PDA

View Full Version : swing arm bolt removal

cataway
01-03-2009, 11:10 AM
if you think removing the swing arm bolt is going to be easy think again . so far its been the hardest thing i have done to my Z .
if i had a new LTZ one thing i would do is pull that thing out and grease the bolt were it go's through the bearing sleeves and of coarse install grease zerks to the swingarm.
wow what a pain in the arss as the bearing sleeves rust up and seize to the bolt . i used penetrating oil , i heated it i hammered on it ,i even ran a 3/8 threaded rod though it and using a short piece of 1 1/4 '' pipe i made a puller , i put so much toque on the nut that the 3/8 rod snapped in two .
at that point it became the worst case scenario, it was not going to come out ,at least not in one piece any way .
the way i got it out was to cut it at 4 different places with a air sander with a 4 1/2'' cut off disk, the thin kind .
admittedly it may not be the best way because its a bit hard on the swingarm, as its so easy to cut in to the swing arm ends but used ones are not that expensive ,and if your replacing the swingarm with an extended one it may not be that much of a
big deal any way.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/cataway/Picture038.jpg
there is a bunch of sparks made ,make sure theres no way your going to set the gas on fire .

if i were to do it again i would make my first cut on the right side between the swingarm and the transmission case and then see
it the bolt could be moved ,be it one side or the other ,mine was froze on both sides so it really did not mater but if you can save your self a cut ,so much the better.

trx250rider
01-05-2009, 12:45 PM
i just took the one out of my 250r and to my surprise, it tapped right out...i think i was one of the fortunate ones..lol

cataway
01-06-2009, 03:03 PM
all back together ,i put in grease zerks, i all so put one in the transmission case to keep the bolt from rusting ,its located just below the bolt ,centered in the case , filled it with marine grease and I'm good to go.http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/cataway/Picture059.jpg