PDA

View Full Version : Carb trouble shooting

CHAR250R
12-30-2008, 11:58 AM
I'll start from the begining:

1886 Honda 350X. Given to me by a close friend. Sat for a few years. Fuel is bad.

I pulled the tank off (plastic) and drained it. Put fresh fuel in it.
I pulled off the carb, disassembled it, cleaned it, and reassembled it. Some varnish, not too bad. No corrosion.

Started up on the first kick, and ran OK. After it warms up, the RPM's rise and fall. It stalls sometimes, but actually runs good when you ride it. I think something may still be plugged up, but I'm not sure what passageway or jet causes the idle issue.

So, all you carb guys feel free to school me a little. I'm not a genious when it comes to carburation, but I'm not a dummy either. Thanks! :D

soyo
12-30-2008, 02:32 PM
my guess would be the pilot is still stopped up. its the little jet in front of the bigger main jet in the bowl. hope this helps. somtimes if they sit that long you might have to take a needle or a torch tip cleaner and run it in there just to free up the gunk!

CHAR250R
12-30-2008, 07:14 PM
The small jet in front of the main jet is called the slow jet. The pilot jet you might be thinking of is actually a screw outside the fuel bowl. It's adjustable. I had all the jets out. I soaked them in carb clean, and looked at them with a magnifiing glass. They looked fine. I think the passage in the carb might be blocked. The trouble shooting goes on...

tater_kamik
12-31-2008, 12:31 PM
had somewhat the same prob with a crf230. everytime i pulled off the carb more junk had made its way to the jets. i pulled out the petcock and the filter that surrounds the tubes was disintegrating so i cut that off, and soaked it in cleaner. while that was soaking i ran a mix of hot water and simple green in the tank a few times making sure i had cleaned it out really good. afterwards, i blew out both sides of the petcock with an air compressor. finally i replaced the fuel line and added an inline filter. of course i had already gone through the carb and cleaned like crazy with carb cleaned and an compressor. works quite well now.

CHAR250R
12-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Disassembled the petcock and filter bowl screen when I cleaned out the tank. The tank was spotless. The screen in the petcock had a few tiny pieces of junk in it. I'm gonna pull the carb off, and disassemble it again. I'll replace the jets just to be on the safe side. They're cheap. I'll clean all the passages really good this time.