PDA

View Full Version : fmf 4.1 muffler or motoworks

hotshotgoal30
01-02-2009, 12:01 PM
alright guys i really was sold on the motoworks, although i also did like the fmf. my question is is one really better than the other? or are they both comprable? i like them both dont get me wrong it was a toss up for me but the fmf for a full system does seem to be a little less expensive and sometimes can find ones slightly used. im just looking for an honest answer and not brand loyalty opinions. is one louder than the other? im not looking to wake up the neighborhood but i do want it a little loud. performance variations?

dbkbushwacker
01-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Don't get neither, those pipes were rushed to the market with little testing. Go ds450hq and look at the dyno charts. If you can wait get the Dasa exhaust, if not get the Ron Wood pipe.

hotshotgoal30
01-02-2009, 04:03 PM
oh i can wait. lol cause honestly i dont have $700 plus dollars to spend. thats why i asked about the fmf cause once in awhile there are used ones for sale

crixal
01-02-2009, 04:38 PM
ya, wait for dasa. it's cheaper to get the full system dasa, dasa intake, and pc3. it's cheaper than motoworks & fmf.

hotshotgoal30
01-02-2009, 04:56 PM
i just did a quick search. they must not make anything for the can-am yet. do we have any idea when their pipe is coming out or is it a waiting game?

LTRracer4
01-02-2009, 05:39 PM
my FMF 4.1 fell to peices in less then half a season.. i didnt sign with them again for 09:grr:

dbkbushwacker
01-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I heard Dasa has a intake out already and the pipe should come out in a couple more weeks.

Mr. Big Time
01-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Has anybody dynoed a new motoworks pipe as of lately, cause I believe that they have made it better. I love mine, so I dont know what you guys are fussin about, motoworks pipe put out plenty of power.

crixal
01-02-2009, 08:05 PM
i'm not dogging motoworks, but i raced a guy w/ a motoworks full system, k&n, pc3, and it was tuned and he only pulled like one quad on me. i rode it and it didn't feel too much stronger than the pink wire cut & s/a out.

Mr. Big Time
01-02-2009, 09:02 PM
yeah but he did pull on you...lol.....

dumb question...what is a pc3?

LTRracer4
01-02-2009, 09:19 PM
power commander

crixal
01-02-2009, 09:26 PM
pulled one quad for over $1,000. i would stick w/ stock if that's all you could get.

nvrpmx
01-03-2009, 09:59 AM
I think the question from hotshot was motoworks or fmf and if you can find fmf used already then there is a reason for that,and i know for a fact that motoworks did not rush this pipe out they have been testing as long or longer than any other pipe company on the can-am pipe and have it working great.Im sure it helps to have the factory race team there testing with them for over a year now.I would buy the motoworks pipe you will be happy.

hotshotgoal30
01-03-2009, 11:53 AM
yeah i thought about that. there has to be a reason why they are for sale. i just thought maybe if there wasnt that much difference and i could pick it up for maybe $200 or $250 less that a new system either motoworks or FMF then that would be a good deal and it probably would be. but im not dogging motoworks either i like their product and i like the fact that it seems like there are some people on here that would be willing to help if you had any questions, not so much for the FMF. i mean to be honest when it comes to looks i think they both look good. but i guess if your going to buy the motoworks power tuner you might as well buy their pipe

Mr. Big Time
01-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Buy the motoworks pipe, the pipe will give you more power than you could ask for, it sounds nice, and is built by a factory team for factory riders, who have gotten 2008 championships.

dbkbushwacker
01-03-2009, 12:40 PM
If you want to buy the motoworks pipe buy it but I won't cuz I know theres better pipes out there. I bought the first ds 450 my dealer had and when is was looking for a pipe only motoworks was available at the time. That told me this pipe had very little testing. I plan on building my engine in accouple of months and can wait for the Dasa pipe.

What kind of ridin do you do hotshotgoal30?

crixal
01-03-2009, 12:42 PM
you should just wait. it's too cold to ride anyway.

dbkbushwacker
01-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by crixal
you should just wait. it's too cold to ride anyway.

I fell sorry for all you guys on the east coast, here in phoenix you can ride all year long. I never had a problem with my ds in 110 degree weather.

WesDS450X
01-03-2009, 11:54 PM
im ridin on the dunes here in oregon with 10-30 dagree weather with 0 dagree windchill with 50+mph winds bike has no problem cold starting and you must have vaginal swelling, as for pipe the ds450 allready has a nice header pipe so theres no reason for a full pipe save ur self some bucks and just get a motoworks sr4 slip on. im runnin it on my bike and i have no complaints, frist time puttin the pipe on the ds450 is kinda weird lol but heres a vid of both pipes+hmf on teh ds's

Fmf-Some random's fools ds on youtube lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1occsD6BYY

Motoworks-My ds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0iC3v-NtqE

Hmf-Joey's ds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DtDtHvRLC0

crixal
01-04-2009, 12:02 AM
props to you for being TUFF! you still have a motoworks slip-on though.

joeyds450x
01-04-2009, 12:24 AM
im kinda likin the third video...i wish i woulda let it warm up a little bit though.

i ride in anywhere from below zero to 25ish degrees but im on ice runnin the river... we got some rain then snow it rly sucks when you hit the slush, you get soaked then it freezes... all i can say COLD! :blah:

hotshotgoal30
01-04-2009, 01:01 AM
yeah right now its 9 degrees out. and i have maybe 3 hours on my ds and i went out today and i see a little pool of antifreeze on the left side of the machine on my skidplate. whats up with that? but anyways i do mostly trail riding. i do like two trips to tug hill new york for anyone who might know where that is and thats all hard, fast riding dit roads at 50+ mph. so no i dont race im just a backyard wheelie basher kinda guy. so id kinda like to get some more low end but still have the top end when i need it for places like tug hill

skin416ex
01-04-2009, 08:45 AM
i have a motoworks sr4 carbon full exhaust and a k&n velocity intake holeshot mxr6's and afew other things but only the exhaust and intake for poweradders. my buddy has a 05 450 with a stage 2 cam 13.5:1 comp piston , k&n filter full hmf head and carb works and my ds pulls by him by about a bike so , i wouldnt say you can go wrong , plus they have a very nice rumble to them ;)

WesDS450X
01-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
yeah right now its 9 degrees out. and i have maybe 3 hours on my ds and i went out today and i see a little pool of antifreeze on the left side of the machine on my skidplate. whats up with that? but anyways i do mostly trail riding. i do like two trips to tug hill new york for anyone who might know where that is and thats all hard, fast riding dit roads at 50+ mph. so no i dont race im just a backyard wheelie basher kinda guy. so id kinda like to get some more low end but still have the top end when i need it for places like tug hill

dont worry about it my ds has leaked so much anti freeze all u can do is take it back to the dealer and there just gona tighten the hoses, you could do it your self just keep an eye on the coolent lvl. or go buy yea self some way better cv4 hoses+hose tightners

bwkcobra03
01-04-2009, 02:50 PM
wow ALL THESE DIFERENT IDEAS ON EXHAUST! I am glad i lost the used fmf 4.1 on ebay Some one beat my bid by $1. lol my final bid was $225. My ds450 x also has an antifreeze leak looks like it is coming from the right side of head gasket. I don't even have 10 hrs on it yet. I am making an appointment to have the 10 hour service monday. I think I am going to leave it stock until the spring to make sure nothing else goes wrong with it.

Mr. Big Time
01-04-2009, 02:58 PM
my quad had the same problem with the leak....took it to the dealer, and it didnt leak anything, and that was all they did too, was look at the hoses. Not leaking now though.

bwkcobra03
01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
My friend was looking at my atv because he wants to get one. He showed me the leak. I keep ds in a heated garage. It is very cold in NY. Not cold enough to freeze the lake yet. I hope when i bring it in they find the leak. May be I should take a couple pictures for the service manager.

dbkbushwacker
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I took my ds to dealer to get the ball joints replaced and when they were tearing it down they noticed the radiator hoses were leaking. So now I'm getting new ball jionts and new hoses all under warranty. Plus they replacing the fly wheel bolts and sleeving the rear engine mount.

WesDS450X
01-04-2009, 05:39 PM
the stock hoses are good, its just the tighters, replace those or tightin them after every ride there none of come loose causing coolent leak

Mr. Big Time
01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by dbkbushwacker
I took my ds to dealer to get the ball joints replaced and when they were tearing it down they noticed the radiator hoses were leaking. So now I'm getting new ball jionts and new hoses all under warranty. Plus they replacing the fly wheel bolts and sleeving the rear engine mount.

How are the ball joints getting replaced under warranty?
I guess it really doesnt matter to me, seeing as I dont have stock a-arms.

ltr311
01-04-2009, 06:12 PM
If you had to decide between these two pipes. Motoworks all day. The fmf loses power in a full system. Dyno proven on 3 different bikes on my dyno. the motoworkcs added about 3whp over stock c/o on the ds. The fmf slip on added about 2whp. The megabomb header is a joke gimmick. Thats why FACTORY riders have custom one off head pipes. Do you research boys. Fmf is a joke and is WAY OVER priced. I have a dyno and have spent thousands of dyno runs testing products and tuning bikes.

If you want the best thats out right now go with ron woods. If you can wait the dasa will be just as good if not better but looks and sounds better.

The next best thing would be hmf full system or rossier. Hmf is way underrated and will beat the motoworks pipe all day.

My vote is wait for dasa. It has been dyno proven to be the best pipe for ALL AROUND and peak power on almost all 450 motors.

I hope this helps. My opinions are not just opinions and Im not sponsored by dasa in any way. I have many many dyno graphs proving my statements. Good luck guys and happy racing.

dbkbushwacker
01-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Big Time
How are the ball joints getting replaced under warranty?
I guess it really doesnt matter to me, seeing as I dont have stock a-arms.

My right side lower ball joint just broke one day when I was ridin. I called my dealer and told then about it and they said they take a look at. Next thing I know they're replacing both sides and replacing my hoses. I didn't expect them to replace the ball joints but they did.

hotshotgoal30
01-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by ltr311
If you had to decide between these two pipes. Motoworks all day. The fmf loses power in a full system. Dyno proven on 3 different bikes on my dyno. the motoworkcs added about 3whp over stock c/o on the ds. The fmf slip on added about 2whp. The megabomb header is a joke gimmick. Thats why FACTORY riders have custom one off head pipes. Do you research boys. Fmf is a joke and is WAY OVER priced. I have a dyno and have spent thousands of dyno runs testing products and tuning bikes.

If you want the best thats out right now go with ron woods. If you can wait the dasa will be just as good if not better but looks and sounds better.

The next best thing would be hmf full system or rossier. Hmf is way underrated and will beat the motoworks pipe all day.

My vote is wait for dasa. It has been dyno proven to be the best pipe for ALL AROUND and peak power on almost all 450 motors.

I hope this helps. My opinions are not just opinions and Im not sponsored by dasa in any way. I have many many dyno graphs proving my statements. Good luck guys and happy racing.

hey man i certainly appreciate your opinions and testing you do. many of us are probably not privalages to have someone in our backyard who does testing like it sounds you do. do you have any suggestions on not only best power but noise levels? im reading that the hmf is real loud and so is ron woods and you say those are good. im 21 years old so yes i like a little bark. but im curtious enough to not have people calling the cops on me as it ruins my time and others. so with that said whats your opinion for best power with decent sound? also anyone have any tricks for this coolant leaking issue? i mean i can do it myself i just dont feel like i should have to considering i just bought it and has less than 5 hours on it. i really dont want to have to check my clamp before every ride. just purchase a few clamps from a hardware store maybe?

WesDS450X
01-04-2009, 07:20 PM
There you go, the problem is the stock clamps are sucky and loose very easly to viberation

ltr311
01-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
hey man i certainly appreciate your opinions and testing you do. many of us are probably not privalages to have someone in our backyard who does testing like it sounds you do. do you have any suggestions on not only best power but noise levels? im reading that the hmf is real loud and so is ron woods and you say those are good. im 21 years old so yes i like a little bark. but im curtious enough to not have people calling the cops on me as it ruins my time and others. so with that said whats your opinion for best power with decent sound? also anyone have any tricks for this coolant leaking issue? i mean i can do it myself i just dont feel like i should have to considering i just bought it and has less than 5 hours on it. i really dont want to have to check my clamp before every ride. just purchase a few clamps from a hardware store maybe?

I guess I didnt make it clear enough. DASA DASA DASA! It has it all. Power, sound, looks and craftsmanship. Its the best out! If I had to choose a next best. For me rossier or hmf. All sound good and make killer power. They are loud but so is the dasa just not quite as loud.

joeyds450x
01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
yes hmf is very loud but you can get the QRS slip on or full system, it has the same power its just a little quieter.

ScottB125
01-06-2009, 08:26 AM
I was wondering how the Rossier did.....

Thanks for the info on the pipes.

dbkbushwacker, Is the dealer fixing the fly wheel bolts and sleeve under warranty?

Mr. Big Time
01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
it is under warranty, but only on certain bikes...you gotta call your dealership and ask

dbkbushwacker
01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by ScottB125
I was wondering how the Rossier did.....

Thanks for the info on the pipes.

dbkbushwacker, Is the dealer fixing the fly wheel bolts and sleeve under warranty?

Yes, even the ball joints and radiator hoses. I just got a call from my dealer that its done.

bwkcobra03
01-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Is anyone using a HMF Bill Ballance full Pro Exhaust???

WesDS450X
01-08-2009, 04:53 PM
why does your radiator hoses have to be replaced?

joeyds450x
01-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by bwkcobra03
Is anyone using a HMF Bill Ballance full Pro Exhaust??? i have the slip on and its awesome, i will get the head pipe eventually, the bottom end power is great and thats just with a slip on!

bwkcobra03
01-09-2009, 12:35 AM
can you get the head pipe later?? will it fit? if that's tthe case i might order it sooner than i was planning on. Whear did you get it from?

WesDS450X
01-09-2009, 12:36 AM
dont be a fool! motoworks ftw!!

joeyds450x
01-09-2009, 12:45 AM
can you get the head pipe later?? will it fit? if that's tthe case i might order it sooner than i was planning on. Whear did you get it from? ya i dnt see y u cant... trust me its a awesome exhaust... im not one bit dissapointed

dnt listen to wes hes just wishes he would have went with hmf..lol jk jk i do like the motoworks but i like the hmf better for sound and look

WesDS450X
01-09-2009, 12:46 AM
dont listeennn to joey!! motoworks cought hmf with there pants down and ****ed them in there *** with no vasline!! hahaahajkjk

joeyds450x
01-09-2009, 12:51 AM
o ya i bought it of atv galaxy on ebay (thats where i buy all my stuff off of, exhaust, a arms) i got a lot of deals from there i got the lonestar a arms for 500 saved over 100, the exhaust for 270, and the lonestar axcalibar axle for 324 saved over 100 again:D

joeyds450x
01-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by WesDS450X
dont listeennn to joey!! motoworks cought hmf with there pants down and ****ed them in there *** with no vasline!! hahaahajkjk
LOL nice...

i might switch to dasa when they come out if they are as good as everybody says they are... if i do that ill just sell my hmf... this is just a thought i prolly wont i love hmf and the LOUDNESS lol

bwkcobra03
01-09-2009, 06:51 AM
I was looking at the exhaust from ATV Galaxy. full exhaust is $442 with free shipping. not bad price I am also looking to get this when i order the exhaust. Pro Design Pro Flow K&N Air Filter Can Am DS450 DS 450 Item number: 120350862807. I am going to wait and ride my ds for a week befour i order it. It is still at the dealer. I brought it in for the 10hr service they are replacing flywheel bolts and sleaving the motor mount. Thew are waiting on the parts. I dropped it off on monday. I just hope they fixed the antifreeze leak. lol.

joeyds450x
01-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I was looking at the exhaust from ATV Galaxy. full exhaust is $442 with free shipping. not bad price I am also looking to get this when i order the exhaust. Pro Design Pro Flow K&N Air Filter Can Am DS450 DS 450 Item number: 120350862807. I am going to wait and ride my ds for a week befour i order it. It is still at the dealer. I brought it in for the 10hr service they are replacing flywheel bolts and sleaving the motor mount. Thew are waiting on the parts. I dropped it off on monday. I just hope they fixed the antifreeze leak. lol.
ya atv galaxy is pretty cheap compared to most places thats y i order everything from them and i like the free shipping... i did look at the prices off of hmf and atv galaxy the exhaust prices are about the same... but everythig else i got from them was cheaper :)

WesDS450X
01-09-2009, 12:05 PM
my ds ws made in 1/2008 and they said i dont need new flywheel bolts(there still in tq spec) or w/e and w/e with the rear motor mount is perect conidtion. should i go by what my dealer says or just push them to replace this stuff. i got 110 hours now on the bike of riding hard(i usly ride it like i stole it lol)

DGS
01-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Your dealer has the official bulletin on serial numbers that needed to get those changes done and if they say its not needed, then it should be fine...!! If you got 110hrs on it without problems then i doubt its going to happen... If you want, give me your chassis number and model number and i will check if the changes need to be done..!!!

WesDS450X
01-09-2009, 02:01 PM
wheres the chassis number and model number located?

DGS
01-09-2009, 02:11 PM
There should be a sticker on the LH side of the frame just infront of the engine. There is a long number mixed with letters in it, that is the VIN number. Then there is a short number and letters on the same sticker and it says model number there too...

hotshotgoal30
01-09-2009, 03:42 PM
went and picked my atv tonight after it fell off the back of my truck. they informed me of the new recall that supposidly just came out about the engine mount and fly wheel. so they ordered the parts. they recommended i didnt drive it, but i think im going to take my chances. has anyone had any problems? think i would be ok puting a few hours on it this weekend?

WesDS450X
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Vin:313VBXLL1X8V000888
Model?:3G8A

bwkcobra03
01-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I left mine at the dealer to get it serviced and the the recalls done. thay had it since monday. no parts yet. We are going to get 6 to 10 inches of snow on saturday and i cant go riding. It is a pain in the a** to keep going back to the dealer for BS work. My 10 hr service is done. Ithink i am going to leave it there.

THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE THE SERVICE BULLITANS (RECALLS) BEFOURE THE LET ME TAKE THE BIKE HOME WHEN I BOUGHT IT.

hotshotgoal30
01-10-2009, 12:22 AM
i agree. i feel like i have to keep going back and forth. because i want to ride it. or i could leave it there for 3 weeks while they order stuff and this and that. so i pick it up to ride this weekend and ill drop it back off next week. luckily my dealer is about 8 minutes away. lol

DGS
01-10-2009, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by WesDS450X
Vin:313VBXLL1X8V000888
Model?:3G8A

According to my Service Bulletin, your model number and Vin tell me you need to get yours done WesDS450X. In the Bulletin it states it is Mandatory to update these parts. I would contact your dealer and insist they do it. It also says under extreme racing conditions, the rear engine mount fails, under normal riding conditions, the failure would occur over a significant amount of time...!!!
Up to you to get it done but i would push the issue...

Blizzard24
01-10-2009, 04:27 AM
My dealer (Dutchess Rec in NY) ordered the parts and drill bit before having me bring the bike in. Took about 2.5 weeks to get the stuff in, then they called me and I dropped the bike off yesterday.

As for these things getting done, be thankful they are stepping up and saying these need to be fixed... it could be like Yamaha with a known tranny problem that tells everybody it is rider error.

bwkcobra03
01-10-2009, 07:35 AM
I talked to the DEALER they dont have the parts yet. I am picking mine up today and I am going to bring it back when they get the parts. I hope I dont have to waite 2 weeks for them to get the parts. :ermm:

WesDS450X
01-11-2009, 01:57 PM
thanks just dropped off my ds today at the shop for the flywheel bolts or w/e and rear motor mount

tim15235
01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
How do I found out if my bike is recalled? DSG, can you check my numbers too?

tim15235
01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Sorry, DGS.

DGS
01-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Sorry tim, Havnt been on in a while, send me your Vin # and model # and i will check for you....

bwkcobra03
01-14-2009, 10:42 PM
WoW check out ebay they have a motor works carbon fibre full exhaust for only $520 it includes shipping. I havent found this for less than $611 Item number: 190275398416

bwkcobra03
01-15-2009, 12:44 AM
I did some research on some exhausts systems.
If you are using a slip on at this time then you want to up grade and get a head pipe later you will need to have the slip on fitted to the new head pipe.
I got an email back from HMF and they recommend that you send your exhaust to them to be fitted. this will cost you $$$$ shipping charges, about a weeks time, and a small labor charge.
You may be able to go to a local exhaust shop you can have the pipe expanded to fit. So if you are going to get an exhaust save your moneytime and get the complete system.

tim15235
01-15-2009, 11:39 AM
VIN# 2bvbhcl78v001848 and 3F8a biult 12/07. I hope these are the right #'s. Thx

DGS
01-15-2009, 12:32 PM
will check in the morning and let you know...

tim15235
01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
thanks..

DGS
01-16-2009, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by tim15235
VIN# 2bvbhcl78v001848 and 3F8a biult 12/07. I hope these are the right #'s. Thx

Hi Tim,
According to my records your DS450 needs the upgrades. Contact your dealer to arrange the work and parts...
Good luck..