PDA

View Full Version : FCR carb trouble on a 05 trx450r

jhtrx250r
01-04-2009, 12:24 AM
I am having nothing but trouble with the jetting on my 05 450r

I bought a 04 crf 450r carb with the adaptor kit already installed off ebay it has a boyson quick shot on it and the tps sensor blocked off
my450
HRC cam
LRD full exhaust
titanium valves
WB rev box
K&N filter kit no air box lid
goki electric start kit

Now heres the problem I bought the FCR carb because every time I hop on the YFZ 450 I bought my girlfriend it just about pulls my arms out of the sockets when I stab it off the line.
My trx 450 no it wont it is pretty smooth and has as much pull or more on the top but the bottom no, it has been weak ever since new and with every up grade it gains more top end but no bottom.
well I know the stock CV style carb the 04-05 trx 450's come with is a peice of crap and the yamahas come with the much better FCR carb so I thought that would be the ticket (hey it worked on the DRZ dirt bike)
so I bought one now I can not get the jetting straight
Here is what i have
LRD FCR needle 7th clip
45 pilot
165 main
air scew 1.75 turns
this is what i heard to run I started with a 42 pilot and the 5th clip dident idle well, backfired through the mid and ran good to ok on the top
I upped the pilot to a 45 richened up the needle, idled ok still poped some in the mid ran ok on the top

Any one got any info to help me ?
good luck with jetting this conversion?

pro-rider46
01-04-2009, 12:33 AM
i think you should maybe try to get a hrc needle to try out. your saying it runs like crap in the mid, thats where the needle really effects the jetting. I dont know anything about the needle your running.

jhtrx250r
01-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks I will check in to that, I know I realy need to post the needle # I will have to pull the tank and get it.
It is the needle LRD recomends for the TRX and the YFZ FCR carbs

jhtrx250r
01-04-2009, 01:12 AM
I think the needle is currently a GFP not sure if that sounds right but that is what I remember buying
Thanks

d3ktrix
01-04-2009, 01:25 AM
The stock CRF needle is a very good needle.
If u can't tune the mid range with the current needle then ditch it an get a stock CRF needle.

And the boysen quick shot is known to hurt top end power.
You don't need it anyway, the bottom end bog that everyone installs them to fix can be fixed by using a larger leakjet.
#55 leakjet is a good starting point.

Also the previous owner shouldn't of removed the TPS, it has a purpose.
The plug on it can be changed to plug into the 05 TRX harness.

Your main and pilot are in a reasonable range, by the sounds of it you need to work on the needle.