PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Carrier - single wide or double

jarens024
01-04-2009, 10:34 PM
I tore up my stock bearing carrier on my '01 400ex this weekend and am looking to order a new one. As I am looking through trying to decide what to buy, I see they make an aftermarket carriers with a single bearing on each side, these bearings are nearly twice as wide as the stock. The other option is a carrier with a double bearing setup.
Next comes greasablity options - some have grease fittings in the center of the carrier others are external and grease without disassembling the part of the rearend.
What are the pros and cons? I don't want to hear about carrier brands to buy, I want to know what the justified purpose is for the different designs (single or double) and the grease options.

I do a ton of trail riding and race XC a few times throughout the year. Muddy trails and creeks are common terrain. No big jumping or anything like that.

Let me know if anyone has some knowlegde on this! Thanks

the Z Man
01-05-2009, 09:17 AM
The good thing about the dual bearing is you can buy them at any auto parts store, same thing as a 1970 chevy truck ac compressor bearing... and they come with a warranty...:D

jarens024
01-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Z man you race the iatvhss. I will be doing the same. What do you recommend for reliability purposes?

the Z Man
01-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Ride your own race and your pace, you will be out on your own a lot, so keep pushing yourself, keep your bike dependable mostly stock engine but 6 ply tires, nerf bars, hand guards, kill switch..
Don't be afraid to let the guy in front of you that you are there and you want to pass, every second counts, don't hesitate on hill climbs and creek crossings, when you start getting arm pump just take it down a notch and it will go away.
Good gloves, helmet and comfortable boots, definitely a camel back with just water...
I hope this helps. Z. #41 IATVHSS 2008 A Class Champion!!!

jarens024
01-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all that info. Great stuff to know. What do you recommend for the bearing carrier?:)

turbo j
01-07-2009, 02:04 PM
RAD is a popular replacement and I would just go with the twin row double bearing on each side model. The ones with grease points on them only grease the axle inside the housing not really the bearing. If it were mine I would just replace the stock carrier and bearings. Then next time replace the bearings before they totally fail. That is probably what took out your carrier anyway. (Letting it go to long.)

the Z Man
01-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I think I have a dual row carrier for ya, its for a 400ex, lone star I think, a little beat up but I only want 70 bucks for it, I have to look for it in all my boxes of stuff, and I have a lot, I will look tomorrow. Z.