PDA

View Full Version : Video of trip to Little Sahara Dunes

Pipeless416
01-01-2009, 03:29 PM
hey guys, heres a video i threw together of our trip last from last saturday till yesterday (new years eve) at little sahara state park, OK. i blew my head gasket by pulling a head stud, and almost sank my quad, but nobody was hurt and it was a great trip. hope you enjoy! ps- im on the red 400ex, my brother (blastereaten250) is on the silver 400ex, and my dad is on the z400.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BXRYRqHUmNk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BXRYRqHUmNk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

scuzz
01-02-2009, 09:13 AM
little sahara is fun, where did you guys stay?

Pipeless416
01-02-2009, 11:20 AM
trails inn. not impressed with the cleanliness this time around.. :ermm: we ended up there and it still took us 20 hours to get there due to highway closings for ice and driving through a blizzard. it was like 65 each day though :)

scuzz
01-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Yeah, if you ask me that whole surrounding area is crap.

We stayed at the Rats Nest which was touted as a "camp ground" which it may have been should we have just survived some sort of an Apocalypse.

They had two port a potty's that you could smell from 50 yards. They had cut up clothing in them because there evidently wasn't any TP there for a long, long while.

The staff was nice, but it made you wonder where all the fees were going that they were collecting without jumping to unfair conclusions. They actually were grading their drag strip ($1 a pass if you were staying on the camp grounds) with an old dodge 4x4 pulling an I-beam.

The State park bathrooms were equally as deplorable with feces on the walls, floor and shower.

I'm sure it would be a better experience had I bought my own RV or camper.

As far as the riding area, I would never go out there without a minimum of three people. Two to sit at the top of the dune to watch out and 1 to climb. There have been several instances out there were buggies would crest a dune and kill or maim an unsuspecting ATV-er.

LTRracer4
01-02-2009, 12:37 PM
you worry too much... ive been there 13 times and ive never had a bad trip.. your first problems is the north camp SUCKS... south is where its at.. the bathrooms have always been nice, and there is always a way more fun crowd there. As for the danger? your in the dunes what do you expect? thats one of the things that is a thrill... on a busy day i would never jump consistantly without a spotter, but that is expected. Its a given no to ride alone in an area like that, but 2 ppl is plenty. I dont know, you gotta lower your standards a bit and have a good time.

scuzz
01-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Sorry if I came off prudish, I had a good time, I just found the place to be nasty and I also wanted people to be careful. Someone just got killed there about a month or so ago.

LTRracer4
01-02-2009, 12:47 PM
yeah i watched somebody die there 2 years ago when i was 15. came over staight back dune 5th tapped on a banshee showing off for a group of people. he stuck in in the dune on the other side... pretty creepy to watch. we found a 70 foot long step up type jump there last trip, it was 4th gear tapped... i had a spotter who was looking at me waving me on, but not looking at the back side of the dune, i launched and im in the air watching a rail ride through right where im to land... scary scary stuff, he moved right as i landed, closest call of my dune riding.

gen3usa
01-02-2009, 12:49 PM
our club went out there in 2007, had a pretty good time, more ofa meet and greet trip, drank alot of beers and hanging out, we drove 31 hours to get there and......from the dunes perspective its week, did enjoy ripping the perimeter trail, camping was suspect and weather can be tricky too! all in all its fun and had a good time, but since i live in dune country already i would not make this trip again! its just to far, but the purpose of the trip was for the club! thanks Oklahoma for the memories!

Pipeless416
01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by LTRracer4
you worry too much... ive been there 13 times and ive never had a bad trip.. your first problems is the north camp SUCKS... south is where its at.. the bathrooms have always been nice, and there is always a way more fun crowd there. As for the danger? your in the dunes what do you expect? thats one of the things that is a thrill... on a busy day i would never jump consistantly without a spotter, but that is expected. Its a given no to ride alone in an area like that, but 2 ppl is plenty. I dont know, you gotta lower your standards a bit and have a good time.

even on a dead day i would never jump without a spotter... and the bathrooms at the south camp didn't even have sinks this year lol. trails inn was actually pretty nice last year, and this year it wasn't too bad.. it just had a water leak and you could tell the room had a lot more use, as they had another years worth of people staying in it. it wasn't bad have three queen beds and a kitchen for like $70 a night.

Motoracer13
01-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Nice Vid Bro! Looks like ya had fun wich is whats its about. Its alot more fun when the crowds arent there. The sand looked alot smoother than when I was there this fall. Hope to see ya there sometime!

scuzz
01-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Those step-up jumps are my favorite.

Pipeless416
01-02-2009, 01:00 PM
thanks man. it was a lot of fun because we just don't have anything like it around where i live. i hope we can make it down there sometime again.. this was kind of a last minute decision since my dad found out 2 weeks before that he got a week off, and gas prices are cheap. next winter we'll probably be in coal creek.

Motoracer13
01-02-2009, 04:28 PM
If your driving that far keep in mind that unless you like to party or like crowds the times to avoid are the week before and after Easter, Thanksgiving and the last weekend in October. Of corse the summer holidays are always busy also. Its about 6-7 hrs from Kansas City so I try to plan on going when crowds are sparse and the sand is smooth!

LTRracer4
01-02-2009, 05:44 PM
i love the crowds... we got down over halloween and watch all the costumes ride by. fun stuff.