PDA

View Full Version : PEP DRR LT Shocks From SF Racing

guy310
01-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Here are a few pics of the new PEP shocks. These shocks are for Laeger Arms but are very similar in dimension to the other LT A-Arms and can be built for any configuration I imagine.

guy310
01-01-2009, 04:30 PM
That was the back, here are the fronts.

guy310
01-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Here they are naked.

#404's Dad
01-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Wow, those are SICK!! Will PEP be making shocks for a DRR w/ STD Travel setup for TT Racing?

Logan #34's Dad
01-01-2009, 08:14 PM
How overpriced are these going to be?

guy310
01-01-2009, 08:45 PM
They were $1540 shipped. That doesn't sound overpriced to me considering the Fox are about $1450 or so. These are built specifically for your rider and machine and tested, not picked off a shelf and sent to you. The Fox seem to very good shocks but I think these definitely warrant a good look. As far as TT shocks, if you call Seth at SF and you can get him the dimensions he needs I am sure they would build a set. They have buitl these for TRX's and Apex's and now the DRR.

Logan #34's Dad
01-01-2009, 08:54 PM
That's crazy. I'll stick to the proven Elkas, which are also made for your particular rider.
I just can't see putting more money into the front end than I can buy a whole quad for. I think these front ends are overrated and overpriced. Logan runs just fine with stock a-arms and Elkas. Just my opinion.

guy310
01-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Let me know where I can buy that DRR for $1500 because I am all over it. I am not dogging anybody elses stuff but when you go to Nationals next year take a poll of the A class the Pro-Am class and the Pro class and let me know how many guys are running Elkas compared to PEP's. You aren't comparing apples to apples so it is an unfair comparison. I see you have a bunch of money in your engine, I didn't post what an overpriced POS I think your metrakit is did I? I'll put my money in suspension over engine anyday of the week. Thats just the way I do it, that doesn't mean I will impose my opinion on you though. How much do the Elkas for a LT setup cost? That would be a true apples to apples.

Logan #34's Dad
01-01-2009, 09:48 PM
You can find a 1500.00 used DRR on this very forum. Yeah it may be used but it's still the exact same as the new one. Go ahead and spend your money and watch the rear end of my "overpriced POS" Metrakit with stock a-arms and stock length shocks as it leaves yours behind.
And how do you figure the MK is a "POS"? It was on the 1st, 2nd, 4th place overall riders quads at Nationals in '08? And I'm sure more top finishers as well.
Anyhow, I'm not saying that these companies aren't making great products BUT I just don't see the benefit over the cost. And I know everyone says suspension over engine BUT when your being out powered from turn to turn all the suspension in the world will not help. As far as the LT set ups: Does it really make that much of a differance or have we all got sucked up in the "gotta have that" thing? We are talking about around an inch.

ww228king
01-01-2009, 09:54 PM
my take on shocks is..... 80% is the R&D that you are paying for not the material or labor to assemble..... I mean how dang much does 15LBS of aluminum and steel cost? $1,500 for two shocks for a mini ATV and you can get two shocks for a truck for $200... same or even less material is used and same or even less labor is used, but they cost 7 times more, because they know that people will buy them... the prices are set to market values... all it takes is for one of the top companies to charge the reasonable cost for thier shocks ( i think around $300 for two) and the market will change.... look at the electronics market.... the first two years that something new comes out it is 3 to 4 times higher that it will be 3 years later... same product, same labor or more labor cost, but cheaper, then the rest of the companies followed.... R&D is what the first 2 years payed for

Logan #34's Dad
01-02-2009, 12:02 AM
I agree with you ww228king. That's what I'm trying to say. I understand the r&d costs for the manufacturers BUT once you figure it out why gouge the people. IMO - If you keep the costs down you will sell a ton more and recoup the r&d costs quicker. A set of aftermarket a-arms for these mini's start at around $750.00, there is NO WAY the manufacturer has anything close to that in metal and labor. It's simple economics - sell MORE products with less profit per item = make money, sell LESS products with more profit per item = less money. My thinking is I would rather my employee be staying busy making products than standing around with little orders to fill because not enough people can afford the product. Remember Just My Opinion.

guy310
01-02-2009, 05:33 AM
I guess you have to interpret what I said a little better. 1500 is for 3 shocks, not just the fronts. It does no good to have LT front and not rear. For my particular situation, my daughter does not ride the engine to its full potential yet but she does ride the chassis to its full potential so it makes the most sense for me to build suspension first. Most parents make the same mistake and put an NHRA engine in little Johnny or little Susie's quad and they are first to the first turn but then the suspension bucks them right off the machine. I am not a mechanical engineer so I refuse to debate the specifics of a LT vs. ST suspension but in my experience I have enjoyed the benefits of longer travel suspension on a big quad and now I am applying that to our mini quad. Thank you.

ww228king
01-02-2009, 05:42 AM
It would be cheaper to by a set of FOX shocks for a Hummer than a mini ATV...
http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/113/sfID3/114/productID/80

zach R 7x
01-02-2009, 05:51 AM
price for elkas for 08 apex lt ;
non adj.triple rates $430.00 shipped.
full adj w piggy back ressies $680.00 shipped.
we bought the the non adj. for the frt. and tested this week and Zach loves them .i called elka for adj. advice, and they were very helpful . however i did buy these when they had the15% discounts. but i would recommend to anybody.

last year we went with motor over suspension and had great success. my $2000.00 mk 70 kit motor was worth every penny. and my shocks cost me $300.00. but this yr i am doing just the oppasit.
zach has 4 to 5 years in the 90 class,and he went from single a-arm to double ,so i wanted him to learn on good equipment.motor will come later.

hey ,logans dad,are you coming to summit next week?

bulldogfallon
01-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Hey guys....

I know most of you well and I think that you are all good people and that this subject has many "opinions" which all are valid.

Let's play nice and be supportive.

What works for one doesn't always work for the other.

As long as the sport grows, the kids have fun and are safe let's be grateful.

bulldogfallon
01-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by #8trx450r
Wow, those are SICK!! Will PEP be making shocks for a DRR w/ STD Travel setup for TT Racing?

You should see more PEP stuff on the minis this year...

Of sister shop J&J Motorsports is close with PEP and is an authorized PEP service shop.

The JB Racing/PEP set up is what we think we be the next set up to watch out for.

But all of the the manufacturers make really nice products and help push the other to new levels of quality and performance.

ww228king
01-02-2009, 06:18 AM
ok ok.... Logan Dad started it...lol Sorry to rant about the cost of these bits and pieces on here and High Jack this thread...

Logan #34's Dad
01-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah but I did not start the hate. I'm trying to voice my opinion about how things are overpriced with these mini's and guy310 decided to get hateful about my "POS" motor. I made no personal attacks. Everyone knows that I am very easy to get along with but if you cross me then things change. I will take things up one notch if need be. Just the way I am like it or not.

Anyhow, Zach's Dad, We will not be at the first set of Summit Indoors. Logan is in the middle of wrestling season and I would hate for him to get hurt riding his quad. I plan on being at the Feb. ones. I just can't wait for someone to protest us for being under cc's. :)

zach R 7x
01-03-2009, 07:17 AM
i totally agree with logans dad about these prices ,they are a bit out of hand . but we are forced to buy them if we want to stay competitive. i think those pep shocks look great ,and if i knew they gave my son a great advantage over the next kid ,i would be in begging my wife to let me buy them!

logans dad, i do not think you will have to worry to much about the cc protest , i do not remember if you were there, but somebody tried to protest #9 at malvern last summer because she was running a 69cc motor in the 90 class , and josh would do it . plus most of the people that will be there know you and logan , so i don't think there will be any problems.

guy310
01-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I think hateful is a pretty strong word and like I said if you read what I said more clearly, you will get the meaning. I did not declare your motor a POS. I was making a point. I was showing off some product because these guys helped me out quite a bit to get the front end, you then proceeded to inform me what an overrated overpriced "gotta have that" thing. I didn't ask for any opinions, I was just displaying some pictures. I didn't see you hijacking Dave Carter's suspension thread or the ATV-Four Play thread or the Fox thread and declaring them overrated or overpriced. So the bottom line is to not impose your opinions on everybody else. This thread was only to display some products that are available also.

JIM GRACE
01-03-2009, 10:56 AM
the more players in the mini quad suspension market should bring
prices down, but i does'nt look that way imo.

and the buy shocks for the price of a quad theory is true.
brandon's 50 is for sale in the mini quad section and we would be
short about 60 bucks plus the tax:blah:

very nice shocks. good luck

quadrider79
01-03-2009, 08:51 PM
With suspension in mind. You guys need to check out Precision Racing's Lt a-arm's and swing arms. I got one of his swing arms and my kid loves it and so do I. Give him a call at 319-6143. Very good prices.

jread14
01-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
That's crazy. I'll stick to the proven Elkas, which are also made for your particular rider.
I just can't see putting more money into the front end than I can buy a whole quad for. I think these front ends are overrated and overpriced. Logan runs just fine with stock a-arms and Elkas. Just my opinion.

First off, I had the same setup on my sons DRR that you are running on your sons and there is no comaprison to it and the LT setups that we are running on both of his bikes now. I understand that it is not for everybody, but why knock it if you havent tried it. You think your boy is fast and brave now.... Put a LT setup on his bike and it will suprise how much faster his lap times are when he sees that he can push it that much further. I am only chiming in on this because again I have had the same setup you are running now, and first hand have seen how much of a difference it is going to LT. Good luck to all of you in whatever setup you choose. Oh, and by the way, that motor is no POS is TA built it!;)

Logan #34's Dad
01-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi jread14, I know what your saying. I was not trying to be ugly about guy310's post. I just to get so tired of how expensive this stuff is for these mini's. But it our fault because we accept these prices.(all I need is a picket sign!):p I can get a 10 foot stick 1" by .120 walled 4130 Chromoly tubing for $62.00 plus shipping. So make your own opinion about the mark up.
I wish I could afford the long travel stuff because I would run it. When you add it up - $1000.00 for front shocks and $800.00 for the a-arms equals around $1500.00 for a great front end and all we are getting is another inch of travel. I am guessing it makes them handle the corners better too?
Guy310, I appolagize if I offended you personally - that was not my intension But you made a direct attack about MY motor, I did not initially say anything about YOU only about the system we all play in.
I'm done with this - I hope I made my point about these prices.

guy310
01-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Logan's Dad, no offense taken, everybody gets a little worked up sometimes, including myself. Definitely my intention was not to dog your engine or the engine work. We should be at the Summit races in February and I should have the suspension dialed in fairly well by that time and you guys would be more than welcome to ride it to check it out, that is if your boy doesn't mind riding a pink quad. Girls love their pink you know. The difference in suspension is more pronounced on outdoor tracks than arenacross style, but a difference would still be felt. I hope to meet you there at the very least and we can BS a while and we'll bury the hatchet.

jread14
01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Hi jread14, I know what your saying. I was not trying to be ugly about guy310's post. I just to get so tired of how expensive this stuff is for these mini's. But it our fault because we accept these prices.(all I need is a picket sign!):p I can get a 10 foot stick 1" by .120 walled 4130 Chromoly tubing for $62.00 plus shipping. So make your own opinion about the mark up.
I wish I could afford the long travel stuff because I would run it. When you add it up - $1000.00 for front shocks and $800.00 for the a-arms equals around $1500.00 for a great front end and all we are getting is another inch of travel. I am guessing it makes them handle the corners better too?
Guy310, I appolagize if I offended you personally - that was not my intension But you made a direct attack about MY motor, I did not initially say anything about YOU only about the system we all play in.

I know what you mean about the mark up! It has killed me to spend that kind of money. I had 2 bikes that I had to LT out last year and needless to say I was past budget and the season hadent even started... :( Needless to say I am glad I did it and like I said before we all have our own set ups and beliefs and I am all for that... Good luck in 09 with that POS motor. Just kidding guy310. I cant wait till my son is old enough for the class that will allow him to run one of TA's motors. He is a great guy and a awesome source when it comes to anything on these little mini's.

#404's Dad
01-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Who is TA ?

Thanx

Nichols Atvs
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Tom Alley Google ta porting

#404's Dad
01-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
Tom Alley Google ta porting

Thank you :-)

01-05-2009, 08:44 PM
IMO Shawn Snyder and Tommy Alley is the BEST PORTING AND POLISHING WITH N THE FASTEST MOTOR OUT THERE TRY ONE OF THEM and let me know :D

T@AFP
01-06-2009, 07:22 AM

I KNOW I shouldn't go here......but I gotta.

I actually laid in bed thinking about this statement last night.
There is a ALOT more to making a set of A arms than some may think. The tubing cost is just a small piece of the puzzle.
Design,engineering, R&D,CNC parts, Bushings,Tubing benders,Mills, Tools,Machines,Welders, powder coating, insurance, payroll ETC.....
For those who think that we as manufactures have a "big Mark up" .......think again. You would be suprised as to actual how little our mark up is. You may even wonder why we do it.
Make no mistake, I'm not whining. I have been in the ATV business one way or another since the first 250R showed up in 86'-87'.
I love doing it especially now that we're in the mini market.......but definately am NOT getting rich doing it.

side note: Chromoly tubing prices raised 32% in 2008.

Thanks,
Tom

Nichols Atvs
01-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks Tom for sheading some light on this subject for us . Hope you have a great new year. Heath Nichols

raidernut
01-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by T@AFP
I KNOW I shouldn't go here......but I gotta.

I actually laid in bed thinking about this statement last night.
There is a ALOT more to making a set of A arms than some may think. The tubing cost is just a small piece of the puzzle.
Design,engineering, R&D,CNC parts, Bushings,Tubing benders,Mills, Tools,Machines,Welders, powder coating, insurance, payroll ETC.....
For those who think that we as manufactures have a "big Mark up" .......think again. You would be suprised as to actual how little our mark up is. You may even wonder why we do it.
Make no mistake, I'm not whining. I have been in the ATV business one way or another since the first 250R showed up in 86'-87'.
I love doing it especially now that we're in the mini market.......but definately am NOT getting rich doing it.

side note: Chromoly tubing prices raised 32% in 2008.

Thanks,
Tom

Your exactly on the money Tom, some dont realize what the events are that lead up to the end product which some just view as a inexpensive piece of metal stock. I bet you cant count the hours involved in prototyping the first one off set of an arm for a new bike or design, and oh ya you forgot the maintenance costs for your mills and cnc machines, You deserve every penny for the hard work that goes into your products.

guy310
01-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Well said Tom.

mini racer #39
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi guys! I love the mini quad game. From the building to the racing. The peps look real nice your little girl will love them. I just saw a set for a 300 last week. Suspension before motor is the best way trust me i know (past mistake ).Erik would ride a pink quad he likes pink. He rides for elka and loves them and our mk motor but that dont mean thair any better then the rest. See you all soon and the best of luck to all in 2009. Looking forward to seeing Lane's new quad. And i'm (popeye)watching you #34...lol..
Jerry:macho