PDA

View Full Version : timing chain???

drillteamleader
12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
I have a knocking sound. It sounds just like the video someone took of their timing chain, but mine does it all the time, even if I rev it up. It is always the same, doesn't get louder when I let off the gas. I thought it was the valves, so I adjusted them, and it still does it. What could it be if not the chain?

jeepthing07
12-30-2008, 06:25 PM
wrist pin 400ex's are known for that

drillteamleader
12-31-2008, 09:49 AM
I used my stethescope to listen to the knock. It is coming from the crankshaft erea, not the cylinder. This leads me to beleave that it is either the chain or maybe a bad crank or rod bearing, but I am pretty sure it's the chain. So I ordered an 11:1 wiseco piston, head gasket, clutch cover gasket, oil filter, and an 03 cr450f timing chain. I'll have to check the slides and tensioner when I get it apart.

drillteamleader
01-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Bad news today. I changed the timing chain and piston, and it is still knocking. I checked the small end of the rod for claerance and it was about .0008, give or take a tenth. So I thought it might be a bad tensioner, so I took the phillups head out and turned the flathead to loosen it up and I heard a different noise, so I tightened it up. I hate to do it, but I think I'm going to sell my suspension to my buddy and trade it in.

drillteamleader
01-11-2009, 03:34 PM
any idea how much it cost's to replace the crank bearings?