PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke engine question

03warriorrider
01-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I know this is a atv site but I figured I'd ask since there are some pretty engine knowledgeable people on here. I picked up an 88 rm 125 with a blown motor as a fun little winter project and this is my first engine rebuild so I have a few questions.

I just honed the cylinder and there are still some spots that I question are passable or if I should/need to get it bored out. I don't really want to have to get it bored out since its just a penny pincher project and I'm already into it more than I want to be. So I'll post a few pics and see what you guys think.

Keep in mind its just something to screw around on its not a rebuild that im taking to 100% serious but at the same time I dont want to have to rebuild the thing after a few hours.

motox92
01-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Are they knicks? or Gauges?

soyo
01-03-2009, 07:20 PM
i think it would be just fine like that, its not that bad.

Black R/T
01-03-2009, 08:35 PM
ive seen way worse run for quite a while

03warriorrider
01-03-2009, 09:45 PM
thanks guys for the replies I think I will just run it, hope for the best and see what happens :macho

03warriorrider
01-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by motox92
Are they knicks? or Gauges?

Well its tough to say how deep they are just by describing. The second pic with the spot between the two exhaust ports is the worst of all the spots and the one that has me most concerned. the only way I can really describe the depth is you can put a straight edge across it and see under it and just by eye balling it its no more than .020 of an inch.

wilkin250r
01-04-2009, 03:26 AM
Actually, those areas shouldn't be a problem unless they have sharp edges that can catch a ring. In the same way you chamfer your ports, just make sure those areas have smooth transitions.

The area between the exhaust ports is probably a GOOD thing. I haven't worked with a lot of RM125s, but I would imagine you would relieve the exhaust port the same way as a 250r, to keep from seizing in that area.