PDA

View Full Version : rear axle removal Question

snacob14
01-04-2009, 02:50 PM
How do you do it. I've looked at this thing for an hour and can't figure it out. The big nut won't back off, I can't figure out how to fit the allen wrench in the brake disk to take it off. Then to I pound off the disk mount from the splines...I'm lost. help

Fear250r
01-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Is it the stock nut or an anti fade? The stock nut has a left hand thread on it. Once you separate the two, take them both off, then the disc and the axle will slide out from the left side. With the anti fade, loosen the allen nut, spin it off, take off the disc and again, take the axle out the left side.

danhung11
01-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Fear250r
Is it the stock nut or an anti fade? The stock nut has a left hand thread on it. Once you separate the two, take them both off, then the disc and the axle will slide out from the left side. With the anti fade, loosen the allen nut, spin it off, take off the disc and again, take the axle out the left side.

You must first compress either the stock locknut or antifade by the threads. Look at the thread pattern to determine that. Then, you must take the snap ring off. Everything else should come right off.

Hope this helps.

snacob14
01-04-2009, 06:40 PM
it is a stock setup. What do you mean compress. Do I loosen both or do I abck the nut on the right, and then go the opposite way with the nut on the left?

DEERCHOOPER
01-04-2009, 06:47 PM
look at the nut then the axle, there is a c clip on the axle. you need to loosen the nut so you can remove the clip and it will slide off

danhung11
01-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by snacob14
it is a stock setup. What do you mean compress. Do I loosen both or do I abck the nut on the right, and then go the opposite way with the nut on the left?

The thin nut on the left is the locking part, that must go towards the brake hub, then adjust the right nut towards the brake hub. Once you expose the snap ring, take it off with a screwdriver. The locknut assembly should now just slide off along with the brake hub.

What I meant with compress is to bring the locking nut and nut to the left which in turn makes it narrower or "compressed". :ermm:

If you mess up the one you have or it is in horrible shape, would suggest a new one or anti-fade. I have an OEM one that is perfect i'd sell.

snacob14
01-05-2009, 05:38 AM
awesome, thank for the help. I"ll let you know how it turns out and if I need that nut.

snacob14
01-05-2009, 07:35 PM
thanks for the help guys, got it all apart tonight. Now just gotta wait for the bearings to show up!!!