PDA

View Full Version : Diets

dingocatcher
01-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Have any of you guys got a good diet to stick to for the racing season from now on, not so much to lose weight but to be fit?.....:muscle:

gcart2
01-01-2009, 03:48 PM
yea be on your football and weightlifting team.

that is if your in high school of course.:p

dingocatcher
01-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
yea be on your football and weightlifting team.

that is if your in high school of course.:p

Awww dude id say the last time i saw the inside of a high school you were learning your ABC's

DAM IM TOO OLD.............:cuss:

gcart2
01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
lol. racing is not a muscle sport, its an endurance sport.

Start running, run until your feet fall out from under you. your not gonna do anything by jogging until you get tired and taking a break. push yourself.

gcart2
01-01-2009, 04:02 PM
id say this is appropriate

dingocatcher
01-01-2009, 04:04 PM
lol. racing is not a muscle sport, its an endurance sport.

Start running, run until your feet fall out from under you. your not gonna do anything by jogging until you get tired and taking a break. push yourself.

Lol.....one road bike accident = no knee cap in left leg and steel pin in the same = ONLY RUN WHEN LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!

Will give the push bike a good outing though! More wanting a good diet to stick to though...

JRP
01-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Diets are simple. No sodas, beer, any alcohol. Stay away from anything you think is bad for you. Chips, cookies, anything high in sugar. Eat lots of meat, veggies(good carbs and fiber to keep you full), fruits(good natural sugars n sweets), natural pb(in moderation), anything whole grain/wheat is good also. Whole grain breads instead of white. No bagels, english muffins, butter, all the good stuff, take out lol. If you drink milk go for skim and get some Whey Protein to mix it with(usually atleast 20g in each scoop). Try to get fat free stuff, meats, veggies. Eat 5-8x a day. Have a breakfast, lunch, dinner, then atleast a meal inbetween and something before bed. Nothing real big but just something to feed your body. If you need any help, PM me. Thanks

derekhonda
01-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Basically just eat good foods, eat smaller portions, and eat more meals.

Theres a huge science to it that I don't even understand well enough to explain but eat a good breakfast, pack yourself a good lunch for work, eat half of it, go back to work, eat the rest 2 or 3 hours later, and then eat a small dinner early.

dingocatcher
01-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by JRP
Diets are simple. No sodas, beer, any alcohol. Stay away from anything you think is bad for you. Chips, cookies, anything high in sugar. Eat lots of meat, veggies(good carbs and fiber to keep you full), fruits(good natural sugars n sweets), natural pb(in moderation), anything whole grain/wheat is good also. Whole grain breads instead of white. No bagels, english muffins, butter, all the good stuff, take out lol. If you drink milk go for skim and get some Whey Protein to mix it with(usually atleast 20g in each scoop). Try to get fat free stuff, meats, veggies. Eat 5-8x a day. Have a breakfast, lunch, dinner, then atleast a meal inbetween and something before bed. Nothing real big but just something to feed your body. If you need any help, PM me. Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to write that out, it does just list 75% of my diet! THE BAD SIDE,!!
But i am going to be changing that around just will take a few weeks to get used to it but i know i will feel better for it too!!

Thanks again!

honda250xman
01-01-2009, 06:44 PM
id say this is appropriate

haha yeahhh thats me!!!! haha. train man, and train hard. like jordan said watch sugar and sodas. drink water and eat right. hit the gym, light weights lots of reps. abs and lower back. work your core. and ride, that is the best workout possible.

snacob14
01-01-2009, 07:06 PM
weight watchers is an awesome diet. It gives u everything you need to know about healthy eating, it just teaches you to eat in moderation. My wife and mother in law both lost between 20-30 pounds on this diet, and they were both in realitively good shape.

JRP
01-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by snacob14
weight watchers is an awesome diet. It gives u everything you need to know about healthy eating, it just teaches you to eat in moderation. My wife and mother in law both lost between 20-30 pounds on this diet, and they were both in realitively good shape.

I wouldn't go as far as weight watchers IMO. You dont need that to lose weight. Just stick to the basics, it will get you very far! Check out www.bodybuilding.com and go to the forums. Look in the nutrition, losing fat, and all the other sections. Great information and that site also has great information on the home page!

01-01-2009, 09:50 PM
run! you will shed weight and build up a lot of endurance. lifting weights is good but you dont need to go crazy with it. Drink a lot of water and try not to eat snacks between meals.

dirtbike&quad
01-01-2009, 10:53 PM
its pretty simple. youre looking to stay in shape for just racing. i havent raced before but i have riden hours at a time at a fast pace and not gotten tired (dont get me wrong im in good shape, youth helps) but, just eat healthy, you know whats good and whats bad for you. try to minimize your salt (salt does help your body recoop so it might be good for after a race), minimize on ANY fats, stick to the food guides you see everywhere.

youre old (as you said) and youre not racing to become a professional and for a career youre racing to have fun, so stay positive about everything. do you have to get first? no. is it nice? yes. but is it worth changing your daily life just to get it? no...

don't change your life around racing. its not fair to yourself. youre not getting paid to do it, youre paying.

think about it. is it really worth it? diet really isn't going to help THAT much. Just get out there and ride the tracks youre racing at. Get familiar with the terrein. Thats really whats crucial.

You could throw a lot of professionals on my track here at my house but i bet i could beat them in a XC race, because i know my track better than ANYONE. thats how you should be. learn the tracks, know the turns, the jumps, the rocks, the logs, the rivers. everything. know whats ahead of you and be prepared for it

JRP
01-02-2009, 09:46 AM
What type of racing are you doing? If its MX, do HIIT training, which stands for high intensity interval training. That would be like, running at a jog for 1.5minutes, then sprinting a minute. It elevates your heart rate to around 90% of your HRM. MX is an endurance sport, and when your in a tight battle with someone, or just pounding out the laps, your heart rate is high, so to get used to it being that high, try HIIT training. I STRONGLY suggest doing it on concept 2 rowers(if you have access to them). Stationary bikes are okay, but id do treadmills last(hard on knees). Even if you have an elliptical, or stair stepper, try those. When it comes to the weight lifting aspect, back, core, shoulders, legs = main muscle groups. 3-5 sets, 10-15 reps. Some people think, 3 sets, but 25reps each. Yea that will be good endurance, but you wont grow and get stronger, so it ruins the point. Being stronger makes riding wayyy easier! You should have 2 stages in training, pre season, and in season. In the pre season, also right after the season is over, you can start off by doing 3-4 sets of like 4-8 reps to get bigger and stronger. Try that for 5-6 weeks, then transition to what i said earlier in the post. Deffinitely when the season starts your going to want to limit the weights and stick to incorporating cardio and riding as #1. You can train like the UFC guys do for cardio, and do like stations. One station do back rows, then sumo squats, then upright rows, the situps. But like back to back to back. No stopping. Do high reps. Do like 20-30 reps, and wait 2 min inbetween each round(or 1). It WILL make you winded and want to throw up, but it is very good to keep u in shape and burn fat!

dingocatcher
01-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by JRP
What type of racing are you doing? If its MX, do HIIT training, which stands for high intensity interval training. That would be like, running at a jog for 1.5minutes, then sprinting a minute. It elevates your heart rate to around 90% of your HRM. MX is an endurance sport, and when your in a tight battle with someone, or just pounding out the laps, your heart rate is high, so to get used to it being that high, try HIIT training. I STRONGLY suggest doing it on concept 2 rowers(if you have access to them). Stationary bikes are okay, but id do treadmills last(hard on knees). Even if you have an elliptical, or stair stepper, try those. When it comes to the weight lifting aspect, back, core, shoulders, legs = main muscle groups. 3-5 sets, 10-15 reps. Some people think, 3 sets, but 25reps each. Yea that will be good endurance, but you wont grow and get stronger, so it ruins the point. Being stronger makes riding wayyy easier! You should have 2 stages in training, pre season, and in season. In the pre season, also right after the season is over, you can start off by doing 3-4 sets of like 4-8 reps to get bigger and stronger. Try that for 5-6 weeks, then transition to what i said earlier in the post. Deffinitely when the season starts your going to want to limit the weights and stick to incorporating cardio and riding as #1. You can train like the UFC guys do for cardio, and do like stations. One station do back rows, then sumo squats, then upright rows, the situps. But like back to back to back. No stopping. Do high reps. Do like 20-30 reps, and wait 2 min inbetween each round(or 1). It WILL make you winded and want to throw up, but it is very good to keep u in shape and burn fat!

Yep its MX and a maybe a bit of Endurance thrown in for good measure, i have a mate thats started the UFC training so i will give him a shout and do a bit with him!

Will try to start at a slow pace though, dont want a bad strain by trying to hard at the start!!

Cheers........

ccmuscle22
01-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Jordan is on the right track. Nutrition is fairly simple. It's about balance and consistency. If you are 90% solid on both, your doing it right. The training is important, but nutrition makes or breaks your results. The UFC/MMA training is great. as well. Were opening a MotoX Nutrition Rider training facility this month, and some high intensity MMA style training is certainly involved, and it keeps it fun.

Christian
TEAM MXN MotoX Nutrition
www.motoxnutrition.com
Coming SOON-
MotoX Nutrition Rider specific training facility***

dingocatcher
01-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Started the HIIT today and it sure is tough!! did 6 sets of 30sec sprints then 30sec jog with 5min warm up and cool down.

Doesnt sound a great deal but if your not in shape try it and u'll understand. The good part - you cant give yourself the excuse of got no time today as 20mins or so will cover it at the moment..

Thanks guys think this will suit me well, if it doesnt kill me 1st!

Now wheres the oxygen..........;)

Ps - not changing the diet a great deal just eating breakfast for a change and cutting down the portions with no between meal snacks

Cheers

LTRracer4
01-03-2009, 10:49 AM
my body fat percentage is low, to where i need to eat some fats in my diet to stay in the healthy zone. I love natural peanut butter and nuts and things like that. The 6 meals a day is important, my personal trainer explained it to me like this... if you start a small fire and throw a huge log on it ( a big meal) then it will just smolder all day, but if you throw little bits of kindling on (smaller meals through out the day) then the fire will grow and get burning very fiercly (your metabolism after some time of doing this). if you are wanting to gain mass say you weigh 165 and you want to way 185, then just a rule of thumb is takin in as many grams of protein as you wanna weigh. so that would be 185gs a day. for breakfast i usually eat 3 eggs with yellows, and 2 egg whites, with ham or steak (the fat i need), then i will have whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter on it, and 16 oz of water, 8oz of 2% milk and 8oz of oj. then a few hours later i will have a protein shake (around 30g) and then a peice of fruit. for lunch ill have a lean meat like turkey or chicken on wheat breadwith a small amount of real mayonase or mustard. with that ill have 16oz of water, some vegtables, and some fruit. a few hours after that ill have a can of tuna or 2 peices of wheat bread with nat pb on them.. then for dinner fish, chicken, or bison ( i love bison ). with a salad, some pasta with real butter and parmesean cheese, and then 16oz of water and 8oz of milk. after my meal settles is when id hit the gym, and then after that id have a protein shake again, and then usually id eat a handful of nuts and a glass of milk before bed. that was at the top of my training, it works out to be around 4700 calories. i wouldnt recomend this right of the bat, but once your metabolism gets cranking keep workin your way up. notice that every meal focused on protein... eatin this diet and working out 3 days a week (all agility for mx, little to no weight training) i was gaining 3-5 lbs a week. Notice there is alot of fats in that meal plan, im young and i need those to keep in muscle building range. One more note, your are better off to eat sugar then you are splenda or aspartame. you are better off to eat real butter then you are to eat a fake butter... dont cut any corners, eat all organic everything, and dont eat anything fake. now i let my fingers rest...

dingocatcher
01-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by LTRracer4
my body fat percentage is low, to where i need to eat some fats in my diet to stay in the healthy zone. I love natural peanut butter and nuts and things like that. The 6 meals a day is important, my personal trainer explained it to me like this... if you start a small fire and throw a huge log on it ( a big meal) then it will just smolder all day, but if you throw little bits of kindling on (smaller meals through out the day) then the fire will grow and get burning very fiercly (your metabolism after some time of doing this). if you are wanting to gain mass say you weigh 165 and you want to way 185, then just a rule of thumb is takin in as many grams of protein as you wanna weigh. so that would be 185gs a day. for breakfast i usually eat 3 eggs with yellows, and 2 egg whites, with ham or steak (the fat i need), then i will have whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter on it, and 16 oz of water, 8oz of 2% milk and 8oz of oj. then a few hours later i will have a protein shake (around 30g) and then a peice of fruit. for lunch ill have a lean meat like turkey or chicken on wheat breadwith a small amount of real mayonase or mustard. with that ill have 16oz of water, some vegtables, and some fruit. a few hours after that ill have a can of tuna or 2 peices of wheat bread with nat pb on them.. then for dinner fish, chicken, or bison ( i love bison ). with a salad, some pasta with real butter and parmesean cheese, and then 16oz of water and 8oz of milk. after my meal settles is when id hit the gym, and then after that id have a protein shake again, and then usually id eat a handful of nuts and a glass of milk before bed. that was at the top of my training, it works out to be around 4700 calories. i wouldnt recomend this right of the bat, but once your metabolism gets cranking keep workin your way up. notice that every meal focused on protein... eatin this diet and working out 3 days a week (all agility for mx, little to no weight training) i was gaining 3-5 lbs a week. Notice there is alot of fats in that meal plan, im young and i need those to keep in muscle building range. One more note, your are better off to eat sugar then you are splenda or aspartame. you are better off to eat real butter then you are to eat a fake butter... dont cut any corners, eat all organic everything, and dont eat anything fake. now i let my fingers rest...

Thats why i havnt changed my diet too much, ive always been in good shape but lately i have put a bit of a belly on between my job and diet. That is the only place where i seem to put weight on and its not much - jean size still the same, but i know when i start training i will burn that off and without fuel to feed my body it will just start eating muscle....I have a habit of not eating all day then gorging myself in the evening so i know that has to stop!

Cheers........

JRP
01-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by dingocatcher
Started the HIIT today and it sure is tough!! did 6 sets of 30sec sprints then 30sec jog with 5min warm up and cool down.

Doesnt sound a great deal but if your not in shape try it and u'll understand. The good part - you cant give yourself the excuse of got no time today as 20mins or so will cover it at the moment..

Thanks guys think this will suit me well, if it doesnt kill me 1st!

Now wheres the oxygen..........;)

Ps - not changing the diet a great deal just eating breakfast for a change and cutting down the portions with no between meal snacks

Cheers

Sounds great man! HIIT training is hard for anyone, it shouldn't be easy, even for the most fit person int he world, always room for improvement! Just no matter what you do, keep at it and give it 110% all the time. Im going to be using HIIT training 3x a week when i am cutting for my show. About 12 weeks out i will mix it up with HIIT and LISS

Yippie-Ki-Yay
01-04-2009, 09:33 AM
2 years ago i was starting to get chunky, so i started drinking water and running before school, 2 years later im running almost 2 miles before school, and feeling great.

Lehr 110
01-04-2009, 11:03 AM
lots of water and mountain bike if you cant ride..best cross training

JRP
01-04-2009, 11:17 AM
yea randy is right, mountain biking is great but still dosen't touch rowing. Rowing is THE BEST for mx. Great lower and upper body workout, builds muscular endurance and cardiovascular(aneriobic or aerobic)

dingocatcher
01-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I wont be staying with the running for long cause i know its too hard on the joints. Mountain biking is good too i know but its hard to get the constant resistance with free wheeling etc. Id say i will buy a rowing machine as i actually enjoy rowing a lot so thats the way i will be going, with a bit of light weights thrown in for good measure.

The mate thats doing the UFC traning also mentioned kettlebell training he says it frees you up a lot, im gonna try and get to the gym with him this week if possible to see them

Cheers again....

JRP
01-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I mean kettlebells are okay but hard to really relate that to mx racing lol. Ive never done it before, but i know yuo got to get the technique down before you even try it, they will kick you butt

01-04-2009, 10:04 PM
I need an arm pump cure. I was racing and after the others quit they were worn out I went another lap and then since theres no one to race or battle whats the point. But my forearms were buldging and seriously so hard it was like a quad tire with 20PSI. If you pushed with your finger it didnt do down at all it was nuts. I had to wait like 5 minutes before i could ride back to the truck to get some water I just kept drinking water and trying to stretch or massae my muscle it took some time to go down. I need a cure for arm pump though and working out my forearms doesnt seem to be enough

Warnerade
01-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I need an arm pump cure.

beat off

Warnerade
01-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by JRP
Diets are simple. No sodas, beer, any alcohol. Stay away from anything you think is bad for you. Chips, cookies, anything high in sugar. Eat lots of meat, veggies(good carbs and fiber to keep you full), fruits(good natural sugars n sweets), natural pb(in moderation), anything whole grain/wheat is good also. Whole grain breads instead of white. No bagels, english muffins, butter, all the good stuff, take out lol. If you drink milk go for skim and get some Whey Protein to mix it with(usually atleast 20g in each scoop). Try to get fat free stuff, meats, veggies. Eat 5-8x a day. Have a breakfast, lunch, dinner, then atleast a meal inbetween and something before bed. Nothing real big but just something to feed your body. If you need any help, PM me. Thanks I've taught you so well my son =)

One thing I havent seen mentioned here, are your healthy fats....get your omegas people! Probably the more important thing in a diet when it comes down to it.

JRP
01-05-2009, 08:14 AM
I need an arm pump cure. I was racing and after the others quit they were worn out I went another lap and then since theres no one to race or battle whats the point. But my forearms were buldging and seriously so hard it was like a quad tire with 20PSI. If you pushed with your finger it didnt do down at all it was nuts. I had to wait like 5 minutes before i could ride back to the truck to get some water I just kept drinking water and trying to stretch or massae my muscle it took some time to go down. I need a cure for arm pump though and working out my forearms doesnt seem to be enough

You have 2 options: And i suggest you doing both......

Practice breathing, and cardio. You can do both at the same time too! Get on a bike, a treadmill, a rower, elliptical, and just go hard and practice getting a steady breathing technique!

LTRracer4
01-05-2009, 11:11 AM
can you guys post a picture of the rowing machine you use? our local YMCA has one, but i used it for an hour and a half on the hardest resistance and didnt break a sweat?? im goin to buy one, but i just want to make sure i get one that will acctually do something.

01-05-2009, 11:28 AM
when your legs are fully extended you have to keep pulling the bar to your chest. If your doing that on the hardest setting and dont break a sweat your superman lol And i'm getting arm pump from not breathing right? I heard holding on tight can cause it but if I didnt hold on tght i'd be hurting more than my arms i'd be flipping off the quad. Would a steering stabilizer help this?

LTRracer4
01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
i race mx and the only time i lock onto the bars in in rough sections and in whoops... over jumps. smooth sections and corners my hands are very loose. Its like anything else racing, when to loosen up becomes instinct. When your in a moto and you start pumping up pay atention to the sections that you loosen up in, if your battling with someone, or slamming into a corner full of braking bumps your body will know to tighten up.

and i was pulling the bar to my chest, it was on 10 (as high as it would go) and it was a nice one, with the fan that blows on you and stuff. i dk, it bored me and i am by no means superman.

300ex_#387
01-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
beat off

BAHAHAHAHA

I sure do hate to switch hit, but in that case I can make an acception.

JRP
01-05-2009, 09:48 PM
when your legs are fully extended you have to keep pulling the bar to your chest. If your doing that on the hardest setting and dont break a sweat your superman lol And i'm getting arm pump from not breathing right? I heard holding on tight can cause it but if I didnt hold on tght i'd be hurting more than my arms i'd be flipping off the quad. Would a steering stabilizer help this?

Yes holding onto the bars to tight can affect getting arm pump also, only way to fix that is for you to loosen your grip, grip more with your knees. And a steering stabilizer would deffinitely help, like tonnns!

And LTRracer4: You need to learn the proper technique before you start rowing. Youtube it and learn, even if you think you have the technique, still look at it! Now try this.... 500m race, 1min 15sec, daaaaamn!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/glAua4DrslM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/glAua4DrslM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

KingpinsEx
01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by JRP
You have 2 options: And i suggest you doing both......

Practice breathing, and cardio. You can do both at the same time too! Get on a bike, a treadmill, a rower, elliptical, and just go hard and practice getting a steady breathing technique!

How is biking, treadmill, cardo work going to help with arm pump? It's not a cardio problem its a muscel weakness problem in that case. One thing that many people overlook that is crucial is stretching your forarms before and after riding. Just pull your fingers back with your other hand, arm your stretching fully extended and hold for a few seconds. Also high rep wrist curls will go along ways in strengthening the muscels. Just simply riding too, make sure you are getting out and riding as much as possible pre-season and try not to over due it at the beginning. Start out small, 2-3 10min motos and build your way up to half hour straight or so. Just riding alot is going to get your arms used to those stresses and allow you to go longer. And YES if you are going to ride mx or anything for that matter buy a steering stabilizer, it will help with arm pump, best mod you can do!

KingpinsEx
01-06-2009, 10:23 AM
As for the diet, alot of good stuff said in here, follow much of that and you should be good. Biggest thing though, keep it simple and stick with it. Like someone said your not training for the pro-nationals so you don't have to torture yourself. Just keep it in moderation, espically the sweets, drink lots of water and eat something every four hour. Keeps your metabolizim revved up and burning calories.

Eat the first thing when you get up in the morning and stick with the four hour thing till bed. The "don't eat anything after 10" philosophy is BS just try to eat as healthy as you can. If your going to indulge just don't over due it. It's not so much what you eat, but how you eat. A beer or two a day is actually good for you! That is for those of you who are legal! :p

bwamos
01-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Many folks have already said it. But the #1 thing you can do to promote weightloss and plain feel better is to ditch the Soda. Especially Diet Sodas.

Ditch the soda first. Doing this alone will make a HUGE difference.

Then simply eat a well balanced diet making sure you're getting your two types of omegas, and staying away from over processed foods. The closer to fresh the better.

Lean meats, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, nuts (walnuts, almonds, etc.. great source of Omega's), berries, etc.. etc... common sense stuff really. No need to overcomplicate it.

<DRS>GPF
01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Warnerade
beat off

but theres the potential for one arm being much stronger, which could make you tend to ride in circles, which could lead to NASCAR for a potential occupation. :p

JRP
01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by KingpinsEx
How is biking, treadmill, cardo work going to help with arm pump? It's not a cardio problem its a muscel weakness problem in that case. One thing that many people overlook that is crucial is stretching your forarms before and after riding. Just pull your fingers back with your other hand, arm your stretching fully extended and hold for a few seconds. Also high rep wrist curls will go along ways in strengthening the muscels. Just simply riding too, make sure you are getting out and riding as much as possible pre-season and try not to over due it at the beginning. Start out small, 2-3 10min motos and build your way up to half hour straight or so. Just riding alot is going to get your arms used to those stresses and allow you to go longer. And YES if you are going to ride mx or anything for that matter buy a steering stabilizer, it will help with arm pump, best mod you can do!

Arm pump CAN be caused my lack of breathing.... If your cardio is bad, and you cannot breathe(will get winded and breathing will go to chit), that will cause lactic buildup in your forearms(which is what causes arm pump). Stretchin forearms is good also, but dosen't always work. Build up your back also, that will help keep you upright on the quad and not having a death grip holding on.

01-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by JRP
Arm pump CAN be caused my lack of breathing.... If your cardio is bad, and you cannot breathe(will get winded and breathing will go to chit), that will cause lactic buildup in your forearms(which is what causes arm pump). Stretchin forearms is good also, but dosen't always work. Build up your back also, that will help keep you upright on the quad and not having a death grip holding on.

I have good cardio I mean I was running 7 miles a day non stop in the summer heat. I dont get winded from riding unless its real crazy dodging trees and near misses then i get pumped up like focus mode lol. Even then its not like i cant breath i'm just breathing heavier and my heart rate is going up probally from adrenalin. I am hunched over the bars because I need higher bars so I can be upright.

dingocatcher
01-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I used to suffer from arm pump badly when i raced yrs ago and still do when im riding flat out and tense... a mate and i spent a full winter training in the gym mostly on weights and at the start of a season we where twice as bad!! The more bulk muscle you have the more there is to pump - so is the reasoning behind light weights, high reps and making sure you get the air into your lungs to clean up the blood ie CARDIO...

As i always found a very hard pratice helped the arm pump a lot, so combined with a good warm up before pratice and race it should help. Also i found squeezing a soft ball while watching tv or relaxing helped pump the arm too

Just my 3cents worth.....

01-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by dingocatcher
Also i found squeezing a soft ball while watching tv or relaxing helped pump the arm too

i have a stress ball so i'll try that out

mx428
01-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Basically just eat good foods, eat smaller portions, and eat more meals.

Theres a huge science to it that I don't even understand well enough to explain but eat a good breakfast, pack yourself a good lunch for work, eat half of it, go back to work, eat the rest 2 or 3 hours later, and then eat a small dinner early. I do understand the science and would be willing to explain it if anyone is genuinely interested.

mx428
01-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by JRP
Arm pump CAN be caused my lack of breathing.... If your cardio is bad, and you cannot breathe(will get winded and breathing will go to chit), that will cause lactic buildup in your forearms(which is what causes arm pump). Stretchin forearms is good also, but dosen't always work. Build up your back also, that will help keep you upright on the quad and not having a death grip holding on. Lactic acid has nothing to do with arm pump. Lactic acid doesn't even really occur naturally in our bodies for any significant time... lactic acid instantaneously breaks down into lactate and H+. Lactic acid doesn't even cause "the burn", thats entirely from H+.

dingocatcher
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by mx428
I do understand the science and would be willing to explain it if anyone is genuinely interested.

I think a lot would be genuinely intrested, i personally am cause the more solid information i have the more encouragment i get to stick to a training program and diet

Cheers

KingpinsEx
01-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I understand the science as well and cardio can have an impact on everything to do with riding, BUT does not directly effect arm pump. You could put a world class marathoner, who has better cardio than anyone on the planet on a quad and I guarantee they will be suffering arm pump within 10min of wide open riding...

LTRracer4
01-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I have good cardio I mean I was running 7 miles a day non stop in the summer heat. I dont get winded from riding unless its real crazy dodging trees and near misses then i get pumped up like focus mode lol. Even then its not like i cant breath i'm just breathing heavier and my heart rate is going up probally from adrenalin. I am hunched over the bars because I need higher bars so I can be upright.

i rode trails and pits for years, i rode hard, even raced a few hair scrambles. i had NO idea what arm pump, or being completely dead on a quad was like untill i started to race mx. Go to an mx track and put out 5-6 hard laps as fast as you can, dont let your self stop no matter how tired you are untill the 5-6 laps is up. then you will know tired.

01-06-2009, 08:07 PM
i rode trails and pits for years, i rode hard, even raced a few hair scrambles. i had NO idea what arm pump, or being completely dead on a quad was like untill i started to race mx. Go to an mx track and put out 5-6 hard laps as fast as you can, dont let your self stop no matter how tired you are untill the 5-6 laps is up. then you will know tired.

i ride/race like i'm on a MX track whoops, jumps and turns. basically natural MX tracks, not the smoothest thing

Warnerade
01-07-2009, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by KingpinsEx
I understand the science as well and cardio can have an impact on everything to do with riding, BUT does not directly effect arm pump. You could put a world class marathoner, who has better cardio than anyone on the planet on a quad and I guarantee they will be suffering arm pump within 10min of wide open riding... bingo

train your muscles people....build your endurance, and stay away from any training supplement that has nitric oxide in it.

Theres absolutely no point in getting down to a science as there is literally way to much to just post on a forum. Anyone who knows the science could go on for days about it.

Eat clean, eat smart, and eat small amount more frequent. Take a good multi-vitamin, and excercise...you'll be good to go.

mxpimp2000
01-09-2009, 01:19 AM
any advice to loosing weight alone? lets say im 6'0 tall weight 250lbs i race mx and alot of it at that, this season i want to make the biggest improvement in my part which is gettin down to where i should be for my height, i ride A class and podium every race and i feel that if i can lose majority of my body fat i could be 10x faster than iam now, my biggest problem is gettin wore out after 2-3 wide open laps im ready to pass out and end up loosing my 1st or 2nd place position,my season starts in april i got around 3 months to get this!!

KingpinsEx
01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
The 6 meals a day is important, my personal trainer explained it to me like this... if you start a small fire and throw a huge log on it ( a big meal) then it will just smolder all day, but if you throw little bits of kindling on (smaller meals through out the day) then the fire will grow and get burning very fiercly (your metabolism after some time of doing this).

This is an excellent explaination on how to lose weight. Doing that alone will shred some weight, but if you really want to lose alot you need to couple that with cardio training/weight. The best way to do so is not to overdue it espically when your just starting out. I like to train cardio, run, bike, swim, anything to get your heart rate up and keep it up, 3-4 days a week. It's good to due it early in the morning after a light breakfast to get your metabolism up and start burning calories which will continue all day.

Then its good to resistance train on your off days from cardio, taking anywhere from 1-3 days off from everything durning the week so you don't overtain, just space them out. Resistance training doesn't have to be hitting the gym/weights, pushups, dips, crunches, pullups, ect all have the same effect. Train what you will be using the most, mx would be forearms, shoulders, chest, back (espically lower back). I like to train one to two muscel groups a day and really isolate and work them hard. Opposed to training them all at once, but not as hard. At least at first too build up strength, then when season comes around circuit training all your muscels at the same time is fine to just maintain your strength.

Now here is the key, yes resistance training is going to make you stronger and be able to ride longer. BUT, it will also help you lose wieght not only from the workout alone, but muscel burns calories much more efficently than fat which stores them. So even if you just lift for a while and put on a decent amount of muscel you will lose weight on that alone, because the more muscel you have the more calories you will burn. So you combine those three thing's and you will almost certain lose what you want in 3 months if you stick with it!

snacob14
01-09-2009, 11:24 AM
i ride/race like i'm on a MX track whoops, jumps and turns. basically natural MX tracks, not the smoothest thing

riding like you are racing and racing are two totally different things