PDA

View Full Version : Frame repair question

polfan73
12-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and I have question for anyone who can help.

I bought a Polaris Outlaw 525S last fall to race XC/harescrambles with, while dodging trees a couple months ago I had a nasty little get off and bent the frame just behind the lower rear A arm mounts. the whole front end is tweaked to the right about an inch. Anyway here's my question....... Is this repairable? And if I can get it fixed is it even worth doing? Or would I be better off just getting a new frame? In 25+ years of ATVing I have never had this happen so I have no experience with this.

Any help I can get with this will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

400exrider707
12-31-2008, 10:59 AM
If it was me, I'd try fixing it as best as possible and gusset it. If you want to fix it, definitely add some gussets. The frame is now weaker than original and will NEVER be as strong as it once was. The metal has already yielded. Anything you do now will just further weaken it, so definitely add gussets. Frames are expensive so it wont hurt anything to try and fix it. If it doesn't work, then go ahead and get a new one, nothing lost.

Pappy
12-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Call a couple local body shops with frame machines. I know of several folks that had this issue and with a few calls they had someone willing to help.

Ive also seen them done in the back yard...it depends on how mechanically inclined you are:p

polfan73
12-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I have a couple months before racing season to get something done. At least I have a good excuse to give the wife for spending so much extra time in the garage!