PDA

View Full Version : can't bore head, needs replated?

gsxrkneedragger
01-02-2009, 06:32 PM
my mechanic told me that my top end is gone because the water in my radiator froze which froze my water pump up and fried my motor. i'm going to do the top end rebuilt myself and the guy told me that i can't bore out the cylinder wall because it has some plating on it, so it would have to be replated if there is any damage done to it. any one know where to send it to to get replated and how much it would cost? thanks

cataway
01-02-2009, 08:07 PM
you could call this guy ron hamp 9894631267
other than that i'm on the wrong puter or i'd have more info

birdman652001
01-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by gsxrkneedragger
my mechanic told me that my top end is gone because the water in my radiator froze which froze my water pump up and fried my motor. i'm going to do the top end rebuilt myself and the guy told me that i can't bore out the cylinder wall because it has some plating on it, so it would have to be replated if there is any damage done to it. any one know where to send it to to get replated and how much it would cost? thanks

water frozed? how does that happen? anti-freeze is what keeps the water from freezing, or did you just use straight water all the way through? must be riding your quad in the cold with straight water which is a no-no.

gsxrkneedragger
01-03-2009, 09:38 AM
thats just what the mechanic thinks happened. when i bought it back in may of 08 the level was low. so i filled it with 50/50 mix. i never actually checked it with a tester or anything, but it appeared to be greenish so i just went with it. i'm not 100% sure thats what happened though. its his theory.

cataway, do you know how much he charges for that?

cataway
01-03-2009, 09:48 AM
he does not do them ,he sends them out .
i think its one of these places.
http://kustom-kraft.com/
http://www.mt-llc.com/
seams to me he's a dealer so you may get a better price than if you were to go with one of the links

airmobile101
01-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Did your red overheat light kick on? I know some aftermarket cdi's the red light wont work. Also, is the cylinder walls scored?

quad97
01-04-2009, 01:16 AM
millenium technology

gsxrkneedragger
01-04-2009, 07:40 AM
no the red light didn't kick on. i still have the stock cdi if that makes a difference. i actually haven't torn it apart yet to look at it b/c the mech. shop is closed until mon when i can get it back. after that i'll start tearing into it and let you know. i'm not even positive if i will have to have it replated. i'm just preparing for the worst. :ermm:

cataway
01-04-2009, 08:59 AM
you may find it easer and cheaper to get a used one off ebay that is if the one you have now is scored,....... yeah ,yours can be fixed but depending on what your wallet can take has a lot to do with to.

gsxrkneedragger
01-04-2009, 03:34 PM
with that said, being what i was thinking before, would it just be cheaper to go with a big bore kit. i found athena 440's for like 500 or so. that would be a little more then in just the parts i need now. but don't know what all else i would need. also, how is the reliability for them? i'm all stock now except for a k&n filter. thanks for the input.

cataway
01-04-2009, 04:18 PM
unless you have the sporting mods a 440 is really not going to do a whole lot for you , with a 440 you should have a bigger carb, hot cams ,full pipe maybe even porting and defiantly a better intake boot.
but with just that stuff on a stock bore and a 12.5 piston its possible to pull 38-39 hp. going from 27 rwhp to 39 is a good jump.
if you don't have them thing its like your going at it from the wrong direction.
but you do have to get there some how. LOL
check out the Cylinder Works BBK , i feel its a better deal,
look a what athena gets for a gasket kit and what a set of rings
cost or even find just a head gasket .and athena really does not have the best piston

gsxrkneedragger
01-04-2009, 07:13 PM
i found a drz-e kit on advantage cycles website and it comes with everything to make it a drz motor. their list says DRZe Valve springs, a 3/4 pitch DID cam chain, all top end gaskets (thin base), valve guide seals, and a right sidecase gasket. i know i'm going to need a piston and rings and was thinking about a wiseco 12:1 which is the stock compression i think cuz it says i can either get that one or a high comp which is 13:1. if i get that kit and the piston, is that all that i would need to rebuild the top end or is there more, beside the cylinder wall stuff. i'm getting it back tomorrow and hope to start it then. thanks ahead of time.

cataway, with what you said about needing for a big bore kit, that seems out of the question. too much stuff needed and not enough money. that helps a lot.

cataway
01-04-2009, 07:54 PM
ok if your going to get a wiseco i would recamend the #4714M09000 but use the standered base gasket which will
give you a 12.5 compreshion and some day if you want more
then put in the drz gasket,this also gives you a bit more timing chain life.

gsxrkneedragger
01-04-2009, 08:09 PM
so your saying that i shouldn't get the drz kit? how comes? how about this, if you don't mind, just give me a list of everything i should get for the top end. that way i can just go online and oder it and be done. sorry about all this but i'm new to engine work and don't know much about it at all yet. thanks a lot for our help.

cataway
01-04-2009, 09:10 PM
oh I'm not saying the spring kit is a not the thing to get ,I'm just saying that in the future your most likely going to want to do even more mods getting the 13.5 piston and using a stock gasket
gives you what you want and when that future gets here the next step hangs on the wall .
how ever you do it if you put the springs on your going to need a tool thats look like this you can make one using 3/4'' pipe ,you will need it to put the keepers back in.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/cataway/Picture040.jpg

birdman652001
01-05-2009, 08:07 AM
thats just what the mechanic thinks happened. when i bought it back in may of 08 the level was low. so i filled it with 50/50 mix. i never actually checked it with a tester or anything, but it appeared to be greenish so i just went with it. i'm not 100% sure thats what happened though. its his theory.

cataway, do you know how much he charges for that?

"thats what the mechanic THINKS happened"??????

sounds like he doesnt know what hes doing... a certified mechanic always knows.. not THINK thats what happened.

you may want to get a pressure tester and see if its actually leaking somewhere.. thats my $0.02.

gsxrkneedragger
01-05-2009, 04:00 PM
birdman, he didn't actually tear it apart to look at it at all. just from testing the anitfreeze thats what he is guessing. it would be kinda hard to figure out what exactly happened just from me telling him doing a copmression test and leak down test.

cataway, if i get the 13:1 piston, won't i have to use race gas, or can i still run 92 or 93 in it?

cataway
01-05-2009, 04:33 PM
birdman, he didn't actually tear it apart to look at it at all. just from testing the anitfreeze thats what he is guessing. it would be kinda hard to figure out what exactly happened just from me telling him doing a copmression test and leak down test.

cataway, if i get the 13:1 piston, won't i have to use race gas, or can i still run 92 or 93 in it? if you use the LTZ base gasket with that piston ,no you dont have to use race gas ,but i would use 93

gsxrkneedragger
01-05-2009, 05:21 PM
another dumb question but does the 13.5 piston make a difference at all and where would it be at? also, if i do order the drz kit, why would i not put the drz base gasket in since its apart, or should i do that when i have more stuff done, like exhaust and stuff.

cataway
01-05-2009, 05:55 PM
the only reason i can think of not to go with the 13.5 is the price and the availability of race gas

gsxrkneedragger
01-05-2009, 06:03 PM
i have no idea where to buy it around where i'm from. thats why i was asking about just using 93 at most.

cataway
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
yeah i made sure i could get it before i did mine, its not convenient even for me but it is sold at the dunes were we ride.

gsxrkneedragger
01-05-2009, 06:37 PM
i'll have to ask around first i guess. it just would suck not being able to pull up to a gas station and fill up. whats the difference between the drz base gasket and the stock one?

cataway
01-05-2009, 07:03 PM
the drz is much thiner ,sorry i dont have the spec. on it

gsxrkneedragger
01-09-2009, 05:07 PM
i tore down the motor yesterday and took it to the mechanic today. he said that the cylinder walls are good, the piston itself is good along with the valves and water pump. the only thing that he saw wrong was the rings were stuck to the piston. they weren't lose like they should have been. he's guessing that the rings were stuck to the piston prior to me running it and once the motor warmed up and expanded, thats when it lost compression and quit running. i just went the cheap route and got all the gaskets i needed, piston rings and valve spring seals. it was a little under a $100. Thanks to all who helped me and i will let you know how it runs once i get it back together.