PDA

View Full Version : who to rebuild shocks ?

rigger
01-03-2009, 07:19 PM
I am rebuilding an old 250R. It will be a long term project and I am doing most of my research for it now more than building.

I have a pair of front Works, tripple rate springs, no res. And a 250R rear shock that was supose to have been revalved and sprung for a 180 pound rider. The front pair was also suppose to be from a 180 pound rider on extended a-arms but they are a little longer than stock shocks and I can compress them on the stock a-arms I have now easier than a pair of 400EX shocks that were on this front end.

The front look fine other than cosmetics and the unknown of how they are set up.

The rear needs a new rubber bump stop and I guess a good tune up as well.

I am about a 165 pounds and ride trails aggressivley.

Anybody know who would be good to send all three to for a good going over and or set them up for me?

I called Works and they gave me some worst case cost at about $300 for the front and $340 on the rear. This was complete rebuilds.

Funds are very limited on this project so I am looking to get the best bang for the buck.
I am located in the Charleston area of SC.

400exrider707
01-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by rigger
I am rebuilding an old 250R. It will be a long term project and I am doing most of my research for it now more than building.

I have a pair of front Works, tripple rate springs, no res. And a 250R rear shock that was supose to have been revalved and sprung for a 180 pound rider. The front pair was also suppose to be from a 180 pound rider on extended a-arms but they are a little longer than stock shocks and I can compress them on the stock a-arms I have now easier than a pair of 400EX shocks that were on this front end.

The front look fine other than cosmetics and the unknown of how they are set up.

The rear needs a new rubber bump stop and I guess a good tune up as well.

I am about a 165 pounds and ride trails aggressivley.

Anybody know who would be good to send all three to for a good going over and or set them up for me?

I called Works and they gave me some worst case cost at about $300 for the front and $340 on the rear. This was complete rebuilds.

Funds are very limited on this project so I am looking to get the best bang for the buck.
I am located in the Charleston area of SC.

Colby @ C&D will hook you up. He's a site sponsor, I send all shocks exclusively to him now even though he's half the country away. His customer service is excellent and he will set up those shocks primo!

rigger
01-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks. I will look them up and shoot them an e-mail.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

fultz416ex
01-04-2009, 04:37 PM
moto-xperts.com toby can hook you up.

mxraptor149
01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
GTThunder all the way. They rebuilt a set of Works triple rate pro-series shocks with reservoirs I had on the front of my old Raptor, and those were some of the best shocks I have ridden on after GTT serviced them. And I've tested the new KTMs.

Plus, GTThunder does an excellent job at an affordable price. New springs, cross overs, seals and oil, plus dialing the shocks in for my weight, suspension components and personal riding style only cost me $165.

Rear rebuilds there are slightly more expensive at close to $200 (depending on what you want/need) but are totally worth it.

www.gtthunder.com

400exrider707
01-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by mxraptor149
GTThunder all the way. They rebuilt a set of Works triple rate pro-series shocks with reservoirs I had on the front of my old Raptor, and those were some of the best shocks I have ridden on after GTT serviced them. And I've tested the new KTMs.

Plus, GTThunder does an excellent job at an affordable price. New springs, cross overs, seals and oil, plus dialing the shocks in for my weight, suspension components and personal riding style only cost me $165.

Rear rebuilds there are slightly more expensive at close to $200 (depending on what you want/need) but are totally worth it.

www.gtthunder.com

C&D and GT Thunder prices are almost the same. I'd say C&D has better customer service from what I've heard and read, but I dont think either one you can go wrong with.

rigger
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Well I sent out a couple of e-mails. GT sent me one back but not to much info.

Talked to Elka and they were not to bad to speak with. They were a little more on the rear rebuild and all they wanted on the front was to sell me new at about $500 or $1000 depending on what I went with.

So far, the guys at Works were the best to speak with.

I will wait and see what C&D has to say.

Thanks again for the info guys.

morse250r
01-06-2009, 06:47 AM
baldwin motorsports in ohio mark does good work and at a good price

trx400exxracer
01-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I have never had a problem out of DeRisi Racing. I think he has a kit just for works shocks also!! Really good prices!

rkw327
01-15-2009, 03:25 PM
I use sfracing great customer service!!!! i have even called them at 9 pm on a sat and they returned in about 30mins

rigger
01-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys. When it comes time to get them set up. I will have to touch base with them and see who does the best.

01-18-2009, 08:15 AM
c&d could give you probs on waiting for parts...laz at gt thunder may be a little brash when you talk to him, but you'll have your shocks back in a about a week. i waited a month for derisi to get my shocks back, but they were great, as were the gt thunder's

Colby@C&DRacing
01-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Actually we stock a lot of service parts for shocks. If we don't have what we need it can take up to a week to get due to shipping time.

RaceReflections
03-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Just got my shock back from Colby Friday (C&D RACING a site sponsor). Awesome turn around time. Sent it out Friday before and had it back by the next Friday. Parts were in stock!
Pretty quick considering the time spent shipping it from me to him then back to me. And seemed very nice on the phone and isn't short with you at all.. Thanks Colby.. Gets an A+ from me..!

rider181
03-21-2009, 05:23 PM
moto-xperts.com check that out toby does great work on pretty much everything he does

414tinner
03-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Dirtworks Motorsports has always done me right on shocks. They are in southern Missouri and are very reasonably priced and quick turn around as well.

Check them out at dirtworksmotorsports.com

Scro
03-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I haven't had any luck with GTT, and neither has several other people that I race with. It seems like he either valves his stuff way to soft, or uses too soft of a spring. I had a set of Axis setup by him for an A class XC racer. I was constantly bottoming out - even after sending it back twice.

I finally did my own homework, and ordered a set of springs myself...much better.