PDA

View Full Version : 400ex exhaust

BassHunter0123
12-31-2008, 11:49 PM
got a stock 06 400ex thinking about getting a pipe. just looking for opinions on whats best to a small budget. what is the difference in perfomance for a slip slip on and a complete exhaust. and is jetting required for all pipes? thanks for any thoughts

rinaldi
01-01-2009, 07:29 AM
I was in the same boat with my 06 I just bought. I went the route of a Jardine slip on which Dennis Kirk is selling on Ebay for $85.00. Hard to beat a slip on for that price. Sounds great in my opinion. I am not promoting it and I really have little knowledge of pipes on ATV's since this is my first. But Jardine is a popular pipe for Honda bikes and I have one on my dirtbike.

rcatvrider
01-01-2009, 07:43 AM
I went the same route with the jardine from dennis kirk. Act quick because they told me they only have a couple left. IMO it sounds great and they was a definite improvement. Be sure to get a high flow air filter such as a uni, twin air, or k&n and rejet along with the pipe and you will be happy. The bike pulls alot harder now and can lug a higher gear without having to downshift. Here is a clip of my bike so you can hear the sound.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Otqk2nqOWLg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Otqk2nqOWLg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sprayedgt
01-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Yoshimura. I have the full RS3 carbon fiber system and really like it a lot. IMO I think it's the sweetest sounding exhaust out there for a 400. Nice power gain also.

rcatvrider
01-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by sprayedgt
Yoshimura. I have the full RS3 carbon fiber system and really like it a lot. IMO I think it's the sweetest sounding exhaust out there for a 400. Nice power gain also.
He's looking for a budget pipe. Yosh makes good pipes of course, but they are far from cheap.

3or4HONDA
01-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by sprayedgt

he said he wants a pipe on a small budget....

sprayedgt
01-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Sorry dude. I didn't see the small budget part of the post. It's like they say, you get what you pay for. There are some decent ones out there for less $$ but IMO the exhaust is not where you want to go cheap.

BassHunter0123
01-01-2009, 09:07 AM
i would love to have a yoshi but i think im leaning towards a HMF sport. ive heard good things about them. if i was to get a HMF sport and a k&n what rejetting would i need to do? also whats the difference if i would convert it to a clamp on k&N? is it worth is? thanks for any thoughts

rob_990
01-01-2009, 12:38 PM
get an hmf youll love it

rcatvrider
01-01-2009, 12:54 PM
If you have the money then go for it. For budget I thought you meant something like under $200. As for jetting a good starting point would probably be a 40 pilot and 155 main.

Mustangous
01-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
I went the same route with the jardine from dennis kirk. Act quick because they told me they only have a couple left. IMO it sounds great and they was a definite improvement. Be sure to get a high flow air filter such as a uni, twin air, or k&n and rejet along with the pipe and you will be happy. The bike pulls alot harder now and can lug a higher gear without having to downshift. Here is a clip of my bike so you can hear the sound.

Originally posted by rinaldi
I was in the same boat with my 06 I just bought. I went the route of a Jardine slip on which Dennis Kirk is selling on Ebay for $85.00. Hard to beat a slip on for that price. Sounds great in my opinion. I am not promoting it and I really have little knowledge of pipes on ATV's since this is my first. But Jardine is a popular pipe for Honda bikes and I have one on my dirtbike.
any links to this? i am looking for a pipe and $85 makes it a great deal. Sounds great too, thanks for the clip!

2muchquad
01-01-2009, 05:14 PM
It's like they say, you get what you pay for. There are some decent ones out there for less $$ but IMO the exhaust is not where you want to go cheap.

I digress.I just finished reading a dyno shoot out on pipes and believe it or not,just because a pipe costs more doesnt mean its gonna make more power than a cheaper one.Well some people dont mind paying more for titanium because of weight savings etc,but to each his own.Its funny they tested a tc racing exhaust and it made LESS horsepower than stock up top...go figure

rcatvrider
01-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Mustangous
any links to this? i am looking for a pipe and $85 makes it a great deal. Sounds great too, thanks for the clip!
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=trx400+jardine&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Here ya go, both have a day left so you're bound to get one for cheap.

Mustangous
01-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=trx400+jardine&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Here ya go, both have a day left so you're bound to get one for cheap.
you da man!!!!
I searched for 400ex :rolleyes:

Mustangous
01-04-2009, 10:22 AM
i think i screwed myself. I missed the auction. It ended before i could place a bid. I hope they relist it, but nothing yet.

cdubbzz
01-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Always check ebay first! HMF has an ebay store for their scratch-n-dent pipes + closeout crap. The store name is HMF Engineering Outlet.

A few weeks ago they had 3 scratched Sport slip-ons powder coated w/ Vector tip
and no reserve! I scored a black one for $152 with free shipping!

Ryan'07400ex
01-04-2009, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdubbzz
[B]Always check ebay first! HMF has an ebay store for their scratch-n-dent pipes + closeout crap. The store name is HMF Engineering Outlet.

That store name didn't work for me

sprayedgt
01-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Try this one

http://search.stores.ebay.com/HMF-Engineering-Online-Outlet_hmf_W0QQsaselZ174826706QQsofpZ0