PDA

View Full Version : 440cc compression reading

e gracie
12-18-2002, 12:11 PM
plz advise wat sort off reading i should be getting. got an annoying ticking noise right hand exhaust valve me thinks ,checked settings all a ok.still ticking away. wondering if ive bent a valve by turning engine wrong way.ie clockwise setting rockers.did re set once i realised seams bit difficult to start but runs fine i think.allthough still not run in yet. bit nervous to run till i know wats up.. an still got some jeting to sort out possibly the cause off bad starting i should think..

if it helps any
ims 440 kit.
ported head
mx cam
hardend rockers
fcr39
set ex @5
inlet@4

then told to try=
6~+7 still ticked like a good un
many thanx in advance...
u

YZROOSTINYA
12-18-2002, 12:20 PM
intake 5 exhaust 6
as in.005 and .006

do you still have the decompression on the cam? you might not need it

a mx cam with higher lift will make more noise than a mild stock cam

take a stethoscope to the head and listen for grinding. also you can use a screwdriver, put the metal end on the motor and the other end on your ear, it actually works to hear if things are going wrong

e gracie
12-18-2002, 12:41 PM
did the old screw driver trick. defo sounds like the exhaust valve with decompression fing on...didnt remove the assembly some say leave it on some say take it off went for it on...

should i remove it? or should it be a ok any way?

just have that oribble feeling ive bent the valve. which a compression test will tell.. as it shouldnt be a bad starter .
but i know ive not jetted it up yet plug chop an wat ave u.worried about running it at the mo.does seem to go ok though,,,much to the neighbours annoyance. misserable git!!!!!!

Maryland 400EX
12-18-2002, 02:14 PM
As for the compression test, the rule of thumb is to multiply the compression ratio (440 piston with 11:1 so say 11) X atmospheric pressure (14.7). 14.7 X 11 = 161.7 You should in this vicinity with your compression test. Whereas the stock piston (9:1) X (14.7) = 132.3. Good luck.

e gracie
12-18-2002, 02:35 PM
just wat the doctor orderd. many thanx out 2 the garage i go.....favourite subject at school maths was it? lol