PDA

View Full Version : Help with shock bracket

airmobile101
12-31-2008, 02:53 AM
Do they(anyone) make a shock bracket that lowers the current shock bracket location? My shocks are short about 1"-2" short depending how you postion them. Or is there something I could add to the top of the current a-arm mount? Im trying to run +3 metrakit a-arms with Fox Float MXR shocks.

raidernut
12-31-2008, 10:59 AM
thats probably not a good idea, as a arms are made for a specific length shock, and if you shorten that, you will most likely run into alot of other problems, such as shock bottoming out, or frame hitting ground prior to shock bottoming etc. Its best to get the length of shock that is designed for those arms, or vice versa. You will be much happier in the long run.

airmobile101
12-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by raidernut
thats probably not a good idea, as a arms are made for a specific length shock, and if you shorten that, you will most likely run into alot of other problems, such as shock bottoming out, or frame hitting ground prior to shock bottoming etc. Its best to get the length of shock that is designed for those arms, or vice versa. You will be much happier in the long run.
Oh, I agree totally,but the problem with that is if I put longer shocks on with more stroke,Im then gonna have the issue of the a-arm smacking the frame support(when its compressed). Its really hard to explain, I just wish I had my digital camera here to take a pic to show you exactly what Im talking about. The shocks do mount up, I just don't like the angle that they are set at. It looks like it binds. I wouldn't mind if I could extend the shock mount out more or lower it.

ww228king
12-31-2008, 02:01 PM
i think i know what you are talking about... KYMCO frame... I used KB +3+2 a-arms and on ebay they stated that they woudl work with 10.5 shocks..... well, they were wrong and they needed 12" shocks... so i just made something to work... made a peice to bolt to on the frame shock mount... i should have pics on the KYMCO thread... it was the (broke dad get the kid to track) thing to do... it was suppose to be temporary, but it stayed together for a few months then it stayed there for good...lol
yeah you need a camera!

airmobile101
12-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by ww228king
i think i know what you are talking about... KYMCO frame... I used KB +3+2 a-arms and on ebay they stated that they woudl work with 10.5 shocks..... well, they were wrong and they needed 12" shocks... so i just made something to work... made a peice to bolt to on the frame shock mount... i should have pics on the KYMCO thread... it was the (broke dad get the kid to track) thing to do... it was suppose to be temporary, but it stayed together for a few months then it stayed there for good...lol
yeah you need a camera!
lol, yea , Im with you on the broke dad thing. You are correct with your above statement with Kymco. I have a camera,but the wife had left it at her sisters during Christmas eve. Im moreless just might fab something up.

jetta75
01-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Before all the aluminum lowering blocks they have out now there used to be lowering brackets the bolted onto the stock shock mounts then shocks to new holes. They were 2 pieces of metal one clamped onto the front and one on the back of the stock shock mounts. Then a spacer in each stock shock mount to keep from crushing. It would be more or less like a lift kit for a independent front end 4x4 truck. You could make one of 1/4 wood or sheet metal or something as a templete that would hold weight then cut the thing out of steel.

airmobile101
01-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by jetta75
Before all the aluminum lowering blocks they have out now there used to be lowering brackets the bolted onto the stock shock mounts then shocks to new holes. They were 2 pieces of metal one clamped onto the front and one on the back of the stock shock mounts. Then a spacer in each stock shock mount to keep from crushing. It would be more or less like a lift kit for a independent front end 4x4 truck. You could make one of 1/4 wood or sheet metal or something as a templete that would hold weight then cut the thing out of steel.
It got the brackets today from Lowes. I found a nifty L- shape bracket that will be perfect along with some U clamps/bolts.