant make it up to the cam shaft all that well, and will cause serious bearing ware, especially on a cold start.

and you cant run it in the trans, it doesn't have the additives for wet clutch protection.

never run that oil in performance ATV or dirtbike

d3ktrix
01-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by jhtrx250r
You use shell rotella oil really?

is it shell 15-40 diesel oil?, that stuff is made to run in a slopy tolirance engine that never exceeds 4k rpm

my 450r sees 8-9K all day long, as I would guess your dose also.

I saw some guys use that in college to keep there Honda cars from burning oil, it is uper thick! it cant make it up to the cam shaft all that well, and will cause serious bearing ware, especially on a cold start.

and you cant run it in the trans, it doesn't have the additives for wet clutch protection.

never run that oil in performance ATV or dirtbike

I run the 5w40 semi synthetic. (Blue bottle)
TONS of people run this oil, and a few engine builders I talk to recommend it.
Even people that work in the oil industry recommend it for ATVs/Bikes.
Me and 3 of my local friends have been running it for 2-3 years and my internals look brand new still.

I run the white bottle of 15w40 Rotella in the trans. (No Molly)
My engine is apart right now and all the gears look perfect.
With upwards of 500 hours I'm still running ALL original clutch parts.
Fibers and steels are still perfect. Though during this rebuild I'm replacing the baskets as they are finally starting to show grooving.

jhtrx250r
01-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Wow, well if you say it works I guess it must ,I have never tried it.

It seems strange, but who ever thought 4 strokes could be fast LOL

I guess I will have to talk to our oil rep at work tomorrow, if what you say is true I could save a bunch of money on oil.

d3ktrix
01-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I don't run it because its cheap, I do because its recommended. Being cheap is just a really nice bonus =)
Before I ran the rotella, I ran $8 a quart Amsoil. I don't cheap out on my quad.
Like right now, doing a full engine rebuild when its already ran perfect.

I really need to work on treating my body as good as I do my quad, I'll live to 100, lol.

jhtrx250r
01-05-2009, 10:27 PM
On another note this is totaly off the subject but some of the guys I work with run ATF in there disels.
not in the engine in the gas tank, I have seen it with my own eyes.
they take all the used ATF at work double filter it and dump it in the tanks of there ford powerstrokes.
and they still run why? crazy I know but it seems to work and costs much less than deisel

jhtrx250r
01-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey, d3ktrix, I dident say thanks for the carb advice yet
I still havent tried a difrent needle in my 450 , I have the HRC needle that came in my HRC kit for my old carb (stock CV style)
will that one work in the fcr? or did you recomend the CRF needle ?
either way I realy want it to beat my yfz 450 or even my 250r that would be great
the 450 is super comfortable, Just needs more snap, and I know it can be done

d3ktrix
01-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Sadly the HRC needle from the 05 carb won't work.
I recommended the stock CRF needle.

Brauap
01-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by WilRideAnything
Damn you're lucky. I wish I could ride every day. I ride twice a month. I don't know if I would change it after every ride. When we go away to camp and ride, we usually go for 3 days. I will run the quad all three days and then change the oil when I get home. Once a week should be OK. How many hours you ride a day?
On another note. I think a cheap hour meter is worth getting. I installed on when I rebuilt my engine. No more guessing how many hours you rode.

On school days.. about 3-4 hours.. one weekends.. maybe 12.

Brauap
01-06-2009, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
My 05 has 3 years on it and they haven't gone out yet.
And not giving it the chance.
My engine is apart right now for a full bottom end rebuild.
New OEM crank, all new bearings and seals.
And new valves, rings and DRG porting on the top end.

I use Shell Rotella oil and change it every other or 3rd ride.

How much is just the new bottom end costing you?

fastredrider44
01-06-2009, 11:11 AM
I run the crap out of mine. Stock crank lasted 5 races and 3 rides when i bought it. I now have a factory replacement hot rod crank. I change the oil and filter every 5 hours. Still run the crap out of it, and use Honda oil and hi-flo filter.

coryatver
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Brauap
On school days.. about 3-4 hours.. one weekends.. maybe 12.

i used to ride every day when I was your age to. But riding over to the nieghbor girls house or your buddies or going for like a half hour ride you don't have to change your oil. I would change it every big all day ride or camping weekend or after one race.

d3ktrix
01-06-2009, 12:13 PM
How much is just the new bottom end costing you?

$200 for the crank, $240 for both clutch baskets, and prolly about another $150 for all the bearings and seals/gaskets.

I haven't bought it all yet so that is all rounded off.

Sjorge450R
01-06-2009, 12:57 PM
bout my 05 in 06 and it has seen 2.5 years of abuse in Harescramble racing with plenty of free ride in between. I change the oil after about 5 hours of run time. Or 2 races. Depends on what kind of riding I am doing. I run Rotella T and its by far the best oil to use. Almost every engine builder i have talked to recommends it and the best part about it is the fact that its what my dads trucking company uses so its readily available to me. So 2.5 years, still on original bottom end, piston, swapped to a 03 crf. Bottom line is, i havent had a problem with teh crank or with the oil. I will probaly split the case this summer and throw a stroker in there and update the bearings.

Brauap
01-06-2009, 12:58 PM
I just called my local dealer and they said to replace the crank and bearings.. it will cost right around 6-800 dollars.. does that sound about right? I was thinking alot more and they said it would take about 5 hours :eek2: thats not that bad.. at all! I could save up 800 once a year! Then it will end up around 1G being that I will replace the piston, rings, seals, ect.

What do you guys think about that price?

I also plan on working there this summer, therefore I may get a better deal.. who knows? :ermm:

d3ktrix
01-06-2009, 02:23 PM
$800 for parts AND labor?
That's amazing for a dealer, most private shops charge that or more.

Live2Ride300
01-06-2009, 02:44 PM
I run hourmeters on our bikes and I normally see the rod bearing begin to let loose at 40-60 hours depending upon the rider.

andrew24
01-08-2009, 09:37 AM
How do u know when it starts to go bad

Live2Ride300
01-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Excessive vibration, slight knocking noise. Fine shavings beginning to appear in the oil filter.

Brauap
01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for all the usuful info... but you guys totally talked me out of getting a 450R! I don't have that kinda money.. I'm only 14!

What I'm going to to is build my 400.. trade it for my buddies 450..keep the stuff I want off of it.. sell it.. then buy another 400ex. I prefer reliabilty over preformance.. but thanks again! :)

scuzz
01-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I prefer reliabilty over preformance.. but thanks again! :)

You've just taken your first huge leap towards being a man.

Good job.

Brauap
01-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
You've just taken your first huge leap towards being a man.

Good job.

haha

thanks... i think....?
Don't you have a 450?

gcart2
01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
you also have to consider how a lot of ppl joined this site when they had the problem to try to get help.

Brauap
01-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
you also have to consider how a lot of ppl joined this site when they had the problem to try to get help.

But I mean my god.. changing the bearings every year.. after 60 hours they could start going.. I ride 60 hours easily in one month!!!! :eek:

Thats just not worth it IMO.. I mean if I was a millionare.. sure.. but 800+ a year.. I thought my 2 stroke was high matience! I would love to be able to have one and ride it for ever.. but I can't! There are 99 400EX's that still don't have a single problem! (Minus the possible slight smoking)

And the 400's are more my style of riding.. woods.. tight trails.. ect.

d3ktrix
01-08-2009, 06:28 PM
But I mean my god.. changing the bearings every year.. after 60 hours they could start going.. I ride 60 hours easily in one month!!!! :eek:

60 hours is ridiculous, if a bottom end only last that long, either it had problems from the start or it poorly maintained.
Even if beat the utter piss out of it, it will last much longer then that if you take care of it in the garage.

If your only trail riding with it, it should last you multiple years easy.

Don't let that discourage you.

But since u say the 400 is more suited for your tight riding style then you probably are better off with the 400.
But the R's are very reliable IMO with only normal maintenance.

Brauap
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
ugh. I dunno. how do you guys rate the 450R on the following:

(1-10 next to the area)

Preformance

Reliability

Woods

I guess when I get it.. I will just see how it fits me. I will probally keep it until the first signs of the bearings going.. then its gone! The 450R just looks better and is more BA.. but I don't know.. I have extremely mixed feelings on it! I will deffently get one.. but I don't know how long it will stay or if I will like it.

:confused: :ermm: :confused: :ermm: :confused: :ermm: :confused: :ermm: :confused: :ermm: :confused:

d3ktrix
01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
I ride mostly MX so my opinions will be different about the bike then someone that rides in the woods.

To me, the 450r in stock form is the worst 450 there is.
Even for trail riding, its too high, extremely tippy feeling and the rear shock will try it hardest to give you spine problems in deep whoops.
Still better suspension then the stock 400ex though.

But once you put suspension on it all around and some comfort mods like bars it's the best 450 there is. (For me)

I'm going to jinx my self by saying this but in 3 years my bike has only stopped running on me ONCE. And it was just some small junk in the pilot jet that wouldn't let the bike idle.
Which can happen to any bike.

And I used to ride a lot, in the first 2 years I had it we used to ride every other day.

I had a brand new 05 400ex for about a month before I traded it in for an 05 R. Best thing I ever did.

HondaRaceReady
01-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Brauap, I really hope you hurt yourself on a 450r. Dont forget to post how long you cried for.

Live2Ride300
01-09-2009, 10:55 AM
In response to the 40-60 hour comment. These engines see extreme stress and racing conditions. WOT, beat the ___, their whole life. Daily oil changes as well.

Brauap
01-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
Brauap, I really hope you hurt yourself on a 450r. Dont forget to post how long you cried for.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/braaup/post-1348-1109892585.gif wtf is your problem? :rolleyes:

Martin Blair
01-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I have an early 04, and have had no problems. After the stock motor it had a 13:1 JE piston for a year, and in 07' I put a 14:1 Baldwin piston in. It is still on the original bottom end except for the clutch. I raced hare scrambles but since going to college I haven't ridden a lot at all, maybe 100hrs a year :(. When I get the tax refund this year I will probably tear into it.

If you don't seriously race, and aren't some idiot kid that thinks you race, you will be fine. If your bottom end fails in 40-60hrs it was a manufacturing defect, and poor maintenance. I wouldn't let these few post scare you from buying a 450r. There very reliable and great bike.

Use a quality oil designed for motorcycle/quad applications and change it and the filter often, you will be fine. Its a Honda it will run till the end of the universe.

Brauap
01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Martin Blair
I have an early 04, and have had no problems. After the stock motor it had a 13:1 JE piston for a year, and in 07' I put a 14:1 Baldwin piston in. It is still on the original bottom end except for the clutch. I raced hare scrambles but since going to college I haven't ridden a lot at all, maybe 100hrs a year :(. When I get the tax refund this year I will probably tear into it.

If you don't seriously race, and aren't some idiot kid that thinks you race, you will be fine. If your bottom end fails in 40-60hrs it was a manufacturing defect, and poor maintenance. I wouldn't let these few post scare you from buying a 450r. There very reliable and great bike.

Use a quality oil designed for motorcycle/quad applications and change it and the filter often, you will be fine. Its a Honda it will run till the end of the universe.

2 times in the thread I get called names.. wtf?

Well thanks tho! What do you guys think about Maxima and Two2Cool?

Like....

Two2Cool Anti-freeze
Two2Cool Anti-freeze additive
Two2Cool Oil additive
Maxima4 Synthetic Extra
Reusuable mesh oil filter

??

Does that sound good?

Or any other oils and/or additives and/or anti-freezes?

I will start racing XC but maybe 2-5 a year.. On my 400EX, I was never hard on it really.. rarly getting upto the 8K prm range..