PDA

View Full Version : tough wheel bearing removal!!

KEVIN132
01-02-2009, 09:09 PM
ive had some come out easy and some are just a real pain!!!
we have a houser carrier in the garage right now. there is not even an edge i can get a tool on to hit it out!!:mad:

i know i can weld a old screwdriver to it, but what do you guys use for tuff bearing removal??? my slide bearing puller only goes to 1 1/4" and it measures 1 5/8"

let me know what u use and please post a pic if u can!!:macho

RATPACK Z400
01-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Try freezing bearing in freezer metal will shrink making it easier to get out.

pro-rider46
01-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
Try freezing bearing in freezer metal will shrink making it easier to get out.

How do you do that if its in the carrier? i can see maybe getting dry ice, and setting it in the inner race, and heating up the carrier might be able to do it.

eastside 400
01-03-2009, 06:18 PM
yea there a pain to do, you can try heating the carrier becuase its aluminum it should heat up before the bearings heats as much, might make it a little easier, i usually just shove anything that will fit against an edge of the bearing and either press is out or knock it out with a hammer, if u still cant get it you can try cutting them out

RATPACK Z400
01-03-2009, 08:46 PM
if the carrier is out the swing arm put carrier in freezer weight 30 mins then bang out did it several times but never had problem your having. did it with front bearings should work the same with rear .trust me! it works!alot better than heating it up. just do it it works!

KEVIN132
01-04-2009, 08:57 AM
yeah ill try the freezer thing
the carrier is out.

its a houser carrier very nice setup but the sleeve wont move to the sides like most carriers and let you hit the lip of bearing.
my blind bearing tool only goes to 1 1/4" if i had a 1 5/8" i would be done!!! ahhhhgggg

ive welded to it before and it came out but i want a tool to do it really . i hate making shipe to do something so easy. its not even my carrier but i have a houser also so i just figured i mite as well figure it out with all your help thanks:)

mc_racer
01-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I use a hot plate to change bearings. Last time I did the carrier, I set it on the plate for a few minutes and the bearing fell out when I picked it back up. Couldn't have been any easier.

quad2xtreme
01-05-2009, 06:28 AM
I just put a glove on my hand and slam the carrier down on a block of wood. The weight of the sleeve between the two bearings drives the 1st bearing out.

mc_racer
01-05-2009, 09:46 AM
I tried that before also, just make sure you hit the adjuster side and not the snap ring side. The snap ring side can easily mushroom and crack.

quad2xtreme
01-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by mc_racer
I use a hot plate to change bearings. Last time I did the carrier, I set it on the plate for a few minutes and the bearing fell out when I picked it back up. Couldn't have been any easier.

Can you call my wife and let her know why I need her hot plate? :D

For front wheel bearings...just buy the Honda tool for $15 that makes it so easy to get that first bearing out.

mc_racer
01-05-2009, 12:32 PM
It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

John Houser
01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Heating the bearing carrier on a hot plate is a great idea. First the aluminum carrier will heat up faster than the bearings, thus expanding quicker than the bearings. Second, since the bearing carrier is made from Aluminum, it expands more than the steel bearings, ie aluminum hole, ID, expands more than the bearing OD. Be careful of the grease.

KEVIN132
01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
well i went a dif route but it worked sweet!!

put a 1 1/8" socket in bearing hole and welded it to bearing inner ring!!:eek:

well it is out and pretty easy to do.

now i just have to grind the weld off the socket :ermm: