PDA

View Full Version : Tie-rods

04TRX400EX
01-04-2009, 07:50 PM
I was trying to install some new a-arms today but got hung up on the tie-rods. The inside jam nuts seem to be seized or corroded and will not move no matter how much force is applied. The lower nuts loosened easily. What can I do to loosed these nuts? I've tried hammers, WD-40, you name it. Thanks!

soyo
01-04-2009, 07:53 PM
take the ball joint off with the tie rod and stick it in a vise and you will be able to get more leverage on the nut! they dont need to be killer tight either.

NacsMXer
01-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
I was trying to install some new a-arms today but got hung up on the tie-rods. The inside jam nuts seem to be seized or corroded and will not move no matter how much force is applied. The lower nuts loosened easily. What can I do to loosed these nuts? I've tried hammers, WD-40, you name it. Thanks!

You know that one set of jam nuts is reverse thread and the other set is normal thread right? If you didn't, then theres your problem. Loosen the remaining set of nuts in the opposite direction you loosened the ones you already broke loose.

04TRX400EX
01-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I did a search and came across the same question from 2006. The upper jam nuts are reverse threaded from what you'd think. The left side of the quad (rider's perspective) loosens towards the rear of the quad while the right side of the quad loosens towards the front - both nuts loosen the same way.

How hard would it be for the freakin manual to note that so people wouldn't sit there and fight the damn thing for an hour? Oh well, at least they're off now.

04TRX400EX
01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
You know that one set of jam nuts is reverse thread and the other set is normal thread right? If you didn't, then theres your problem. Loosen the remaining set of nuts in the opposite direction you loosened the ones you already broke loose.

Now I know. Thanks :D

NacsMXer
01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
I did a search and came across the same question from 2006. The upper jam nuts are reverse threaded from what you'd think. The left side of the quad (rider's perspective) loosens towards the rear of the quad while the right side of the quad loosens towards the front - both nuts loosen the same way.

How hard would it be for the freakin manual to note that so people wouldn't sit there and fight the damn thing for an hour? Oh well, at least they're off now.

LOL, they'll get ya every time :p

What manual are you using? My Honda service manual clearly makes a note of this important tidbit of info.