PDA

View Full Version : a-arm ball joint boots ?

rigger
12-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Any one know if you can get replacement boots for the ball joints on stock 250R a-arms? My ball joints are fine but the boots are shot.

I have looked on a couple of honda parts sights and they do not show the boot by it self.

I went to the auto parts stores today to see if they could match something up but they were already closed for new years.

morse250r
12-31-2008, 08:40 PM
buy an old set of arms or i have heard auto stores youll have to look through some catologs

rigger
12-31-2008, 09:31 PM
The problem I have seen with most old a-arms is that most of them have old torn boots too.

There has got to be something at an auto parts store that would work. At least I would think so. A simple replacement boot. The old boots pop right off. Seems like there would be something that could go on in it's place.

My other thought is this.....
Cut the stock ball joints off completely. Take a spindle and both upper and lower a-arm to an auto parts store, find ball joints or tie rod ends that will work. And bolt them on in place of the original ones. If you had a tie rod ball joint with a fairly long bolt end on it, two nuts, then you should be able to run it through the tube on the arm and use the nuts for adjustment.

Just a thought anyway. What do you think?

Or save up some money and buy some aftermarket a-arms.

morse250r
01-01-2009, 05:13 AM
400ex 450r boors from those a arms will work as well 400ex arms are cheap used or even new if you had to

rigger
01-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Well went to the auto parts store and the best I could find was a generic boot. It does fit but there is no way for it to seal really good at the top. It would hold in a decent amount of grease but I don't think it would work for long. I don't think it would do a good job at all of keeping water out either.

So, on to the next idea........

mineralgrey01gt
01-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I think I heard old VW bug boots work, actually im very sure I heard that

rigger
01-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Well I looked those up on line and they look just like what I got from the store today.

I guess if I installed a zerk fitting in the top of the ball joint, then I could use the ones I have. I would just have to pump them up with grease to keep out the water and dirt.

I don't know how well a zerk would hold up on the bottom one though. I would think it would get broken off pretty quick.

Not trying it sound cheap on this subject, but this is going to be a long term rebuild project of mine. Mostly due to lack of funds. I want to rebuild this 250R right, but I do not have the money to go out and buy nice a-arms for it like I would like to do. It has good stock arms now and the ball joints are in great shape, just the boots are shot.

I am going to be building it back up as a fun trail ride so having it wide is not high up on my list of things to do to her.

If anybody had a part number of a boot that would seal up the joint good, that would be great.

Langbolt
01-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Years ago I bought these:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/Energy-Suspension-Universal-Dust-Boots.asp

They work!

:D

morse250r
01-02-2009, 03:10 AM
looks pretty good

rigger
01-02-2009, 06:57 AM
have you had any problems with dirt and water getting into the ball joint?

That is the same type of boot I got the other day. I could just pack them full of grease and put them on but I was thinking I would need to install a zerk to keep it fresh and the dirt out.

If you have had no problems then I may not bother with installing zerks.

rigger
01-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Well I installed a zerk in the top of one ball joint. Easy to install but when you try to pump grease into it, the grease won't pass through the joint and come out the other side like I thought it would. I never would have thought that would have happened. I guess that socket is made pretty darn tight not to let the grease pass by it.

Oh well, on to the next idea.