PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket pipe with stock silencer?

JIMFROMTEXCO
01-01-2009, 01:04 PM
with the new 89 i picked up having the stock exhaust i really like the quietness the silencer makes compared to my old 87'. i was wondering what everyone opinions are, about running a sparks pipe to the stock silencer.

id really like to keep this one quiet for night riding and my old retired neighbors.
is it a good idea or does the aftermarket pipe need a good free flowing silencer?

how quiet is the procircuit or fmf silent core?

mfr422
01-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Jim,
Congrats on thinking about your neighbors, Too many people just want more power and think a ridiculously loud exhaust is the way to get it. there is nothing wrong with a stock silencer and as you have already found out, it is quiet. Sound wise, there is nothing that will come close to it. The stockers blew about 83db on mine with a pt type 6. I run the fmf Q and it will test at 92-93 depending on how fresh the packing is. It is the quietest of the aftermarkets, look at how long it is. I'm sure your'e loosing a little power with the stocker but do you really need it for trailriding? quiet=stealth. If nobody hears you, you were never there,right?

As long as you are jetted right there are no ill effects to your combo, my advice is to keep running it. loud pipes=closed trails.
Roost on!!!

dynofox
01-03-2009, 02:24 PM
I use the stock silencer with a paul turner 89 trx race head pipe and the quad runs well in the trails. I'm sure I lost a little power by not using the turner silencer but the quad is definitely much quieter.

JIMFROMTEXCO
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
thanks for the input dyno fox. im gonna run mine like that as well.