PDA

View Full Version : spray painting

PeanutButta
01-02-2009, 11:12 AM
i have a 250r frame that was all red. i sanded it all down because red really isnt my fav color. but anyways, i think i want to get it painted black. but i don't want to spend money to get it painted. is there anyway spray paint would look good and turn out nice. any tricks with spray paint so it doesn't chip easily?

thanks for everyones help

Phugg
01-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Good prep work is the key to the whole thing. If you do prep really good , you could use Krylon and it will turn out good.
There are a bunch of great paint products out there now (DupliColor). Good luck and have fun.
My nieghbor just had a bunch of peices powdercoated for his YZ450 yes 2 wheeler yuck. Frame is flat back and some of the motor covers clutch cover. Then he went with an anodized blue coat for the trees and a bunch of other parts including motor mounts. We spent hours yesterday polishing a bunch of the aluminum parts to a great shine.

PeanutButta
01-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Thank for the help. I found this website that has some nice colors you can pick from. But I dont know how good this paint is. Has anyone ever heard of this?

http://chrometree.com/site/?page_id=139

[R]iders!KB
02-03-2009, 07:06 AM
If your looking to paint it black just spray it with undercoat and let it dry for a few days so it dries reall good. I had a blaster a few years ago stripped it down to the frame and powerwashed it and degresed the frame then jus undercoated it no prep or nothing but prep work always helps. i jus did mine like that cause i was selling it. you can also use the undercoat as a primer. i sprayed mine with black then just white paint and if you let it dry it holds up great

pro-rider46
02-03-2009, 03:43 PM
you can get ppg in a spray can for about 12-22 bucks. and you can get ppg clear in a can relativly cheap too.

Mxjunkie
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
If you'd like to do it cheap you could degrease it, scotch brite it and just paint it BUT.. I might add all the surface rust and bare spots will come up later to haunt you..

Now a cheap effective way would be to sand back rusted areas clean and flake off old paint, sand with either 320 or 500grit dry.. Any area's you cannot reach scotch brite, use the Red colored one if possible. It seem's to be a good all around prepping tool, Your going to need primer or some sort of expoxy sealer to seal your work before you painting it.

Let it sit over night in atleast 60-70 degrees with some air flow. In the morning you can sand it with 500 lightly just to knock off blemish's and nasty gunk you may spray on it when you lay the primer down! LIGHTLY scotch brite the primer, don't go to deep back into the old color because red's are known to bleed through.. Sometime's it'll lift and bubble all the paint you just put on AND the orginal paint underneath! Then spray your paint/clear combo..

The expensive way which is if indeed you have acess to spray guns and a compressor.. I'd do it this way if it were mine.. Since it is a 250r frame and they are KNOWN to be cracked, I have one!! I would sand blast it lightly and check for cracks, gusset it in weak spots if need be..

Get a PPG two part primer or sealer.. You can mix them 50-50 with any old thinner, the pricer the thinner the better in the old sense though.. Hang it up from an I-beam with chains but use bolts or welding rod to go from the frame to chain.. It'll make painting A LOT easyier and you'll thank yourself lol..

Once you scuff it the same way stated above, you can lay your base color that you'd buy from PPG too.. You'll need reducer for the paint I might add.. Following the mixing directions the guy at the store will give you because most colors will differ due to high metallics and tints. If you wanted to get fancy you could do a pearl coat with a tint.. We sprayed a atc frame awhile back with blue and used some house of kolor pearl koat and it was amazing. Your going to need to buy a half or full gallon of clear coat AND the activator for the clear.. It can get rather expensive but this is the BEST way to get a deep glossy shine, if your hunting something that wont be as much of a pain and tough, hands down powder coating.

JIM GRACE
02-03-2009, 08:04 PM
i painted my sons a-arms and it came out great!

1. sand - med then fine
2. clean with soap and water
3. primer - 2-coats
4. paint 2-3 coats
5. clear 2 coats

hope this helps

Honda#4
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I have my own painting process and hasnt ailed me yet.

prepracing
02-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Acrylic Enamel is the toughest rattle can paint you can get by dupli color and holds its color very good