PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use a Bowflex?

416exfreak
01-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Well, I got one for free from my uncle.

Its the Bowflex XLT Pro model, it has the leg attachments and a few other odds and ends.

What it did NOT come with was the manual on the different excercises, diet plans, etc.

If anyone here has any advice on a workout routine for this machine, or a way to get the literature on this machine, it would really appreciate it if you could help me out! :)

Thanks,
Justin

honda400ex68b
01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
here you go http://www.bowflexhomegyms.com/bowflex_home_gyms/customersupport/manuals.jsp?lid=Assembly+and+Owners+Manuals+-+Manuals
it depends on how old it is if they still have it listed or not. i got the extreme one a year ago and it definitely helps alot. i lost 25 lbs and gained 8 to 10 back in muscle so far. i think the diet is the same for all of the bowflex. lots of water 1 1/2 gallons a day when your done. it works if you stay with it and the program. any more questions let me know.

416exfreak
01-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex68b
here you go http://www.bowflexhomegyms.com/bowflex_home_gyms/customersupport/manuals.jsp?lid=Assembly+and+Owners+Manuals+-+Manuals
it depends on how old it is if they still have it listed or not. i got the extreme one a year ago and it definitely helps alot. i lost 25 lbs and gained 8 to 10 back in muscle so far. i think the diet is the same for all of the bowflex. lots of water 1 1/2 gallons a day when your done. it works if you stay with it and the program. any more questions let me know.

THANKS!!!:D

As far as using the machine, how early did YOU start to see results, and did you follow thier training routines, or did you use your own?

Any modifications to your diet?

I dont really drink sodas, mostly water and juice, dont eat alot of sweets or junk, alot of fruit and meat though. (chicken, steak, and fish)

honda400ex68b
01-04-2009, 06:57 PM
started to see results in about 2 to 3 weeks or so. since summer i gained 2" to 2 1/2" around my arms. i used their training routines and then after awhile, used some of mine. the diet is probably the biggest part to losing the weight. i changed mine a little, just coffee i had to cut out. it tells in the book how it works and it does. your diet looks good. no caffiene, soda's, etc. it says 60% carbs, 20% fat and 20% protein.

416exfreak
01-04-2009, 07:03 PM
I dont need to lose weight, just gain muscle...

Im 16 years old, run Cross Country (varsity), and am running 6-9 miles per day consistantly.

Right now, im 6'0" and weigh roughly 140lbs, do you think that, by the end of may I could be closer to 160? With the proper workout routines of course, and a serious dedication to working out.

I eat 3-4 times a day, usually 2 fried egg sandwiches in the morning before school, a powerbar around 9:45, lunch around 11, and dinner by about 5.

honda400ex68b
01-04-2009, 07:09 PM
the more weight you do with it, the more muscle you will gain. your probably not done growing yet. did you read the manual for it? it tells you in there about that i think. i think you could get to that weight by then shouldnt be a problem.

416exfreak
01-04-2009, 07:11 PM
I have not had a chance to look at the link you posted yet, but if thats the manual then no, I havent read it yet.

I will as soon as I get the chance though!:)

Do you think it would be a wise idea to start using whey protein or creatine or anything like that? Or should a good diet cover me?

ridered11
01-04-2009, 07:28 PM
on another note, you won't see serious muscle gains/ weight gains running that much distance consistently. i'm not saying it's bad for you, but running such long distances actually depletes some of your muscle growth when your fat/ energy reserves run out. and by the sound of it (being only 140) that could be what is happening.

416exfreak
01-04-2009, 07:32 PM
What if I cut the running down to 3-4 days a week instead of 6?

Would that help? Thats kind of why I asked about the creatine or whey protein. I wondered if thay would help build muscle mass, and allow me to keep up my cardiovascular fitness.

atvmaster0927
01-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
on another note, you won't see serious muscle gains/ weight gains running that much distance consistently. i'm not saying it's bad for you, but running such long distances actually depletes some of your muscle growth when your fat/ energy reserves run out. and by the sound of it (being only 140) that could be what is happening.

I agree with you 100% on that. My dad used to be a professional body builder and i am starting to get into it now. And if your looking to gain muscle, you dont wanna run long distances.

Just eat low fat and high protein and you'll be good. I've been working out and eating right for about a month and had seen major results. I've been doing weights 3-4 days a week and on other days I run on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

You might not evan see any difference in wieght on the scale. ALWAYS go by the mirror, it never lies. Thats what my dad always says. And its true.

ridered11
01-04-2009, 07:40 PM
cutting it down would definitely help, i would also consider changing the types of running you are doing. for strictly cardiovascular fitness running a hill, or sets of sprints would do the trick, instead of running such long distances.

at a runners stand point, whey protein supplement would be the way to go, creatine would bulk you up but often bloats you.

i would recommend changing the type of running you are doing/ cutting it down, and getting on a healthy workout supplement if you want to see some gains in muscle mass and weight while still keeping your fitness.

416exfreak
01-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me!

Are they any good bodybuilding forums to go to?

And as far as gaining muscle mass, I dont really want to look like Arnold did in the 80's and 90's. I just want to gain a little muscle mass, some deffinition and strength.

Once again, thanks everyone!:)

ridered11
01-04-2009, 07:49 PM
http://www.leanbulk.com/forum/

you can do some reading there

supplements will help you stay focused and motivated as well as helping you gain the results you desire

but as always nothing good comes without hard work

Mxjunkie
01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
THANKS!!!:D

As far as using the machine, how early did YOU start to see results, and did you follow thier training routines, or did you use your own?

Any modifications to your diet?

I dont really drink sodas, mostly water and juice, dont eat alot of sweets or junk, alot of fruit and meat though. (chicken, steak, and fish)

I eat junk food, half gallons of ice cream and micky d's and use a bowflex every day at work so I'm not sure if changing the diet is nessary lol I don't have a bit of fat on me but like atvmaster0927 posted about running, I run on the treadmill for half an hour every morning not counting all the pushing along I do skating around the shop heh.. As for the bowflex routines they work nice, I use to have really bad back pains from a wreck I had about 6 months ago and I've noticed the more I excericise the less the pain drags on during the day.

I still say free weights are better for putting on mass and a bowflex is more for getting cut.