PDA

View Full Version : 2003 400ex timing

gizmo347
12-30-2008, 12:56 PM
I have a 2003 400ex i removed the head to adjust the valves. I set the timing mark on top dead center and the motor will only start if i adjust the valves on the exhaust side , but runs really rough .I reset the cam thinking i had the timing out 360 out . This did not work and if you rotate the flywheel to get top dead center on compression stroke and adjust the valves the exhaust valves are to tight .Can anyone help :confused: :confused:

Thanks Rick

John451
12-30-2008, 04:06 PM
loosn the exhaust valves? nah i'd say if you took the cam sprocket off you may have mounted it back on the wrong way as to move the sprocket away from the cam 1/3 rotation on the other bolt.. Usually they make it so you cant do that but im not sure about the 400's.

BERT306
12-30-2008, 08:11 PM
If u have the crank mark lined up on TDC but the rockers are tight then u must be on the exhaust stroke, not the compression stroke.
Rotate the motor over again till u see the mark again.... make sure u rotate COUNTER CLOCKWISE!!! so u don't engage the decompressor system, its a one way deal.
If u have been rotating the motor clockwise and then adjusting things then u got a long ways to go my friend. :(

and u said u removed the head to adjust valves?:eek: U also took the chain off the cam and rotated it 360? that didn't do anything but get u right back where u started.

CSR400EX
12-30-2008, 09:59 PM
sounds like your decompression mechanism isnt working right. is it the right exhaust valve that you loosen to get it to run???

BERT306
12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
U could also have it lined up on the wrong crank mark. there is two kinda close to eachother. the one w the T next to it is the one u need