PDA

View Full Version : no spark

taman022002
01-03-2009, 08:11 AM
i just bought a 03 shee cheap it gets no spark i have touched nothing yet i was just wondering where and how to start to fig. this out any info would be great thanks

01-03-2009, 01:33 PM
The stators are notorious for going bad mainly in the older ones, but in the newer ones too.

Try a new stator and see what happens. If not, next thing I would check is the coil.

banshee6767
01-08-2009, 06:22 PM
ohm out the stator and coil, check the plugs, check pick up gap should be around .020'', stator is the most expensive part of the electrical system dont just go buy a new one that is stupid, check things out first, for all you know the keyway may of just sheared off , that a 5 dollar fix so check that out to

01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by banshee6767
ohm out the stator and coil, check the plugs, check pick up gap should be around .020'', stator is the most expensive part of the electrical system dont just go buy a new one that is stupid, check things out first, for all you know the keyway may of just sheared off , that a 5 dollar fix so check that out to

Honestly if he ohm's things it will drive him mad.

When I bought my project it didn't have spark. We ohm'd everything out and everything including the stator was reading correctly.

So we were pulling our hair out trying to figure out why it didn't get spark. It ended up being the stator. Even though it ohm'd out correctly.

banshee6767
01-08-2009, 07:20 PM
how do you know yours was the stator ? does yours even run yet? and what kind did you go with?

01-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by banshee6767
how do you know yours was the stator ? does yours even run yet? and what kind did you go with?

Well I told my dad lets just try to replace the stator because they're known to go bad. He told me it ohm'd out as it should so why should we spend money on that.

So the electrical harness looked a little hacked up so we replaced that, and nothin. Replaced the coil, nothing. Then I broke down and just told him to buy a stator so we bought a used one off someone on HQ. Well, wah-lah. I bright blue spark.

Mine would be running, everything is all together. I'm just waiting on the stupid clutch ball to come in because I ordered it from the local dealer. Then I just gotta bolt the engine back in.

I went with a stock used stator. I don't believe in buying new, you loose so much money

the Z Man
01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Make sure the key in on

taman022002
01-17-2009, 03:45 PM
:( new stator and coil still no spark the cdi box omes out ok too any more ideas guys :confused:

ohiobanshee
01-23-2009, 11:26 AM
How did you check the cdi? As far as I know rickey stator is the only place that says they can check cdi's.Unplug the little black box under the gas tank.Check out this link http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/elecfaq.html

taman022002
01-23-2009, 09:11 PM
i took the cdi off my 03 and put it on another bike it started right up so i do get whats wrong with the 03

ohiobanshee
01-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Have you unpluged all the tors crap?Could the switch be bad?Unplug the key switch and connect the black/red wire to the black wire with a jumper wire.Unplug the run stop switch,it will run without it pluged up.Check your ground by the cdi,make sure the coil is grounded good,if you have too take the coil off and sand the mount and coil to make a good ground.Check your wireing harness for melted wires by the exhaust,and broken wires anywhere else.When you changed the stator did your flywheel rattle?Broken magnets in the flywheel could cause it.If this doesn't help let me know,I will help you try something else. eric

taman022002
01-24-2009, 10:55 AM
thanks for that info ohiobanshee

taman022002
02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
this thing is pissing me the f*#$ off ok here the news i've put a new stator.pick-up coil, coil,cdi ran all the wire down everything looks good so i put it back together i have spark so i fill it up with gas kick it no spark so i leave it set for about an hour come back first kick fires up i run it about 15-20 mins it dies now im back to no spark any ideas i like to hear them thanks

02-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by taman022002
this thing is pissing me the f*#$ off ok here the news i've put a new stator.pick-up coil, coil,cdi ran all the wire down everything looks good so i put it back together i have spark so i fill it up with gas kick it no spark so i leave it set for about an hour come back first kick fires up i run it about 15-20 mins it dies now im back to no spark any ideas i like to hear them thanks

hmmm..

It almost sounds like a defective stator.