View Full Version : Who's good with the law?

dirtbike&quad
01-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Alright, I got pulled over today doing "84" in a 65. Which is a joke because i am 100% i was not going that fast. theres a long story.

i'm on route 80 going over a hill, coming down the other side i see a cop and i check my speedo and see im going around 75. i look and he doesnt have his radar gun out (so i think?) and i told my friend he's still gonna pull us over (my truck is a cop magnet) and so he does. He pulls me over (and has a huge chunk of dip in his lip), "license registration and insurance" and i say ok hold on. i give it and he takes it and spits right next to my car. as I am about to ask what I'm getting pulled over for he says, "you know youre getting pulled for doing 84 in a 65. and i said 84? it wasn't 74? and he FLIPPED A **** and puts his hands on my door and says, "who the hell are you to question me. you have no authority to ask me ANYTHING and you don't respect me (keep in mind he has all this dip in his lip, spitting everywhere in my car and at me). he continued...you don't respect my car either. you saw me and didn't put on your brakes to slow down (thats an obvious sign of speeding...i let go of the gas and went down to 68, my exit was the next one anyways). so then he leaves and my friend is staring at me saying why the **** did he just freak out and i have no idea either. he comes back with my ticket and says here you go. and said "listen kid, youre lucky for me not giving you a ticket for obstruction of view (i have 1 of those little smelly tree things on my rear view mirror), im lucky because my license plates brackets cover the New Jersey on the bottom a little and he can give me a ticket for that, AND this was the worst part...
he tells me that I was lucky he didnt give me a ticket for my truck being too loud. i asked him what the limit was and he said "youre over it" and i asked him what the law is and he said he doesnt have to explain it but im breaking the loud muffler law (no joke) and i said/asked him if the company (flowmasters) sold me a product that is illegal in the state of new jersey. and he said yes. so i asked if i could sue them for selling me an illegal product and he goes (no joke), well you know they might be legal. AND THEN he goes, and your tint is too dark, AND I ALMOST LAUGHED but kept a straight face because i have FACTORY tint on my truck. i told him this is way the truck came from the factory and that my tint was fine, and then he looks around and says oh yeah well its fine in the front but the back is probably too tinted. (at this point im going nuts...) i asked him if i was allowed to see the radar gun that he got me with to see what he clocked me at and he told me he didnt have to and that all the information will be at court and he will have all his documentation.

i'm going to court because this guy was ridiculous. i realize i was speeding, i was going approx. 75, (which is why i thought he meant to say 74).

As if the guy wasnt fishy enough, my ticket was 84 in a 65, which falls into the 15-19mph over the limit category, 1mph closer to the next set which is 20-24mph over. ...was he trying to catch me a break? ha. i dont understand what i can do. i wasnt going over 80. WITHOUT a doubt i know for a FACT. i was speeding, i understand, but there was no one on the highway (not that that is an excuse) but there has to be something i can argue in court. this guy was NUTS.

Any help would be great. I checked my ticket online and it came up as invalid. I'll have to check into that as well. Court date is in a month.

Thanks a lot for any help
Mike

edit: this was a state cop.

trx400exxracer
01-04-2009, 08:33 PM
I think cops are supposed to ask you if you would like for them to check there gun again before writing you a ticket. If thats a requirement then you might could get out of a ticket but i am not sure. Also always ask them the last time there speed gun was calibrated. This might also be something you can argue about in court, that is if the gun wasn't calibrated correctly and properly on the set dates it was supposed to.

I'm no guru at this stuff, but check into that stuff it may help you out.

dirtbike&quad
01-04-2009, 08:35 PM
im worried the cop will just make a BS reading and go to court saying i was doing 84 when i really wasnt.

anyone know if the radar gun gets the exact time and date of the shot?

dpizz450
01-04-2009, 08:44 PM
that's pretty messed up. its very hard to argue something like that in court because its pretty much your word against theirs.
i do know in louisiana, by law you are allowed to see your speed clocked in on their radar gun. one time i got pulled over for speeding, and i asked him to let me see it on his gun. i knew i was speeding, but i just wanted to see if he was gonna show it to me. he showed it to me and said most cops would get pissed off if you asked them that.
the only legitimate argue, that i can think of, that you can bring up in court would be the fact he wouldn't show you your speed on his radar. check with your state laws and see what it says about that. not to mention he sounds like an a hole cop with the whole obstruction of view and all that. i've ran into a few rude ones like that before. good luck let us know what happens

dirtbike&quad
01-04-2009, 08:51 PM
i know i hear stories about dick cops and all that all the time but i have never experienced one until today. im going to go check my state laws. i might be able to go to Dodge and have my computer checked and see what my speeds were for any given day. we'll see what the computers bring up

SPDSNYPR
01-04-2009, 08:56 PM
If the radar was working during the tests before the stop and the tests after the stop, it is understood by the court to have been working during the stop (already case law on this). Stops are made on visual estimations, and verified by devices such as radar, lidar, etc. They don't usually fix themselves after they break down, and (here at least) we do three different tests to make sure they are working correctly. Most officers keep a log of when they test their radars.

I wasn't there, but I doubt you're telling the whole story as far as the entire contact is concerned. He might have been a dick, but I know very precious few cops who go off for no reason. If you think he was out of line (and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he was), you should take it up with his supervisors - not on the internet.

Also . . . why would he make your speed up? Really - I've always wondered why people think cops make up violations. What do you think the possible gains are?

Another thing, just because your speedo says you were going a certain speed doesn't mean you were. Many are off by a certain amount, and if you change tire size, your speedo is off. You can verify your speedo using a watch and the handy mile markers on the road. I know my Jeep that has bigger tires than factory is off. But I know by how much, and I have never been stopped a single time in it.

In most states, any exhaust that is louder than it comes from the factory is illegal.

If you think you were wronged, you absolutely have the right to go to court. You can present your evidence, and he will present his. This has only to do with the actual violation - not any misconduct (that is handles with internal complaints).

Good luck.

jason_31
01-04-2009, 09:03 PM
get an appointment with the crown attorny, its better than the other court and go in explaining ur story, they have been known to just throw a lot of cases out, my cousin got a ticket for 35 over and got it down to 15 by explaining what happend, admiting she was speeding (all to the crown attorney) im about to go do the same thing for the same ticket as hers, wish me luck and i wish you luck as well

brian76708
01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
since you were on the e way clock how many miles it was from the on ramp you got on to where you got pulled over. find out your average mpgs and admit to going 75 even if you average mpgs are lower.

KXRida
01-05-2009, 12:53 AM
If your exhaust is 50 state legal, there is 100% nothing they can do about it. Already been through this a few times between my brother's truck and my magnaflows. Legally I believe you can request to see the radar gun. I got out of a fishy ticket one time clocked doing 69 in a 45 (wasn't even close. I was probably about 55-60ish) and my speed was down to the tenth of a mph via "vascar." Using this technique, it should be almost impossible to calculate to 1/10 of a mph. Human error is more great as well. I stumped the officer when I asked him where the starting point was for timing and it differed from his police report.

bwamos
01-05-2009, 06:59 AM
Just pay a lawyer and get the ticket reduced to equipment malfunction and move on. ;)

Jblazin98
01-05-2009, 07:52 AM
In PA anything that is not put on from the factory "technacily" illegal like flowmasters and such. As for the tint it as long as it is darker that 75% it is not legal.

I would contact a lawyer to see if he has to show you the speed timing device. You DEF do not in PA if they request it you can tell them that the information will be available at the hearing if they choose to take one.

Also if you do have a hearing just check to see if the device was certified within the required time frame. All devices need to be checked and calibrated within 60 days. If not you will win the ticket.

Frostin
01-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
If your exhaust is 50 state legal, there is 100% nothing they can do about it. Already been through this a few times between my brother's truck and my magnaflows.

Around here that printed 50 state legal or dot approved doesn't mean crap. If your exhaust is too loud, they'll get you for being a "public annoyance" and that doesn't have any decible limit or anything like that, it's just if the officer precieves it as too loud.

What makes your truck a cop magnet???

dirtbike&quad
01-05-2009, 08:36 AM
cop was really on his high horse. this is how the story went, there is nothing else to it. i didnt make any of this up and didnt leave a detail out.

why would he make up a number? because the state needs money and giving me a ticket with a high speed will give them a lot of money because i might not be able to fight it.

my truck is a cop magnet because its a big orange truck you dont see anywhere else

lil_watz_ex
01-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Make sure you dont need a lawyer before going in there. I got a ticket for passing on the right side of a car turning at a light and went to my court date and the judge asked if I had an arguement and I was about to plead my case but he told me if I didnt have an attorney then I couldnt until I did. So I took my punishment and went with driving for three months.

coryatver
01-05-2009, 09:04 AM
i really doubt they are allowed to use tobacco products at work. That could be something you can use against him.

Jblazin98
01-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
i really doubt they are allowed to use tobacco products at work. That could be something you can use against him.

That has nothing to do with the ticket...Besides i doubt there is a policy against it..def unprofessional, but not a fatal flaw on a ticket...

gcart2
01-05-2009, 10:13 AM
could we see a picture of your truck

smr
01-05-2009, 10:49 AM
just go before the judge and be respectful. That will help a lot.

You made a statment that I have heard so many times and it's 100% not true. Never let off the gas and just cost till you slow down. The best way to avoid a ticket is to hit the breaks and let the cop know you are respecting him. My father in law is a cop and I ride with several cops. They all say the same thing. "I wouldn't have given him a ticket but he looked straight a me and never touched his brakes".

I know everyone says....don't hit your breaks that's only telling him you were speeding....trust me he all ready knows you were speeding. He most likely could have stopped several cars before he chose you. He chose you because he thought you were being desrespectful. (that's why he was so cocky when he came up to your window)

You might be able to ask the judge about the calibration records on the radar gun.

good luck.

KXRida
01-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Frostin
Around here that printed 50 state legal or dot approved doesn't mean crap. If your exhaust is too loud, they'll get you for being a "public annoyance" and that doesn't have any decible limit or anything like that, it's just if the officer precieves it as too loud.

What makes your truck a cop magnet???

9'' of lift, 35's and sometimes a heavy right foot.

As long as an exhaust meets the qualifactions to the state code book (which most do) there isn't a whole lot they can do about it. You may get a sound violation, but that's about it. I'm emission exempt, so I get can legally sometimes get away without running cats. In Blair county you're supposed to run cats, but it all depends how familiar the officer is with the code books and if he looks.

My favorite was getting pulled over because my truck was too tall. I loved when he said my front bumper was 36'' off of the ground. I politely replied, "Sir, that is impossible." He says, "why is that?" I returned, "I have 35'' tires and the bumper hangs below the tires." I was then issued a warning and he left. He wouldn't let me get out of the truck to see him measure it either. I asked if I could and he said no. I do get stopped occasionally for the no mud flaps. There has to be something to catch debris from a wheel at a 22 1/2 degree angle from the center of the hubs, but I honestly don't feel like putting on mud flaps.

My brother gets crap for no rear bumper (I sometimes do for a roll pan) but in 88 a rear bumper was an option for these trucks.

Premis
01-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Request a "motion for discovery" and get the video from the cop car, it will also have audio and would confirm your story about the cops misconduct. (must be done well before the trial date)

If you go to court the cop will give his lawyer prepared speech claiming that he did everything by the book including calibrating the radar. He will pretty much explain that he invented the radar while you sit there dumbfounded.

Most cops are good people that are just doing their jobs. Of course there are some bad apples. I'm kind of thinking this is a one sided story. You should get the dash cam tape and put it on youtube. You could probably sell it to one of those "caught on tape" programs! :D

adawg89
01-05-2009, 12:02 PM
you said you didn't see a radar gun well tell the judge that when you we're passing you did not a see a radar gun out of his window unless he used the dash radar.

SPDSNYPR
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
If your exhaust is 50 state legal, there is 100% nothing they can do about it. Already been through this a few times between my brother's truck and my magnaflows. Legally I believe you can request to see the radar gun. I got out of a fishy ticket one time clocked doing 69 in a 45 (wasn't even close. I was probably about 55-60ish) and my speed was down to the tenth of a mph via "vascar." Using this technique, it should be almost impossible to calculate to 1/10 of a mph. Human error is more great as well. I stumped the officer when I asked him where the starting point was for timing and it differed from his police report.

Oh, please stop. You are spreading false rumors, period. Crap like this gets people tickets.

If you are not spreading rumors, then please provide the state statute that says what makes an exhaust legal or illegal. You can follow that up by the law that says you can request to see the officer's radar.

I'll be waiting.

KXRida
01-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I'll be more than happy to get the code book from the state inspection office.

Do some research for yourself before you make irrational acqusitions again. You might just make yourself look dumb if your posts continue.

KXRida
01-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Found one of my inspection books...

Here is what is supplied from 067 Pa. Code 175.80. Inspection Procedure.

(i) The vehicle has no muffler or muffler has external repair.

(ii) There are loose or leaking joints.

(iii) There are holes, cracks or leaking seams in exhaust system.

(iv) There is a muffler cutout or similar device.

(v) Part of the exhaust system passes through the occupant compartment.

(vi) The elements are not securely fastened with proper clamps and hangers.

(vii) The exposed exhaust system does not have adequate heat shield or protective system.

(viii) The exhaust does not discharge to the outside edge of the vehicle body, including a truck bed, or as originally designed

Also found this (does not apply to emissions exempt vehicles registered as collectible or classic. Also applys to vehicles deemed under 5,000 miles per year via odometer reading)

1) The visual inspection shall be performed through direct observation or through indirect observation, using a mirror or other visual aid.

(2) Provided that the make and model year of the vehicle would have originally been equipped with the device, reject if one or more of the following apply:

(i) The catalytic converter has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(ii) Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(iii) Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(iv) Fuel inlet restrictor has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(v) Air pump has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(vi) Evaporative control system components have been removed, disconnected or are the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration

Says nothing about oe mufflers in there

adawg89
01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Found one of my inspection books...

Here is what is supplied from 067 Pa. Code 175.80. Inspection Procedure.

(i) The vehicle has no muffler or muffler has external repair.

(ii) There are loose or leaking joints.

(iii) There are holes, cracks or leaking seams in exhaust system.

(iv) There is a muffler cutout or similar device.

(v) Part of the exhaust system passes through the occupant compartment.

(vi) The elements are not securely fastened with proper clamps and hangers.

(vii) The exposed exhaust system does not have adequate heat shield or protective system.

(viii) The exhaust does not discharge to the outside edge of the vehicle body, including a truck bed, or as originally designed

Also found this (does not apply to emissions exempt vehicles registered as collectible or classic. Also applys to vehicles deemed under 5,000 miles per year via odometer reading)

1) The visual inspection shall be performed through direct observation or through indirect observation, using a mirror or other visual aid.

(2) Provided that the make and model year of the vehicle would have originally been equipped with the device, reject if one or more of the following apply:

(i) The catalytic converter has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(ii) Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(iii) Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(iv) Fuel inlet restrictor has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(v) Air pump has been removed, disconnected or is the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration.

(vi) Evaporative control system components have been removed, disconnected or are the wrong type for the certified vehicle configuration

Says nothing about oe mufflers in there

HA HA nice man nice no im laughing at you KXRida

KXRida
01-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by adawg89
HA HA nice man nice no im laughing at you KXRida

Laugh all you'd like..

Must be something with quad riders and a lack of intelligence

:p

27150.2 VC does not require police to use a sound meter to test for excessive noise. A citation is now based upon the officers judgment.

Citations are made on judgement alone at almost any traffic citation. If an officer is carrying a sound meter, more props to them. I guess almost every person running an aftermarket exhuast on their vehicle is in the wrong. :rolleyes:

Drewltr450
01-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Bring him to court ask for a radar print out with date and time. If like you said his radar gun was not out then you should be good.

D Bergstrom
01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad

my truck is a cop magnet because its a big orange truck you dont see anywhere else

Does your truck have large tires on it? If so, did you have your speedo recalibrated for the tires? Larger tires will throw your speedo off. I had a Toyota pickup that I went from the stock 28" tires to 32" tires, speedo was off by 7 mph. (So if my speedo was reading 70, I was really going 77 mph.) Could be the reason you said you were doing 75 and you were really doing 84.

Doug

300ex_#387
01-05-2009, 03:28 PM
That is true...I have 35's on my truck and my spedo says im going 55 when im really going 63.

Sjorge450R
01-05-2009, 04:15 PM
the speedo problem can be adjusted with a simple plastic gear that is put in the tranny near the speedo cable.

As for the ticket, i doubt he will show up to court which will drop the points on your liscence and then all you need to do is pay the fine and go on with you life. As for how the cop acted, you probaly wont get too far with that. They say no one is higher than the law, but that in fact is not true.

quad2xtreme
01-05-2009, 04:29 PM
If you have a clean driving record...

My advice is to go to court, say you did it, mention nothing of the officer's behavior, and don't take a lawyer with you. Most likely you will walk away with Probation Before Judgment.

Attitude and talking negatively about the officer will most likely land you a harsher sentence. Taking a lawyer will probably get you PBJ too but you will have to pay the lawyer.

Watch the people before you if you don't go early. You will get a feel for the Judge before your case.

300ex_#387
01-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
If you have a clean driving record...

My advice is to go to court, say you did it, mention nothing of the officer's behavior, and don't take a lawyer with you. Most likely you will walk away with Probation Before Judgment.

Attitude and talking negatively about the officer will most likely land you a harsher sentence. Taking a lawyer will probably get you PBJ too but you will have to pay the lawyer.

Watch the people before you if you don't go early. You will get a feel for the Judge before your case.

Sounds like you have been around the block a few times...:devil: haha

dirtbike&quad
01-05-2009, 06:04 PM
said truck:

dirtbike&quad
01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
my speedo is only off by about 2mph and thats not even an issue, i wasnt going over 80 even with the 2mph increase.

i checked and did not see any radar gun. i could be wrong but i did not see anything.

i will see if i can get video footage

im going to report the misconduct of the police officer to the headquarters

im going to ask for a print out of the radar gun scan, time, etc

i might know the judge for my case which will be very helpful

D Bergstrom
01-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
said truck:

Well, no big tires there, throw my whole theory out the window!

Doug

dirtbike&quad
01-05-2009, 07:47 PM
la west (company that customized this truck for dodge) started off with the most basic 4x4 quad cab you could get from dodge (meaning 245 wheels) and i have 275s. so its a bit off. only by 2 or 3 mph tho

01-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Talking about exhausts their is no such thing as a 50 state legal aftermarket exhaust. My state law is that any thing other than a factory exhaust is illegal and the factory exhaust can not be modafied in any way and has to be like 70dbs in the cities here and can be 80 somthing out side of town. A lot of states have a 95 or 96db exhaust sound limit.

300ex_#387
01-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by SuzukiO
Talking about exhausts their is no such thing as a 50 state legal aftermarket exhaust. My state law is that any thing other than a factory exhaust is illegal and the factory exhaust can not be modafied in any way and has to be like 70dbs in the cities here and can be 80 somthing out side of town. A lot of states have a 95 or 96db exhaust sound limit.

It's the same with my state. Any modification to factory exhaust is illegal. Even if you put a nice shiny chrome tip on your exhaust you can get busted for it. A couple of my friends have got pulled over just because the state cop saw the tips. Town cops arent as bad about it, they just look for loud exhaust.

Frostin
01-06-2009, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
It's the same with my state. Any modification to factory exhaust is illegal. Even if you put a nice shiny chrome tip on your exhaust you can get busted for it. A couple of my friends have got pulled over just because the state cop saw the tips. Town cops arent as bad about it, they just look for loud exhaust.

You'd think they would have something more important to look into than to a modified exhaust...

bwamos
01-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Says nothing about oe mufflers in there [/B]

Just so you have all the info. There's more to the regulations than what is checked for state saftey inspections.

PA Code

§ 175.75. Exhaust systems.
(a) Condition of exhaust system. All components of the exhaust system shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Exhaust system requirements. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated to prevent engine exhaust gases from penetrating and collecting in any part of the vehicle occupied by the driver or a passenger, in addition to requirements of this title for an emission control system and smoke control for a diesel-powered vehicle.

(1) A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise-suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation. A muffler or exhaust system may not be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device and a muffler may not show evidence of external repair.

(2) The exhaust system of a vehicle may not be modified in a manner which will amplify or increase noise emitted by the motor of a vehicle above the maximum level permitted by Chapter 157 (relating to established sound levels).

(3) Headers and side exhaust are permitted if the vehicle meets the requirements of this section.

(4) An exposed exhaust system shall be equipped with an adequate heat shield or protective system.

(5) An exhaust system shall extend and discharge completely to the outside edge of the vehicle body, including a truck bed, or as originally designed.

(6) A firefighting vehicle is exempt from regulations concerning exhaust systems, mufflers and noise control.

Authority

The provisions of this § 175.75 amended under the Vehicle Code, 75 Pa.C.S. § § 4103, 4301, 4501, 4521 and 6103.

================================================== =

§ 157.11. Vehicular noise limits.
(a) Prohibition. No person shall operate either a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles of a type subject to registration at any time or under any condition of grade, load, acceleration or deceleration in such a manner as to exceed the following noise limit for the category of motor vehicle within the speed limits specified in Table 1.

TABLE 1
Maximum Permissible Sound Level Readings (decibel (A))
Highway operations test

(1) Any motor vehicle with a manufacturers gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 pounds or more and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicle.
Soft Site <35mph 86 / >35mph 90 ... Hard Site <35mph 88 / <35mph 92

(2) Any motorcycle other than a motor-driven cycle.
Soft Site <35mph 82 / >35mph 86 ... Hard Site <35mph 84 / <35mph 88

3) Any other motor vehicle and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicles.
Soft Site <35mph 76 / >35mph 82 ... Hard Site <35mph 78 / <35mph 84

(1) Any motor vehicle with a manufacturers gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 pounds or more and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicle.
(2) Any motorcycle other than a motor-driven cycle.
3) Any other motor vehicle and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicles.

(b) Measurement distance. The noise limits established by this section shall be based on a distance of 50 feet from the center lane of travel within the speed limit specified in this section. Measurements at distances closer than 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel may be made. In such a case, the measuring device shall be so calibrated as to provide for measurements equivalent to the noise limit established by this section measured at 50 feet.

(c) Trucks. A truck, truck tractor, or bus that is not equipped with an identification plate or marking bearing the name and gross vehicle weight rating of the manufacturer shall be considered as having a gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 pounds or more if the unladen weight is more than 5,000 pounds.

(d) Exemptions. This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) The sound generated by a warning device, such as a horn or siren, installed in a motor vehicle, unless such device is intentionally sounded in order to preclude an otherwise valid noise emission measurement.

(2) An emergency vehicle, such as a fire department vehicle, police vehicle, ambulance, blood-delivery vehicle, armed forces emergency vehicle, one private vehicle of fire or police chief or assistant chief or ambulance corps commander or assistant commander or of a river rescue commander, or other vehicles designated by the State Police as emergency vehicles, when responding to an emergency call.

(3) A snow plow in operation.

(4) The sound generated by special mobile equipment which is normally operated only when the motor vehicle on which it is installed is stopped or is operating at a speed of 5 miles per hour or less, unless such device is intentionally operated at speeds greater than 5 miles per hour in order to preclude an otherwise valid noise measurement.

KXRida
01-06-2009, 08:10 AM
I do stand corrected on that, but one must verify that it is infact louder than OE specifications.

300ex_#387
01-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Frostin
You'd think they would have something more important to look into than to a modified exhaust...

You would think...a lot of times it just happens here when state cops start hanging around town looking for something. Most of the time they pull you over for that and end up getting your truck searched. My friend last week drives a lifted checy and got pulled over for his tailights being to bright. He uses OEM tailights and there isn't anything special about them. The cop searched his truck then let him go. State cops are douche bags.

stumpleg
01-06-2009, 08:56 AM
You would think...a lot of times it just happens here when state cops start hanging around town looking for something. Most of the time they pull you over for that and end up getting your truck searched. My friend last week drives a lifted checy and got pulled over for his tailights being to bright. He uses OEM tailights and there isn't anything special about them. The cop searched his truck then let him go. State cops are douche bags.

Did he have a reason to search his truck? Unlawful search maybe?

PolarisRider06
01-06-2009, 10:44 AM
the 50 state legal exhaust systems are not 50 state legal for sound levels it is for emmissions levels. if you get a summit racing catalog they have a logo in there for systems that are 50 state legal and i guess they are supposed to inclued some C.A.R.B. certification number that is stamped on them or on a paper/certificate that comes with the system or something like that and since the California Air Research Board has the strictest emmisions standards in the country if it is certified by them as emmisions legal for california that would make it emmisions legal for the rest of the country.

now on the noise levels states/cities are supposed to have a legal DB limit and distance it should be measured at. there was an article in Super Street a couple years ago about it. the reasoning behind them having a specific DB limit is that if there isn't a specific number then its all up to the officers discretion and if the said officer doesn't like trucks every single one that he "decides" is to loud and writes a ticket for would be to loud no matter if its a factory exhaust with a little bit of rumble to it or if its a set of magnaflows or if its completely straight piped... same situation if the cop didn't like ricers, or harleys, or rockets, or muscle cars.... there has to be a specific DB limit no matter where you are to prevent officer discrimination against vehicle types.

but then like someone else said earlier where they are at the law is that the exhaust system must be OEM which in that case if you had flowmasters it would be illegal. if you had a vehicle that was loud from the factory they still need to have a DB limit because mufflers do wear out and do get louder over time so they have to have a certain DB limit that if you exceed it you must replace your OEM exhaust with new OEM exhaust

if you have a OEM only law in your area do like my cousin used to always do to his vehicles, cut the factory welds on the mufflers gut them out or weld a piece of pipe going straight through them and reweld them into place on the same seams they originally were, if you're a good welder it looks like its factory and they cant say anything other than that your muffler is worn out and should be replaced if it ends up being rediculously loud because it technically is a factory eshaust system and if done right doesn't appear to have been tampered with in any way its just loud... lol...

300ex_#387
01-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by stumpleg
Did he have a reason to search his truck? Unlawful search maybe?

He shouldn't have had a reason. There wasn't anything in it and my friend stays out of trouble. Like I said state cops here are douche bags...

01-06-2009, 02:10 PM
He shouldn't have had a reason. There wasn't anything in it and my friend stays out of trouble. Like I said state cops here are douche bags...

They still cant go in your car/truck. They have to smell or see drugs/alcohol. If they dont they cant go in search at less you say they can. The only thing they can search is you your self for their safty.

Heres is some very good info on what to do when you get pulled over and other stuff. Its a long vid but worth watching.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqMjMPlXzdA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqMjMPlXzdA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SPDSNYPR
01-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Well, crap. I just wasted my time looking up both the PA and NJ laws on exhaust in response to KX's post about me doing research so as not to look like an idiot. Everything I was going to post seems to have been covered.

Off to go harass people in orange trucks because I have nothing better to do. :rolleyes:

SPDSNYPR
01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
[B]They still cant go in your car/truck. They have to smell or see drugs/alcohol. If they dont they cant go in search at less you say they can. The only thing they can search is you your self for their safty.

More wrong internet advice. There are many more reasons officers can search a vehicle than just the odor of alcohol/drugs. But, hey - if you want to trust a video posted on Youtube for your legal advice, get it. Always a good move.

01-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by SPDSNYPR
More wrong internet advice. There are many more reasons officers can search a vehicle than just the odor of alcohol/drugs. But, hey - if you want to trust a video posted on Youtube for your legal advice, get it. Always a good move.

I watch cops and other cop shows every day. They always only search if they smell or see somthing. They even tell the people they pulled over that some times. But the people on them shows fryed their brains and normaly have drugs in their car but still tell the cop go ahead look.

01-06-2009, 03:21 PM
What other reasons can they have to search? Past criminal record?

c450Razy
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
almost postive if its locked you need a warrnt to search it.. wrong?

SPDSNYPR
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I may have not represented that well . . . .

Consent searches (asking the driver or owner if they can search the car) and odors (weed, alcohol, etc) are the most likely reasons to search a car - but not the only reasons by a longshot.

Cars are mobile, and therefore represent an exigent circumstance (SCOTUS ruling). Preemptive stops (stops for minor traffic violation where other illegal activity is likely, such as communication from another officer working drug cases, stolen property cases, etc) are very common. If a UC officer or CI is used, the officer may ask for consent to basically protect his source. But if not given, he likely already has PC to search. Since the exigent circumstance exists, no warrant is needed.

This is just one example. A good interdiction officer can find all sorts of reasons to search a car - all perfectly legal and that have stood the test of courts (which contrary to popular belief, are not particularly officer friendly in most cases).

I know most people hate cops - it's natural. But I urge anyone here to not take the vast majority of legal advice (unless specific state law or relevant case law is cited) as anything but a bad rumor. Don't get yourself into trouble based on something you are reading on an internet forum. It's just asking for trouble, and you are dooming yourself to failure.

01-06-2009, 03:52 PM
i get a kick out of this...my wife used to be a paralegal for a criminal defense attorney...he was mostly court appointed and some of the things his clients would ask him to try to do to get them out of trouble because they heard they could beat the system were pretty funny...

01-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i get a kick out of this...my wife used to be a paralegal for a criminal defense attorney...he was mostly court appointed and some of the things his clients would ask him to try to do to get them out of trouble because they heard they could beat the system were pretty funny...

The systems screwed up I was charged with a criminal crime I didnt do. The way it seems is the person who gets the most police reports from other people on their side and lies the best on the reports wins. At least thats how it was for me. They called their lawyer and he tole them exactly what to do and how to lie to keep their self out of jail and to get the good guy charged. My lawyer owed the judge money so he tole me to plea no contest and instead of not guilty. :rolleyes:

dpizz450
01-06-2009, 06:03 PM
The systems screwed up I was charged with a criminal crime I didnt do. The way it seems is the person who gets the most police reports from other people on their side and lies the best on the reports wins. At least thats how it was for me. They called their lawyer and he tole them exactly what to do and how to lie to keep their self out of jail and to get the good guy charged. My lawyer owed the judge money so he tole me to plea no contest and instead of not guilty. :rolleyes:

not to get off topic, but why would your lawyer owe the judge money?

01-06-2009, 06:21 PM
judges and lawyers are all social...

it is always someone the other guys fault, i am innocent i tell ya