PDA

View Full Version : HOT check engine and not starting when wet

broncoduecer
01-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Hello!

First post here on the forums.
2006 Sportsman 700 (carb) w/winch
Only about 42 hours mostly on dirt roads, beach, pine farms, and never been in the mud really.

I had an odd thing happen a coulpe days ago on the beach that I've never had before. I just did a couple runs up and down the mile or so of beach by my house. I then went for a bit of a splash in the creek from the estuary that feeds into the ocean.

I was poking along pretty slow through it for maybe a minute. Water is about at the center of the hubs, then I turned around and let it rip a little and after about 30ft the engine cut out and the check engine light came on and displayed HOT.

At first I was freaked out because I've hydrolocked a truck before and I was like man not again. But the water was just up to the center of the hubs, I thought no way I got water up that high, I couldnt even see splashing above the rack in front. So popped the seat and sure enough the filter an intake were dry as a bone.

It would crank over but wouldn't start. I tried different throttle positions and choke but nothing. Then after about 15 min or so of waiting and trying it started and along I went. I kept trying ever minute.

So I'm not sure what caused it. Just a wet plug or coil? Did a sensor get wet and tricked it into thinking it was hot and then shut down? Does the ecu not let it start again for a certain time period when it's gotten hot?

I have replaced my ecu because the original one had a recall.

Little odd because you hear people taking these things in crazy water and they don't die. So I'm a little stumped. I haven't pulled any connectors yet to check for corrosion, but that'll be on for tonight or tomorrow. I do wash it down after every use, and I mean every use. I never ride in the ocean water, just the fresh water everyonce in a while from the estuary.

I did just keep it at a friends house since I left town for a month. I keep it stored outside under cover and wanted it in a more secure place. So I left it at his place in the garage and he used it once. Not sure if he drove it in the ocean or not, but I don't know what once would do.

The radiator is also really clean and I am topped up in the radiator, but a little low on the overflow. So I really don't think it overheated.

So if anyone has any ideas that'd be sweet.

Thanks,

Pete

mm800
01-03-2009, 05:53 PM
You need to put di-electric grease on every electrical connection, that help with playing in the water. I dont know what to tell ya on the overheating. Might find a little more help over at Rubberdown Customs or High Lifter, both have forums geared more towards utility bikes.