PDA

View Full Version : Need your input on my son

Ride1Rob
01-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Is he ready for racing? I think he'll be fine with kids around 10ish. But the bike he has will put him with kids 15yrs old. He's only 7 at the moment and I took him to one race last year. All of a sudden he started riding like this the last few months. He'll be 8 in April so he may be too young anyway. Thanx for your input. Don't know much about youth racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jdIyQ3NKBg

XXX -rider
01-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I would say he is ready!!
seems like he rides well so I think he'll be fine !

racedad26
01-04-2009, 05:05 PM
most kids are fine they know when to slow down or keep thier line. make sure he keeps his head behind the bars on the rythm section and when landing on jumps, that will cause a neck jerk an d a over the bar problem. Just use your best judgement when he gets finished, you dont want to scare him so he doesnt want to go back. older kids are usually faster also so keep reminding him they are older and more experienced so just get closer to them each time he races and it will help build mire confidence. have fun and enjoy this time, nothing in the world can replace it.

Ride1Rob
01-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanx for the replies. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to help me out after all the hits and no responses. Great advice

ww228king
01-04-2009, 08:18 PM
I know what you are going through... My son is way ahead of himself also. lol... I have always felt that if you give them all you got and if they can handle it, then they are ready. You can tell the true riders and the ones that are not. My son started out at 3 with an unrestricted knock off 4 stroke 70cc ATV and then at 4 years old moved up to an unrestricked 50cc 2 stroke then at 5 he was on a 70cc. He started out at 4 years old on track chasing 8 and 9 year olds for two races... then it was over, they started chasing him. His little 50lbs could not be dealt with. And at that age they are not scared of anything... all they know is that they have seen it done before and they want to take the jumps like the 450s do. He got a DRX 90 LC for xmas and already wants more at 6 years old. I guess that is what I get for giving him a 65cc modded KTM dirtbike, he just loves the quick snap and it is so cool when he hits them gears and the roost never stops. And it looks like little Jam is an excitment craver also. Gear him up, tell him to do what he's got to do, then tell him to have fun and charge everything, and that you love him.
Never under estimate a kid.... they will suprise you.

I will say that Jam is ready!!

coffing918
01-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I SAY GO FOR IT HE LOOKS LIKE HE HAS NO FEAR, AND IS MORE THAN READY MY SON STARTED AT 4 AND IS NOW 6 AND IS THE
50cc LIMITED ATLANTIC GRAND PRIX HARESCRAMBLE SERIES CHAMPION AND I COULDNT BE PROUDER.
PLEASE LET US KNOW IF HE GETS INTO RACING AND IF SO HOW HIS FIRST RACE GOES.

Ride1Rob
01-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanx everyone ;) ! The first race is this Saturday. As of now I'm still debating. Leaning toward letting him race because the next race won't be until the 30th. It'll probably be good to take him out there and get some experience racing. Then I can work with him on other things like starts between then and the 30th. We'll see... Can anyone tell me from the vids what I need to work with him on?

COLTBNME
01-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Are the class rules in Florida going to allow an 8yr old to run on a 150cc quad? In our district you can not run on a 150cc til you are 13.

Ride1Rob
01-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah, that class would be a shifter class 150cc and under. That's why I built the motor up to a 150. The age is 8-15 but it's a local series and kids that big don't race that class.

XXX -rider
01-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
We'll see... Can anyone tell me from the vids what I need to work with him on?

IMO he is not needing a ton of work /instruction..
normal reminders like ,..but off seatin the rough stuff, elbows up, leaning ,etc never hurt
if I think real hard perhaps MX start gates ..
do they use them at your races..has he started MX style ?
its good to practice them always ...seen lots of good lil riders get a lil weird the 1st few times ..so maybe fab up 1 for him sometime & let him practice ..I bet he would be an ace in no time ..

also maybe about keeping his line in & around traffic
& let him know he has to look further down the track & close up ..thru out the whole race...& race til the end ...
& no matter how he does ..he is a CHAMP!!

Ride1Rob
01-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by XXX -rider
IMO he is not needing a ton of work /instruction..
normal reminders like ,..but off seatin the rough stuff, elbows up, leaning ,etc never hurt
if I think real hard perhaps MX start gates ..
do they use them at your races..has he started MX style ?
its good to practice them always ...seen lots of good lil riders get a lil weird the 1st few times ..so maybe fab up 1 for him sometime & let him practice ..I bet he would be an ace in no time ..

also maybe about keeping his line in & around traffic
& let him know he has to look further down the track & close up ..thru out the whole race...& race til the end ...
& no matter how he does ..he is a CHAMP!!

Excellent advice Thanx!!!

double d 1
01-09-2009, 06:08 PM
this is kinda a tough queston to answer. last winter my son just turned 8 in sept. we decided to go flat track racing at an indoor track. he was racing the beginer 90cc class all two strokes except for his stock 125 xtreme. the boy that won had more experiance and it wasnt a stock 90. out of the 5 races they had he did 3 and was second in points the fourth race he was sick. the fifth race he didnt want to go because he was tied for third in points and didnt want togo. i dont know if i pushed him to hard or he is just spoiled or what. now he doesnt care if he races or not. he prefers just to go riding at the dunes. i allways told him it didnt matter if he won or not , just to have a good time. i guess just let him race and let him make the decision. dave

Ride1Rob
01-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I took him to his first race last year and he loved it. Was asking to go back but I really just wanted to give him a feel for it and get his feet wet. He's really excited about the race tomorrow. I just tell him to do his best, to have fun, and to be safe.

Ride1Rob
01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Took him to the race last nite and he had a blast competing against the other kids. Unlike the 1st race he was finally nailing the jumps and showed no fear of hitting them. Even did a couple of no footers and a baby whip lol. He got 4th overall and may have done better if his bike was on point. Started having carb issues during practice and didn't have time to figure it out. The bike had tons of bottom but wanted fall on it's face on top end. Know what the problem is, just didn't have time to correct it. It is very addicting watching the kids ride lol. BUT EXPENSIVE AS WELL! I spent close to $100 yesterday and the track is only 15 miles away. Oh well... Thanx for all of your help guys and with more practice and his bike running 100% hopefully he'll be better.

racedad26
01-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Congrats on a good day. Its those little things that make you want to go back as soon as possible. As you and him become more addictated it just gets mre exspensive, just smile and do it as long as you can, we always talk some weekend we went somewhere even if it was a bad race, it was and is a great memory. have fun.

XXX -rider
01-11-2009, 03:58 PM
VERY GOOD!!
I knew he was ready ..;) ,..now you gotta go learn...how to have a lil racer's machine ready !!....J/K stuff happens ..& ya move on ..
100 bucks ...you got off cheap ....LOL

due to gas price this past season we were averaging 175-200 a w/e gas alone ...I beleive we did 28 races last year :(

Ride1Rob
01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I had class that morning and had to come home, load everything up, and head to the track. To me it's a plus knowing how well he ran with the bike performing poorly on top end. The kids that took 1st and 2nd are 10 and 9. The 9yr old races nationals. The kid in 3rd races a very competetive series in Dade City and has been for the last couple of years. It's the premier track for quads in Florida.

Guess I am lucky considering what you pay and what I paid lol. Could only imagine what a price tag would be going to a national race :eek2: .

coffing918
01-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Took him to the race last nite and he had a blast competing against the other kids. Unlike the 1st race he was finally nailing the jumps and showed no fear of hitting them. Even did a couple of no footers and a baby whip lol. He got 4th overall and may have done better if his bike was on point. Started having carb issues during practice and didn't have time to figure it out. The bike had tons of bottom but wanted fall on it's face on top end. Know what the problem is, just didn't have time to correct it. It is very addicting watching the kids ride lol. BUT EXPENSIVE AS WELL! I spent close to $100 yesterday and the track is only 15 miles away. Oh well... Thanx for all of your help guys and with more practice and his bike running 100% hopefully he'll be better.

how many kids were on the gate with him

Ride1Rob
01-11-2009, 07:25 PM
I think there were 9, maybe 10 racing with him last nite. One of those was FULLY BUILT with all the works. This bike was very fast but crapped out on the 3rd/4th lap in the 1st moto. There was a 103 DRR that this kid was walking away from :eek2: . No telling what was in that bike.

coffing918
01-11-2009, 08:09 PM
well 4th out of 10 is awesome for his first time racing way to go lil man

JAG Motosports
01-12-2009, 05:03 PM
We live in Tampa and are always looking for places to race. Just curious where the race was. That was a pretty good turn-out. The SSQSA and Dade City don't get that many kids on the gate other than 50's

Ride1Rob
01-12-2009, 07:11 PM
It was Bartow's Quad points series opener. There were different sized bikes of miniquads all on the gate. From what I hear about DadeCity it's stacked with kids on the line. Went online and looked at the race results and there are over 20 kids listed for points. A few of those are 1&2 time racers. You guys should come out to the next race on the 31st.

JAG Motosports
01-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Ya we have been to Bartow a few times...nice track. Dade City does have a good turn out for the smaller quads...up to 90 stock, but when you get to the 90 mods and shifters it get to be only 3 or 4.

Ride1Rob
01-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah a big reason for that is because they have a "stock appearing" class that the motors are modded all to hell. They asked me at the race this weekend if there were mods and I told them yeah. The motor is fine but bc of the exhaust and the Elka's my sons bike went into the moddified class. I'm sure that's why those classes are stacked like that at Dade City. It really didn't bother me as I told the owner that my son looked forward to racing with the other kids. Also, a friend of mine brought his son to race and my boy was looking forward to racing with him as well. It all worked out because he had fun. He's bugging me to take him for practice this Saturday :chinese: .

catfish66
01-18-2009, 03:25 PM
rob give your son a HI FIVE for me good job little man and rember with god on your side anythings possible:

Ride1Rob
01-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by catfish66
rob give your son a HI FIVE for me good job little man and rember with god on your side anythings possible:
:muscle:

jervis961
01-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Nicely done for a first race.

My kids race at Dade City and the Dual A arm 90cc class had 15 riders on the line. It was my son's first time on a DRR (had a fully stock Predator last year) and he was pulling fifth in the second moto before he got tangled up in a crash with the leaders. I guess we have to work on looking further ahead. My daughter got squeezed in at the gate and ended up nose to nose with another quad so her race was blown. Hopefully we'll have better luck this week.

Ride1Rob
01-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by jervis961
Nicely done for a first race.

My kids race at Dade City and the Dual A arm 90cc class had 15 riders on the line. It was my son's first time on a DRR (had a fully stock Predator last year) and he was pulling fifth in the second moto before he got tangled up in a crash with the leaders. I guess we have to work on looking further ahead. My daughter got squeezed in at the gate and ended up nose to nose with another quad so her race was blown. Hopefully we'll have better luck this week.

I was considering Dade City but I like the atmosphere at Bartow. Will let him get more experience up there and then we'll see what happens. Dade City has a nice # of quads but I've been hearing for years that it's a one line track. Who ever gets the holeshot will more than likely win and the following order the same. Hope we can get the kids out together sometime. Where are you located?

jervis961
01-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm in Citrus County.

Dade City is a bit of a ride but that's where friends went so we followed them. My kids have been riding for less that a year and both started on Stock Polaris bikes (expensive lessons were learned).

My daughter upgraded to a DRR late last year and got bunched into the Apex class. Her first race she was pulling third when she blew her transmission because she kept the throttle pegged. The next race night (last of the series) she was pulling fourth and hit a rut in the track and rolled it 3 - 4 times. Now we are working to rebuild her confidence back up. The bad thing about Dade city that night was that they let all the large bikes on the track before the kids and the track was tore up really bad. I'm hoping things improve this year or we will be leaving.

My son wasn't really into it last year but we got him a DRR during the off season. He really perked up once he had something that could compete so I'm excited to see what he does this year.

Even though the DBL A arm 90cc class had 15 riders it shouldn't be that busy all season as some of them were there only because SSQSA was the next day and the track ran a weekend special. The single A arm 90cc class only had about 5 riders and the mods were about the same size.

Whoever gets the hole shot is more likely to win but that isn't always the case. Finish order of the first moto then determines the line up for the second moto. How does Bartow work it?

Ride1Rob
01-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Bartows track is nice and has many places to make passes. The track doesn't get rutted up because there aren't many big bikes there racing. I have yet to see any kids get tangled up or go down because they lost control. But also theren't aren't as many bikes so the track is not as crowded. The kids get ALOT of track time after the races because there aren't many dirt bikes or big quads. The heats go by pretty quick as a result. Racing starts around 6:30 and around 8:15ish we're wrapping it up. The track then opens up for for 5lap practice sessions. I really get time to see my son actually ride/race rather than running around playing. It's a very laid back atmosphere and all the track personnel are very helpful to the kids and the parents.

jervis961
01-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Sounds like a nice set up. We have 6 weeks between points races after tomorrow so maybe we'll have to check it out. The extra practice time would be nice. Its an extra 45min - 1hr ride so I don't think it would be a regular track for us. You never know...

AJMorrison
02-22-2009, 08:03 PM
He looks fine to me too. Only to really be sure is to let him out there and see how he feels. My son started when he was 7 in the 70mod class in New England. He was gettin spanked pretty bad but havin tons-a-fun. The next year they did away with the 70 class and just had 90modified startin at age 8 so he was the youngest kid out there. By his third year he was still the youngest kid up against teen-age kids but beat-em all taking his first championship (NEATV 90 modified '07' #97) I guess my point is when you start em young like that up against fast kids they accell very quickly. Now the little **** is doin some pretty sick doubles that half the aduld riders wont even try. I give him a pretty strict safety lecture before every gate-drop and so far he's kept it in controll. GOOD-LUCK

Ride1Rob
02-24-2009, 07:32 AM
He's run 2 races so far and has placed 4th in both. He's not riding with the same intensity in the races as he is in that vid :confused: . Last week he took 6 secs off of his best lap times and in the end of the day he had a nasty lil crash. That set him back quite a bit on his performance. Even with that, there was only 1 kid he couldn't ride with. This lil boy looked like a grown man in a kids body on a kids quad :eek2: . It's a process and he's going to have to get better over time. The more seat time and the more I coach him on techique the faster he'll get.

JAG Motosports
02-24-2009, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ride1Rob
[ Even with that, there was only 1 kid he couldn't ride with. This lil boy looked like a grown man in a kids body on a kids quad :eek2: .

If you're referring to our kid on last Saturdays practice.... I think we'll take that as a "good rider" compliment.:) You've got to remember that Jordan has had a LOT of seat time. He's really had to practice hard to get where he's at today and he still needs some work. There are a lot of hours, sweat, blood and a few broken bones behind him. The only suggestions I have is make sure you take your boy to the track every chance you get so he can get that seat time. Also, once he gets comfortable at Bartow you need to switch up the tracks. Don't get him to used to one track. I think Jordan really started improving his riding when we started doing the SSQSA series and it was different tracks every race.

Ride1Rob
02-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Yes I am talking about lil Jordan Gibson!!! Jam is still talking about him lol. I'm glad you guys came out so that Jam could see someone his age ride as good as Jordan does. And thanx for the tips on the different tracks as well. I really just wanted to get him accustomed to racing and see how his skills would progress this year. Then we'll see if he's ready for something more competitive. At this stage he still has a bit to go.

JAG Motosports
02-25-2009, 07:48 AM
I thought your boy was doing good for basically just starting. That is a lot of bike for him to get used to! Have you ever considered getting him something smaller and something that he doesn't have to shift-cvt? With him being only 7 yrs old it's going to be kind of tough to have him in a competitive class with kids his own age. Not that he won't grow into the quad he has now but it might make it easier for him from the get go, give him a confidence boost too.

Is this Saturday at Bartow quad race night? We are considering going there again this weekend. We are doing the Dade series but like to go to other tracks when they don't have race night.

Ride1Rob
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah it's Quad points nite this Saturday and you should bring Jordan out to race that nite. I'm sure he'll have a blast and the other kids will as well racing against him. My boy hasn't been doing all that well in school this week and as of now he's not racing. If you bring Jordan out I just may have to bring him to the track and let him race :ermm: .

I got him the quad and knew that it was something he'd grow into. I didn't have any plans of him racing and it was just something that he could ride on over 3-4yrs. I have thought about getting him a DRR or Apex but figured only riding the shifter would help in the long run. At 7 he already understands the concept of downshifting. The biggest problem he has is he's not strong enough to hit the gears on upshift everytime and very often has mis shifts.

JAG Motosports
02-25-2009, 06:20 PM
We're going to practice and race on Sat. Hope to see you there:)

Ride1Rob
02-26-2009, 05:47 PM
If I bring him he won't be racing this weekend. Just can't seem to get it together in school.