PDA

View Full Version : What will void my warrenty???

bwkcobra03
01-04-2009, 08:27 PM
My wife got me a new DS450x as an early Christmas presant with a 2 year extended warranty. I have to bring it in for it's 10 hour service on monday. I changed the oil after the first 5 hours with Bombardier 5w40 synthetic oil pn# 293 600 039 and the extra oil filter I got with the quad. I think the motor seems alot louder than when I got it like a rattling and clacking noise. I have a coolant leak from my head gasket on the right side front head bolt. I want to give it more power but now I am nervous about doing any mods to my machine now.

Does anyone know what will void my warranty???

Thanks

crixal
01-04-2009, 09:27 PM
a pipe, air filter, and power commander won't void and will give it a ton of power. i think anything where you gotta open the motor up voids it.

WesDS450X
01-04-2009, 09:32 PM
that noise your hearing from your motor is just a healthy rotax but it never hurts to take it in and get looked at since it is brand spankin new. your gona run into alot of coolent leaks with this bike lol, and its probly not from the headgasket i had the same thing it was dripping fromabove the motor, best thing to do is get some better hose tighters as the stock ones blow and loosen very easly to viberation

bwkcobra03
01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
COOL THANKS

I think I will wait on doing mods until after I have it serviced. . I was going to ride this weekend bur I was a little nervous to take it out with this motor noise. Thanks for letting me know it is normal. Do you also get a pinging noise when your in a higher gear at low rpm?

joeyds450x
01-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by bwkcobra03
COOL THANKS

I think I will wait on doing mods until after I have it serviced. . I was going to ride this weekend bur I was a little nervous to take it out with this motor noise. Thanks for letting me know it is normal. Do you also get a pinging noise when your in a higher gear at low rpm? the last time i was going slower in a higher gear was during break in lol

WesDS450X
01-04-2009, 10:31 PM
probly just the bike boggin down, it doesnt like the bottem end when its stock, but when you 3 mod it really opens up

bwkcobra03
01-04-2009, 10:49 PM
yea may be it is because i am still braking it in and not keeping the revs up high. I was getting the ping while i was out ridding in the last snow storm. I was keeping it in 4th and 5th cant get good traction with snow on the roads in lower gears. lol

myspace.com/bwkcobra03

hotshotgoal30
01-05-2009, 06:40 AM
finnally someone has the same concerns as me. mine is a 08 with like 6 hours and the thing sounds like its ready to gernade. everytime i start it, it sounds like there is no oil in it. i have a ticking noise when im not giving it alot of gas. i know you guys say these things are loud but wow it really makes me nervous. honestly all my friends laugh at me when they hear it. if i were to try to sell this right now and someone came to look at it i think they would laugh at me. i just got the coolent leak too. couple drops on my skidplate. no problems running though, just me being nervous

fastford
01-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I would take you machine in and get the clutches inspected. When I blew a few ears off of my basket the quad moved fine but the oil pressure dropped cuz of material stuck in the oil screen. The cam chain tightener is run on oil pressure, when the chain is loose it rides on the chain guides and makes alot of noise.

WesDS450X
01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
i think i got a faulty dipstick lol, i just changed teh oil in my bike and checked the dipstick to see if i needed to add more oil any its not even registering on the dip stick or its just to damn clean to be seen on it lol

bwkcobra03
01-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I just dropped my ds off for it's first service and the service manager of the dealer listened to the clacking sound then he started up another ds for me with alot more hours than mine and it is just as loud as mine. He told me they all sound like they are going to gernade. but it is normal. He also assured me if i mod my ds it will not void the warranty. just dont bring it in for hesitations. they will not warranty hesitations some afrermarket air filters, exhausts, amd programs can cause hesitations. He said put it back to stock if it still hesitates then they will fix it under warranty.

I am having the same problem with my dip stick. The oil is way to clean to see the level on the stick. I thing the dip stick should be silver instead of black may be even adding some black dye to the oil. LOL

hotshotgoal30
01-05-2009, 02:50 PM
here is my story of the day.. so i decided anhh ill take the quad to the dealership and let them fix the leak and check ou the clutch and whatnot. i was going to have them do the 10 hour service even though i only have 6 or 7 hours i figured its there let them do it. so i get my ramps out and mind you i have a ram that is lifted 2.5 inches with 35 inch tires so the ramps are pretty steep. no big dealiv done it a million times. i even hook up the chains on the ramps. i go to go up and my driveway is all ice and the ramps slip out and the back of the quad falls off the back of the truck and so do i. i see that its about to fall on me so i get out of the way and bam it rolls over backwards. still running. i flip it over and there is my brake lever hanging, handlebars bent and light switch broken. u got to be f****** kidding me. im heated iv loaded atvs my whole life and never done this before. so i pull it into the strret where there is no ice and it goes right up no problem. needless to say i didnt even need to take it in today. i was trying to do a little preventative maintence and i get screwed. new handlebars, light swict and brake assembly on order. and i cant afford the oil change now so thats gunna have to wait. what a day

bwkcobra03
01-05-2009, 03:01 PM
OUTCH that sucks. Whear in NY do you live???
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

TNT
01-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Go to page 134 in Operator's Guide you got with the quad to find out what voids your warranty. If you plan on modifying your quad at all and not letting a "authorized dealer" do just about all your work you wasted your money on an extended warranty. Further if you plan on racing this quad it is void....says right there, "The atv is used for racing or any other competitive activity"- void...."all genuine Can Am parts and accessories , installed by a dealer or not approved by BRP"-or void...."must use approved fluids, fuel, oil, lubs"-or void , "improper repairs, modifications, done by persons not authorized"or void!! ......lots of loop holes, outs, basically worthless to the average racer!

Quadevil
01-05-2009, 04:48 PM
The following are not warranted under any circumstances:
1 - Normal wear and tear;
2 - Routine maintenance items, tune ups, adjustments;
3 – Damage caused by failure to provide proper maintenance and/or storage, as described in the Operator's Guide;
4 – Damage resulting from removal of parts, improper repairs, service, maintenance, modifications or use of parts not manufactured or approved by BRP or resulting from repairs done by a person that is not an authorized servicing Distributor/Dealer;
5 – Damage caused by abuse, abnormal use, neglect or operation of the product in a manner inconsistent with the recommended operation described in the Operator’s Guide;
6 – Damage resulting from accident, submersion, fire, theft, vandalism any act of God;
7 – Operation with fuels, oils or lubricants which are not suitable for use with the product (see the Operator’s Guide);
8 – Water or snow ingestion;
9 – Incidental or consequential damages, or damages of any kind including without limitation towing, storage, telephone, rental, taxi, inconvenience, insurance coverage, loan payments, loss of time, loss of income.

They even mention "acts of God". So there you have it, pretty much anything that you do to your quad, external to your dealer, will void the warranty or will not be warranted at all.

hotshotgoal30
01-05-2009, 05:14 PM
i live up by niagara falls/ buffalo area. really icy this morning. ruined my darn day

TNT
01-05-2009, 05:19 PM
You know whats freaking crazy is they release an advertise all over the world a "race ready" quad then state right on the warranty page that it's "void if used for racing". Common Can Am stand behind your advertising and products better. :mad:

WesDS450X
01-05-2009, 05:59 PM
well think about it is, it is race ready but if your gona race it and rod the piss outta it there not gona warrenty a race bike lol, or esle id be going in every other week for a new motor =P

TNT
01-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Yeah but the way it's worded is you can't race it all!! I bet they all(suks, YAMs, KTM) do the same thing with these new race ready quads coming out not just Can am....the warranty is basically worthless! Nobody is going to take their quad in and have the dealer do everything, you'd spend more money at $60-95 hr doing that than the pay back for warranty coverage. Most bolt on's like pipes, intakes, k$N filters, etc are not going to hurt the motor. It's just their way of covering themselves and raking in business.

On the other hand alot of this stated stuff is just words. Can Am Dealers wants to treat it's customers right so they come back and spread the word, it will boil down to the service shop and what they think....rules are made to be broken.

Interesting glad I read that and I can see both sides. My warranty is toast with a bigger motor soon anyway. Oh well thats racing!! :D

hotshotgoal30
01-05-2009, 07:06 PM
my dealership told me that can-am is really good with their warranty. they really go above and beyond compared to others. they also said that usually they let you tear the quad up for a few weeks before actually starting the warranty, i dont know though maybe its just mine. my dealership treats me well, although i did used to work there

Mr. Big Time
01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
I am leaving my motor stock untill my warranty ends in 2011, or untill I really truly need more power. If something happends where i need warranty work, all my dealer is going to know, is I was riding it in my backyard. ;)

WesDS450X
01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
hmm, i just did my own intake setup pink wire mod and slip on and my warrenty is still good

Mr. Big Time
01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Mine is good with pipe, fmi, cut wire........what is your own intake?

WesDS450X
01-05-2009, 11:12 PM
just a peice of aftermarket civic intake tube

joeyds450x
01-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by WesDS450X
just a peice of aftermarket civic intake tube
post a pic of it i wanna see how it looks

mike_1985
01-06-2009, 04:19 AM
All the manufacturers do the same thing when it come to warranty . some worse then others .
Yamaha being the worse I think , on my quad due to the fact I ride alot 2 up on tarmac my bearings failed when I was 20miles from home . By the time I got home there was some serious crunching niose coming from the axle . Took it to the dealer and it turns out my bearings seized and I needed a new axle as they couldnt take them out . New axle under warranty and Can am didnt ask a question , also I used some crappy fuel once ( without knowing ) and it left crap in my fuel pump . can am replaced it without any questions .

Im quite happy with the warranty from Can Am and very happy with my dealer