PDA

View Full Version : Won't Start>>>>What now!

racerdan24
01-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Ok...real simple....Brand new 08 400Ex...New fuel,full tank,stabilizer added before i put into storage about 2 months ago.

Have been starting it every week for about 10 to 15 minutes. Weather has been fairly cold here in NY and now the thing wont start. It seems like its getting fuel because it tried to fire over a few times but just cant get going.

Plug was new about 3 or 4 rides ago.....any ideas?? I havent changed the plug yet which i may try tomorrow if the weather is decent...any other possible issues you can think of before i try to get it to the dealer?

Thanks for the help....I know they are a beeyotch to start in cold weather but this sucks....

sprayedgt
01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
I know you checked this but I'm gunna throw it out there. The gas is on right? Since it's been sitting for 2 months it's possible the gas is bad even with stabilizer. Today's fuel has ethanol (alcohol)and it will attract water in a vented fuel system. I would drain the tank and carb refill and try again.

hornetgod13
01-02-2009, 07:52 PM
400ex's are notorious for cold starting woes. Try a clean plug, pump the throttle several times before attempting to start. You are using the choke right? A #40 pilot jet would improve the not starting situation.

bry14661
01-02-2009, 07:55 PM
gas cant be bad already. Just make sure the coil is securly pushed down on the plug. If that doesnt work pull the plug and check it to see if it sparks. And if that doesnt work sell it to me for $1000 :D

racerdan24
01-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Yep....choke is on...fuel is on...that is what i was thinking...cold startin who*e....jets were on my list in the spring with new exhaust....Ill try tomorrow with a new plug and will try new gas also

racerdan24
01-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Sorry bry...shes my ***** and i am gonna keep her...too much invested into it already

Ruby Soho
01-03-2009, 08:41 AM
hmm thats odd.

will it bump start?

racerdan24
01-03-2009, 08:44 AM
no

Ruby Soho
01-03-2009, 08:50 AM
have you tried squirting a shot or 2 of starting fluid in it and seeing if it would fire?

racerdan24
01-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Well...froze my arse off but got it running...replaced the plug and fired right up...plug was very black. Could be from trying to get it started for the last week with raw fuel,popping etc....at least its running though....

bullett
01-17-2009, 06:17 PM
hey man im glad i read your post. I'm from waterford and i've been trying to start my quad the past few days. It'll start but it dies almost instantly. Maybe ill try replacing the plug. I have an 07 400ex with about 3 hours of ride time on it and hopefully its just the cold, i talked to the guy at the dealer too and he said to try and drop my oil weight by 5 any of you guys try this?

racerdan24
01-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Thats what the dealer told me...The cold really raises havoc with these things and the plug will foul out real easy when trying to start these in the cold weather ( constant starting with the choke on etc). Rejetting it helps but i just changed the plug and it fired right up...Where did you get yours from? troy city?

bullett
01-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Yea I got it from Troy City. I'll never shop there again though, terrible customer service. Got a good deal though. Any idea what oil weight comes in the quad from the dealer?

racerdan24
01-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Dont worry i had the same problem dealing with them for a simple skid plate...do yourself a favor and go to Albany Honda, Joe thaqt owns it and Andy his son deal with me all the time and are great guys...The mechanic Brian is also top notch...no BS and get you what you need.

GN4 is the oil that came with the quad which is 20W-50 i believe I also heard that a good synthetic 10W -40 is better for us here in the northeast.

So if you need anything its worth the drive...by the way my bro bought his CRF 250 from them also but buys everything else from Albany Honda.

bullett
01-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Awesome I'll hit that place up when I go in to get my valves adjusted. I've been hitting up Ronnie's out in Bennington. I just bought a whole bunch of Fox gear from them and my friend just bought a new dirt bike today. He got ripped off bad on the bike. He ended up paying 8200 for a YZF 250. It's a buyers market right now and he should have tried talking them down but they took him in a room and he came out with a new bike. Where in Albany is this place?

racerdan24
01-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Come up Central ave towards Schenectady( Rte 5 east).....when it meets up with rte 155, take a left and first right. For you its probably easier to hit the Northway and get off the exit for rte 5 east...i believe it is exit 2 ??? i just sent you an email.

racerdan24
01-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Im sorry...its rte 5 ( Central Ave) and rte 155...at the light take a right then your first left.