PDA

View Full Version : blue smoke?

honda400ex01aca
12-30-2008, 07:20 PM
when i start my ex blue smoke shoots out of the pipe then stops afta i rev it up once or twice. would that mean i need new rings?

low70c10
12-30-2008, 07:25 PM
if it only does it when it first starts up after sitting it might be the valve seals.

12-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Mine does the same, it had new rings about 8-10 hours ago.

Its defo the valve seal but it won't harm to leave them.

drillteamleader
12-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Yes it will, in a way. Anytime you are burning oil, there is a deposite in the cylinder, head, and exhaust that builds up over time. Also, when you are buning oil, you are probably getting some detonation, because oil burns very hot. So it's up to you, spend $25 on some valve seals, or not. It's you're engine

metalmind342
12-31-2008, 04:51 PM
i just did valve seals on mine earlier this week actually. It is a very simple job. But unfortunatley for me i dropped a valve keeper down the timing chain:ermm: so i had to pull the clutch cover to find it. All is well now but its just something to keep in mind to watch out for those valve keepers. They can get away from you.

I rented a valve spring compressor from the local autozone and it was complete junk. Luckily a friend of mine had a nice one he let me borrow. So i guess what im trying to say is to try to find one from a friend or buy a craftsmen one before renting a ****ty one, its not worth your time and aggravation.