PDA

View Full Version : thumb fatige question

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-18-2002, 02:57 PM
Hey guys ,

Anywhone tryed these trick from LRD racing :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thumb Fatigue: How to increase stamina when racing.

Thumb fatigue is a major issue with a lot of racers. Most racers will just try and get used to the battle against the thumb. Here is one tip guaranteed to help you waive goodbye to the rest of the pack. Take out your spring from the carburetor and take it to a sanding bench or wheel. Simply grind a LITTLE metal from the outer circumference of the spring. This will dramatically change the spring rate where you will not even be able to tell that you have a spring in your carburetor. You will quickly be on your way to lasting the WHOLE race and will feel that you even accelerate harder.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anywhone has done this , could ya post pics or explain witch spring he is talking about ?

Is it worth a try ?

tnx

Kenny

ny300exrider
12-18-2002, 03:03 PM
wow, sounds pretty cool lol...i wonder how it works

Sparks425Ex
12-18-2002, 03:11 PM
Wouldn't that cause the rate of the spring puttign the throttle back to closed throttle alot slower. Like if you were doing top speed and totally let off. Wouldn't it take longer for teh spring to totally decompress?

Is any of what I am saying make sense?

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-18-2002, 03:13 PM
I do not now man ...You're the experts ?:devil :devil

Fleshwound
12-18-2002, 03:40 PM
yes it does work "forum" on here did it to his old r and it worked but very minimal, but i guess it is worth it considering it is minimal work...
make sure you take very little amount of steel off the circumference though..

phatswinn
12-18-2002, 04:52 PM
if you ride enough u wont have that problem at all

tprender
12-18-2002, 07:09 PM
My thumb does not get sore or tired anymore. I use it to open all of my beer cans. Doing to things at the same time, drinking beer and working out.

airheadedduner
12-18-2002, 11:03 PM
I have done it. It works okay. I mean its not the best improvement but it works well. Getting a new cable really helps too. I wonder if thoose new terry cable thrumb throttle assemblys help any. I a not sure about the EX but I heard if you put a 300EX thumb throttle on an R it helps a lot.

UnameItIRideIt
12-19-2002, 12:13 AM
Have you ever rode with a twist throttle?

KAWSAM62
12-19-2002, 07:30 AM
heres another way take the end of the spring that fits over the stud(not the end that connected to the shaft) and bend a piece of stainless steel wire into a circle joining the ends into a knot put one end over the spring the other end over the stud,now what you have done is reduced the spring tention on the shaft making it easyer on your tumb also so this piece of stainless steel wire doesnt fall off twist the wire so its in the carb flat(thats flat against the stud) also on the carb bowl there is 4 screws that hold the bowl on one of the screws is in the perfect position that when you use a longer screw it will hold the piece of wire from coming of the stud so this repair has almost no chance of coming off i bought the screw from lows and shortened it to the proper length before puting the carb back together ive done this mod on 4 other 400s that have been in use for over a year with no problems and the tumbs are all better now also just a note if the circle is to big when you let of the throttle your idile might not come back to normal if this happens just make a smaller circle of stainless steel wire untill you get the right balance between spring pressure and idile its not all that sensitive but i was afraid of grinding my spring and the cost to replace if i messed up this way you can always make it stock again easyly and the wire i use was .032 s/s welding rod im a tig welder so its easy for me to get just a different aproach to make hope this helps good luck. :cool:

Taco
12-19-2002, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by KAWSAM62
heres another way take the end of the spring that fits over the stud(not the end that connected to the shaft) and bend a piece of stainless steel wire into a circle joining the ends into a knot put one end over the spring the other end over the stud,now what you have done is reduced the spring tention on the shaft making it easyer on your tumb also so this piece of stainless steel wire doesnt fall off twist the wire so its in the carb flat(thats flat against the stud) also on the carb bowl there is 4 screws that hold the bowl on one of the screws is in the perfect position that when you use a longer screw it will hold the piece of wire from coming of the stud so this repair has almost no chance of coming off i bought the screw from lows and shortened it to the proper length before puting the carb back together ive done this mod on 4 other 400s that have been in use for over a year with no problems and the tumbs are all better now also just a note if the circle is to big when you let of the throttle your idile might not come back to normal if this happens just make a smaller circle of stainless steel wire untill you get the right balance between spring pressure and idile its not all that sensitive but i was afraid of grinding my spring and the cost to replace if i messed up this way you can always make it stock again easyly and the wire i use was .032 s/s welding rod im a tig welder so its easy for me to get just a different aproach to make hope this helps good luck. :cool:
I think i need a beer now:huh

KAWSAM62
12-19-2002, 07:48 AM
also tried that twist throttle almost wreaked on the first deep whoop i dont know about on the track but for trail riding its real dangerous and hard to control just my opinion.:(

Pappy
12-19-2002, 07:53 AM
i have the terry billet throttle now....i havent used it yet. i have also found that disassembling the throttle and replacing the 2 small bushings inside and lubing the "arm" it will feel much lighter. althought they are sealed....the bushings start to get gummed up and drag. the bushings are real cheap and its an easy fix:)

KAWSAM62
12-19-2002, 07:53 AM
i know wordy but i tried to give all the info if anyone did deside to do this:(

forum
12-19-2002, 08:11 AM
Yea i tried that thing from lrd's website. My throtle got super stiff after i installed A 38mm airstryker. I't didn't help all that much but it was definatly noticeable. The best thing to do is to get a new throtle cable. They only last about a season after that they get to gummed and worn out. But always Spray some wd-40 or other lube down the throtle cable to prolong the life and feel.

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-19-2002, 12:11 PM
does anywhone have pic's of there mods ....

greetings

Kenny

Syrus
12-19-2002, 02:03 PM
When that happends to my thumb, i just hold my hand farther out on my handle grip and it goes away... cost $00.00 and no work involved :D