PDA

View Full Version : Car motor ticking noise

quads14589
12-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Im looking at this 84 cutlass with the 307 that has some stuff done to it for performace and went to go look at it and the motor ticks, the guy claims he just got it rebuilt and put on a brand new holly 4 barrel which looks like it to me because no rust on any bolts or anything on the whole motor, and the motor ticks a little and when u rev it gets a little louder but not too bad, i was reading up online it says could be a build up of carbon, might need more thicker oil or could be a spun bearing?? i dont know what to do because he would sell me the car really cheap.

sly400ex
12-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Sounds like a sticking lifter if anything. I've had several 307's, they are solid engines. Can you bring it to a reputable mechanic to check it out? It really shouldn't be that hard to diagnose for someone with a trained ear.

quads14589
12-30-2008, 04:58 PM
well if i buy it i would becasue the price i can get it for if its a spun bearing which i hope it isnt then i can part the car out for more than id buy it for/

Quad18star
12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Could be a lifter

Mxjunkie
12-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Could be a lifter

I'd say this is your best bet, mine ticks too like you said in your first post.. I'm not going to say I baby mine because I'm usually screaming 4500 on a backroad lol.. I've had it to ocean city md and back, drove up state with it and it's kept on trucking and ticking along.. It's a small block, they all have some sort of noise they make. I almost want to say the harley davidsion Vtwin is in the brother hood of noises as the small blocks.. territory marking where ever they sit and weird noises while in use. American made ha, they work though.. lol

Take the motor to about 1500 rpm, as it's sitting there in tune listen around your valve covers, when you hear the noise and see where it's coming from it will give you a basic idea of where to start pin-pointing. Mine is in the far right side and it's about as loud as something taking a pen and lightly tapping it on a table.

scuzz
12-31-2008, 02:55 PM
^^^^^

I agree

Rich250RRacer
12-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Might not be a lifter. Oldsmobile V8's are known to tick when a rocker arm bridge breaks. It's very common.

scuzz
12-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
Might not be a lifter. Oldsmobile V8's are known to tick when a rocker arm bridge breaks. It's very common.

But I thought that was for the Oldsmobile-made blocks, not the SBC adapted blocks.

Mxjunkie
12-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer

Yeah.. Specially when they converted the few dozen to diesels.. Talk about some odd noises lol.. :o :p

Rich250RRacer
12-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
But I thought that was for the Oldsmobile-made blocks, not the SBC adapted blocks.

What exactly do you mean SBC adapted blocks? Heads DO NOT interchange between a 305 Chevy and a 307 Olds. All Olds V8's use rocker arm bridges.

scuzz
12-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Yeah.. Specially when they converted the few dozen to diesels.. Talk about some odd noises lol.. :o :p

Yeah those were epic failures. Sounded like a box of hammers in the dryer.