PDA

View Full Version : 300ex problem

impaidbyu
01-03-2009, 02:20 PM
i have a 05 300ex that just up and died last year and has sat until last week. I changed the plug and it fired up but wont idle and heats up real fast also i can turn the outside carb screw and no diff. the only way i can get it to run is at half throttle.I also cleaned the carb it is all stock and works fine. Im thinking its the timing.... Any thoughts.

Black R/T
01-03-2009, 09:17 PM
regardless, it sounds like your pilot jet imo. the running hot part makes it sound like youve got a lean condition (High air to fuel ratio) and you say that it runs fine at half throttle (past the pilot jet point by that time), did you put new jets when you cleaned it? when a bike sits for that long with fuel in the carb, sometimes its easier to put new jets instead of trying to get all of those tiny holes clean, especially the pilot jet. i fought with my R6 for a week trying to clean the pilot jets to make it idle right (sat for a little over a year with gas in the carbs). ended up just getting new ones and problem solved.

impaidbyu
01-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Can i just go to my local dealer and pick up a new pilet jet? Is there a place on line i could get a better set of jets for the bike at a great price? Thanks for the input.

John451
01-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by impaidbyu
Can i just go to my local dealer and pick up a new pilet jet? Is there a place on line i could get a better set of jets for the bike at a great price? Thanks for the input.

Unles you know the size of yours, you'll have to take yours out and bring it to the dealer and they should have them there for around $5, not too sure if you can trade a clogged one in...