PDA

View Full Version : give me some imput on sand tires for my 300ex fronts...

QuadJunkies
12-18-2002, 12:26 AM
WEll ive seen alot on sand tires for the 400ex,but how about for the 300ex fronts? Should I go with Dune Tracker.shark fin..??? Any suggestions??? I think this will get me around a lil better at St. A's until I can upgrade..Thanks...;)

airheadedduner
12-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks

oh and Mohawks:p

Seriously I like them better then anyother and I have riddin several different fronts.

New-400ex_guy
12-18-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks Mohawks

oh and Mohawks:p

Seriously I like them better then anyother and I have riddin several different fronts.

what he said about 20 more times. there are super light compared to all the others and they make the handling night and day over stockers.

Str8Wicked
12-18-2002, 09:19 AM
I love my Mohawks...

QuadJunkies
12-18-2002, 10:00 AM
lmao.. i forgot all about the mohawks.. So handling wise, no difference like you have with the rears huh...I need to get a lil more out of my ride this next trip out.;) so tell me how it feels riding with them compared to the stock fronts?? I bet they slide better huh..

Str8Wicked
12-18-2002, 10:23 AM
Turn a lot better.... but still slides over the sand.... light weight also and look mean as ****...

QuadJunkies
12-18-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
Turn a lot better.... but still slides over the sand.... light weight also and look mean as ****... well then thats the ones for me:) oh, BTW~~ do i need to change sizing or do I go with stock size? didnt know if it makes much dif in the fronts or not

Str8Wicked
12-18-2002, 10:42 AM
I can't remember which size I went with. I believe in the front it doesn't matter but who knows.....

airheadedduner
12-18-2002, 11:02 AM
They slide better, turn better, steer lighter, they look better, and you will swear that the front of your bike is 50lbs lighter. We know you like to bust big air so you better get them mounted on beadlocks;)

I like the 21 inchers better. The 20s are okay but steering gets heavier and they tend to fall into and follow ruts more.

QuadJunkies
12-18-2002, 11:26 AM
They slide better, turn better, steer lighter, they look better, and you will swear that the front of your bike is 50lbs lighter. We know you like to bust big air so you better get them mounted on beadlocks;)

I like the 21 inchers better. The 20s are okay but steering gets heavier and they tend to fall into and follow ruts more. So you are saying, that the fronts you will feel more of the markings in the sand with the fronts?does it make controlling the quad easier or harder?So have you seen 21's on a 300ex?? just curious if it makes a dif with mine and the big boys ;)

Str8Wicked
12-18-2002, 01:21 PM
Well if you get the straight line ones (dune tracker I think) the quad will turn really sharp and every move of the bars. I heard the work good for heavy riders who would make the quad slide even with these tires... The Mohawks I have will make you turn a lot better but not be as sharp handling as the other type. You can handle the quad a lot better int he dunes with the Mohawks.. Instead of sliding and slipping around you can actually point and go where you want to.....

Still don't know if the bigger tires will help you... I know in the dunes it's usually smooth riding anyways... In Glamis I know if you ride towards the camps where all the tire grooves are already int he sand it can get really rough and tiring on you....

QuadJunkies
12-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
Well if you get the straight line ones (dune tracker I think) the quad will turn really sharp and every move of the bars. I heard the work good for heavy riders who would make the quad slide even with these tires... The Mohawks I have will make you turn a lot better but not be as sharp handling as the other type. You can handle the quad a lot better int he dunes with the Mohawks.. Instead of sliding and slipping around you can actually point and go where you want to.....

Still don't know if the bigger tires will help you... I know in the dunes it's usually smooth riding anyways... In Glamis I know if you ride towards the camps where all the tire grooves are already int he sand it can get really rough and tiring on you.... Thanks for all the info this helps me quite a bit, ill talk to a few more 300ex peeps about it too..;) good info..

airheadedduner
12-18-2002, 11:24 PM
With strait ribbed tires and 20in mohawks they tend to grab ruts and follow them and jerk the bars. They still steer easier. The 21in mohawks tend to just glide over everything. They handle awesome. You get much less feedback through the bars.

The only strait ribbed tire I ever liked where the STU Razor Backs. But they are very expensive.

QuadJunkies
12-19-2002, 07:04 AM
With strait ribbed tires and 20in mohawks they tend to grab ruts and follow them and jerk the bars. They still steer easier. The 21in mohawks tend to just glide over everything. They handle awesome. You get much less feedback through the bars.

The only strait ribbed tire I ever liked where the STU Razor Backs. But they are very expensive. when you say less feeback, can you explain a little more detailed please??;) I am going to be goin to an 18-20 inch rear tire, so im not really sure what to buy for the front, but if the smaller rides worse then im not sure then:confused: I saw the pic of the shark fins i think,, they looked very similar, is the weight the only dif in them..I appreciate you all ansering all my questions, im just not familiar with fronts..:)

airheadedduner
12-20-2002, 11:01 PM
What I mean by feedback is if you hit a bump with a shorter front tire then you will feel it more then if you had a taller front.

Back tires are a little different. What makes a back tire ruff is having a big wheel compared to the tire. If you have a 18inch rear tire with a 10 inch wheel you will feel it more then if you had a 20inch tire and a 10 wheel. It is because there is less space between your tire and wheel. The space between the tire and wheel helps cushion your ride. If you are getting 18 inch rears you should probly run a 8-9inch wheel. With 20inch tires you can get away with a larger wheel, like a 10incher.

QuadJunkies
12-20-2002, 11:27 PM
What I mean by feedback is if you hit a bump with a shorter front tire then you will feel it more then if you had a taller front.

Back tires are a little different. What makes a back tire ruff is having a big wheel compared to the tire. If you have a 18inch rear tire with a 10 inch wheel you will feel it more then if you had a 20inch tire and a 10 wheel. It is because there is less space between your tire and wheel. The space between the tire and wheel helps cushion your ride. If you are getting 18 inch rears you should probly run a 8-9inch wheel. With 20inch tires you can get away with a larger wheel, like a 10incher. ok.. i see what you mean now.. I just didnt know if I shold be going bigger than my stockers are..:) Now... since i have some good advice now maybe you can help me decide onanothr paddle..I think I know what I want already but have amy of you heard of the paddle called a "Exciter?" by skat trak? Its a new straight paddle and looked interesting.. Im thinking on going with 18's instead of 20's this year on my 300ex rears.. I want to give her more grunt ..betweenthis and the sprocket changed Im hoping for more out of her to get me by untl I can upgrade...any dif suggestions? Any thing on the "exciter" paddles???

airheadedduner
12-21-2002, 12:20 AM
I like 20 inchers for the rear because of ground clearence. Gear down for it if you do not feel you have enough power, maybe drop a tooth on the counter shaft.

I have not heard of the new Skat-Trak, can you post a pic??

QuadJunkies
12-21-2002, 12:29 AM
I like 20 inchers for the rear because of ground clearence. Gear down for it if you do not feel you have enough power, maybe drop a tooth on the counter shaft.

I have not heard of the new Skat-Trak, can you post a pic?? http://www.skat-trak.com/paddletire.html sorry, but i coindt find where that pic went, but it does look like its more for minis(Bling! idea for my mini..hehe) But right now i am geared down..did NO good... I am running 8 paddles right now thought maybe dropping a size and paddle might help..I do feel mine are too big..I hate to lose too much top end though... THink i should change my Rear sprocket a lil? maybe give me more overall gains for speed on dune climbs?? Jut an Idea, trying to make it run the best for my trip this summer...

QuadJunkies
12-21-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
http://www.skat-trak.com/paddletire.html sorry, but i coindt find where that pic went, but it does look like its more for minis(Bling! idea for my mini..hehe) But right now i am geared down..did NO good... I am running 8 paddles right now thought maybe dropping a size and paddle might help..I do feel mine are too big..I hate to lose too much top end though... THink i should change my Rear sprocket a lil? maybe give me more overall gains for speed on dune climbs?? Jut an Idea, trying to make it run the best for my trip this summer... heres a pic of the paddle i was talking about ...

QuadJunkies
12-21-2002, 12:34 AM
hahaha let me see if I can get any bigger

airheadedduner
12-21-2002, 12:34 AM
Have you considered skat-trak gliders?? we used them on blasters and they worked well withough bogging the motors down too much.

QuadJunkies
12-21-2002, 12:35 AM
hahaha let me see if I can get any bigger nope.. sorry...:p http://www.skat-trak.com/paddletire.html

QuadJunkies
12-21-2002, 12:37 AM
Have you considered skat-trak gliders?? we used them on blasters and they worked well withough bogging the motors down too much. Yes... thats what Im thinkin for me and the mini i have.. Else the hauler or the glider,there just isnt much out there in smaller sizes...:confused: :( Thanks for all your help, I cant wait for summer...:blah

New-400ex_guy
12-21-2002, 12:38 AM
those are for 90cc and smaller quads, get 7 paddle haulers or 6 paddle haulers.

airheadedduner
12-21-2002, 12:38 AM
hahaha let me see if I can get any bigger
Lmao,
I forgot to mention. Gliders are like hauler but with a shorter blade.

QuadJunkies
12-21-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by New-400ex_guy
those are for 90cc and smaller quads, get 7 paddle haulers or 6 paddle haulers. yup!;) may get for my mini when I ever figure out that darn pipe!:grr So..now another question...Since I run at St. A's..were talkin pretty knarly sutff to climb.. I will want a deeper cup on my paddle right??And less for the mini??

New-400ex_guy
12-21-2002, 12:44 AM
7 or 6 paddle hauler for your bike and

5 or 6 paddle gliders for the mini.

QuadJunkies
12-21-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by New-400ex_guy
7 or 6 paddle hauler for your bike and

5 or 6 paddle gliders for the mini. cool. Then my thoghts were right on track..Thanks again..:D ;) Then im getting the mohawks fronts, Haulers for the rears...

airheadedduner
12-21-2002, 12:50 AM
What paddles are you running now?? I think you said you had turbos before. I would consider 7 paddle gliders. Your EX should turn those over really well. The blaster we ran them on was piped and he could get up all but the steepest hills. What sucks is tires are expensive and if you don't like it you are screwed:(

QuadJunkies
12-21-2002, 12:54 AM
What paddles are you running now?? I think you said you had turbos before. I would consider 7 paddle gliders. Your EX should turn those over really well. The blaster we ran them on was piped and he could get up all but the steepest hills. What sucks is tires are expensive and if you don't like it you are screwed:( I REALLY loved my Turbos,but for my size of quad,they are not the best shoice,they do great on the 400ex:) yes, it has 8 paddles.Yes, it does get spendy i am now sellling Three sets of tires,not because i didnt like them but I want to try sometinhg different maybe something to help me climb a lil better to keep up with the big boys...:p

airheadedduner
12-21-2002, 01:02 AM
Maybe its time to move to a 400..........:D :D

QuadJunkies
12-21-2002, 10:30 AM
Maybe its time to move to a 400..........:D :D Yes.. I am more than ready...;)

airheadedduner
12-21-2002, 01:15 PM
LOL:p

I just went through my Rockey Mountian catalog and most sand front tires are at least 21 inches tall. Mohawks only come in 21 so if you went with thoose it would be all good.

Chef
12-21-2002, 01:30 PM
So..now another question...Since I run at St. A's..were talkin pretty knarly sutff to climb.. I will want a deeper cup on my paddle right??And less for the mini??

No, you dont want a deep cup on your 300. It would just make it harder to pull. The new style mohawks arent vulcanized, but they work just the same. These are the old style front mohawks.

Chef
12-21-2002, 01:40 PM
New style mohawks

New-400ex_guy
12-21-2002, 01:44 PM
yeah i have the old style too i dont know why they changed them, probly makes em cheaper too produce but there still the same price and i think the old style will perform better :huh :(

airheadedduner
12-21-2002, 08:29 PM
Alky is right. What you want is sand is wheelspin. Not to much though. Sand is kinda like water. To move forward you want to displace it. Think of your paddles as a boat propeler. The better you can spin it the better you will climb those big dunes that I really want to visit:p I really really want to downhill devil dune:cool:

QuadJunkies
12-22-2002, 10:57 AM
Alky is right. What you want is sand is wheelspin. Not to much though. Sand is kinda like water. To move forward you want to displace it. Think of your paddles as a boat propeler. The better you can spin it the better you will climb those big dunes that I really want to visit:p I really really want to downhill devil dune:cool: ok..well i sounds like either the gildre or hauler will work for me.. BTW~~ If your interested..were headined up July 11th for a big group ride if you wanna go:) Im dying to see who all makes it up choke cherry!:blah Im not even going to try..!!:p

Chef
12-22-2002, 12:02 PM
July 11th? I can probably make that if I dont have a race....:D

QuadJunkies
12-22-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Alky472
July 11th? I can probably make that if I dont have a race....:D cool:) The more the merrier..Theres gonna bea few others from the site here going too..:D

airheadedduner
12-23-2002, 10:13 AM
Hmmmmm if I can get off from work I will see if I could make it. If I can I will give you warning ahead of time. It would be cool to meet some of you:cool: