PDA

View Full Version : Jetting Help Please

akrowdieEX
01-02-2009, 08:24 AM
i am just getting started out in modifying and would appreciate some advice (also my first post!). i have an 07 400ex and i would like to run a few hairscrambles this year. i just got in a hmf sport slip on, dynojet kit, csr timing key, k&n filter, outerwears (and possibly run no airbox lid).. could someone please help me out with the jetting?? also i was thinking of running no airbox lid, is this a good or bad idea or is it worth the money to buy an outerwear airbox lid? Thanks!!

3or4HONDA
01-02-2009, 08:39 AM
I run the DJ 170 stock pilot and 3 3/4 turns out on A/F without my airbox lid, you should be real close with that. I have the k&n with outerwears and i dont have a problem with running without the lid. hope this helps!

sprayedgt
01-02-2009, 08:40 AM
I would start out with a keihin 155 main and go from there. I'm not sure of the dynojet equivalent . If you run without the lid I'd start with a 158 main. Three is a jet conversion chart somewhere on this site, you just gotta search for it. Running without an airbox lid IMO is a bad idea. You never know when you'll run across a puddle that'll splash into your air box and suck into the engine. The EHS lid is the best way to go with a Outerwears pre filter.

Bill Fuller
01-02-2009, 08:48 AM
For Harescrambles I would suggest that you leave the airbox lid on. As for jetting there are alot of variables here, elevation, mods, ETC.... I would recommend returning the Dynojet kit and using OEM Kiehn (SP) jets, they are not the same (as far as numbers go) and trying to get advise for them will be hard to translate in Dynojet numbers. There are many post on here, try using the search feature and that might help more. I also don't recommend the K&N filter, sepecially for XC (harescramble) racing. You never know what kind of conditions you will race in unless you are very selective in where and when you ride. To ME the K&N lets in to much dirt, I know this will cause a huge argument but that has always been my experiance. A good foam filter would be a better choice, I recommend Uni or Twin air filters. If you already have the K&N and the Outer wear and can't return them then I would get the Outerwears lid also and keep the filter lubed on a regular basis. I also am not a fan of the timing advance keys, I have known to many people that have had issues with them, no matter who is the manufacturer.

akrowdieEX
01-02-2009, 09:00 AM
thanks for the help so far.. so are you saying the dynojet is bad?? i was looking for someone who has the same or close to the same mods so far and see wat they thing

3or4HONDA
01-02-2009, 09:15 AM
if you already have the DJ kit try the setting i said and see where your at, mine runs great. we should be about the same elevation.

Bill Fuller
01-02-2009, 09:15 AM
No I'm not saying they are bad just that the numbers don't match the stock Keihn jet numbers. As you can see from the above responses you are going to have to research for a conversion chart or trial and error wich my be costly.