PDA

View Full Version : Crank Case Sealing

ww228king
01-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Ok guys... I am starting a long drawn out quad project, unless I win the NC lotto...then it will be quick ..lol This is just something for my son and I to work on here and there on our free time. So not in a rush.
I got an old 2000 Monsoon 90 that I am going to transform into a Hybrid... I have a set of Kasea plastics on the way and going to fabricate as much as I can... I am looking an older 80/85 LC dirt bike engine at this time. I have my eye on a 2002 RM80 right now, but waiting on the funds if he still has it when I get the funds.

ANYWAY!! Here is what I got... the engine is the normal stock jog engine. Got it pretty cheap and was running rough.. Tore it apart today and found out that the left crank seal is leaking and that explains why I had to feed it gas to start it and it ran erratic...it was sucking air from the shaft and also had the belt and everything else full of oil and gas... it looks like some one tryed to fix it before by packing silicon around the seal. The topend has pretty good compression and I want to keep this engine for a back up for a little guys polaris 90. So .... my question is... that little rubber seal that i took out, is that the only thing holding the bottom end from pulling air?

ww228king
01-01-2009, 06:34 PM
`1

ww228king
01-01-2009, 06:35 PM

ww228king
01-01-2009, 06:41 PM

riding4fun
01-01-2009, 06:46 PM
From the left side yes. Did you check the right side also? No cracks in the case?

ww228king
01-01-2009, 06:49 PM
right side is dry.... the case is dry... the engine is clean

riding4fun
01-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Sounds like that's all it will need.

LT80
01-02-2009, 07:07 AM
"that little rubber seal that i took out, is that the only thing holding the bottom end from pulling air?"

Yes. I put a lil grease on them and push em in. I've not had any problems.

You do realize that the RM motor (yam,hon too) will vibrate the frame apart.

01-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by ww228king
Ok guys... I am starting a long drawn out quad project, unless I win the NC lotto...then it will be quick ..lol This is just something for my son and I to work on here and there on our free time. So not in a rush.
I got an old 2000 Monsoon 90 that I am going to transform into a Hybrid... I have a set of Kasea plastics on the way and going to fabricate as much as I can... I am looking an older 80/85 LC dirt bike engine at this time. I have my eye on a 2002 RM80 right now, but waiting on the funds if he still has it when I get the funds.

ANYWAY!! Here is what I got... the engine is the normal stock jog engine. Got it pretty cheap and was running rough.. Tore it apart today and found out that the left crank seal is leaking and that explains why I had to feed it gas to start it and it ran erratic...it was sucking air from the shaft and also had the belt and everything else full of oil and gas... it looks like some one tryed to fix it before by packing silicon around the seal. The topend has pretty good compression and I want to keep this engine for a back up for a little guys polaris 90. So .... my question is... that little rubber seal that i took out, is that the only thing holding the bottom end from pulling air?

I can get a kx 85 motor radiator and wiring harness for 200.00 but it does need crank bearings just thought i would let you know or my cousin has an older cr 80 i believe a 90s model for 250 running just need a front wheel. Just trying to help, Toby:D

ww228king
01-02-2009, 07:29 AM
I have heard that it will put a beating on it..... but metal is metal and the dirt bike, and other quad frames all stay together... I think some reinforcments will be ok... plus I will be changing the the frame's main stream just a little... there is alot of open space under that seat that the quad does not need and will be cut out... but will need even longer swing-arm to compensate... the shock mount needs to be in farther also... good suspension should keep the landing soft... study the 80/85cc dirt bike frames... not much metal, but the design will hold it all together... I know, I know... just go buy a $3000 chromoly frame..... that is not the cash that i have to spend and that is not the way that I like to have fun.... This will be a long thought about project that is not and has no need to be rushed... father and son conversation piece and then plenty of time to make it a nice racer... son is 6 going on 7.... so have a few years to break the frame in and fine the weak spots to work on..
I want a small frame with a big punch... not a blaster frame or any other.... Cobra seems to hold together nice too....
thanks

ww228king
01-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by tgcheeseman
I can get a kx 85 motor radiator and wiring harness for 200.00 but it does need crank bearings just thought i would let you know or my cousin has an older cr 80 i believe a 90s model for 250 running just need a front wheel. Just trying to help, Toby:D
why can't you guys live closer..lol that CR80 would be right up our ally

LT80
01-02-2009, 07:54 AM
son is 6 going on 7....

I have a KX60 I'd sell.

01-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by ww228king
why can't you guys live closer..lol that CR80 would be right up our ally

Yes the closest ill be to you is in the morning at WOOSTER OHIO were leaving out tonight and staying in Dayton for the night and going to suprise someone in WOOSTER LOL!!!:D

ww228king
01-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Stock 90cc frame...

ww228king
01-02-2009, 09:01 AM
My brain storming to modify the frame to handle the 80/85cc dirt bike engine...

LT80
01-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by tgcheeseman
Yes the closest ill be to you is in the morning at WOOSTER OHIO were leaving out tonight and staying in Dayton for the night and going to suprise someone in WOOSTER LOL!!!:D

Wooster is a cpl hours or so from me.

Jason, what swingarm/axel are you going to use?

ww228king
01-02-2009, 11:30 AM
have not made my mind up yet.... still working ideas of the frame and stuff might try to use the dirt bike swing arm, but modify it to fit a 400ex rearend... it will prolly be my own creation ... but I do want to go with a big boy rear end and axle...

ww228king
01-02-2009, 12:14 PM
ok last one... for now... then i will post pics in a few months of the progress...

riding4fun
01-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Sounds like a cool project.