PDA

View Full Version : Airbox Mods and performance

maconu
12-29-2008, 10:11 PM
I know there is stuff scattered through these posts about this but I haven't seen anything recently so....

What airbox mods are working the best?

pics would be a plus..

thanks!!!

TNT
12-30-2008, 09:35 AM
You can guess or speculate but without using a pressure gage and some flow checks you don't know what mod's will work. Drilling holes in your box or removing it can cause a lack of pressure due to turbulance. The intake is a divergent duct that is designed to decrease velocity and increase pressure before it enters the throttle body, only so much pressure can fit in the chamber and the box has been carefully designed to do just that. These big factories use CFD(Computation fluid dynamics) to design not guessing.....If you have a stock motor leave it alone. If you have a modded motor the mechanic that did the flow check should know what works and that will be very specific to the engine build and design.

joeyds450x
12-31-2008, 12:50 AM
this is on ebay

Mr. Big Time
01-01-2009, 02:34 AM
good price, on the protec website they wan t 80- 90$, or you caqn maked yuou r your own for a way cheaper price

joeyds450x
01-02-2009, 07:38 AM
heres a pic of the pro-tec

TNT
01-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Can someone tell me what I'm looking at? lol...What are these things. How and where do the fit on the air box?

joeyds450x
01-03-2009, 05:11 PM
its just like running without an airbox cover, you cut a hole in the cover and bolt that on, it just stops your airbox from getting full of dirt. im gonna order one because im sick of cleaning all the dirt outa my airbox after every ride

coryatver
01-03-2009, 05:14 PM
tnt1 you know all about air flow dynamics and pressure but you don't know that those pics are lids lol. Air flow dynamics?? they don't test air flow for top performance I wish they did. They design it so it is detuned to pass emissions. What you said sounds like some bull a dealer would say.

joeyds450x
01-03-2009, 11:34 PM
i thought the same thing lol when i was ansering it for him.. someone who knows so much and talks with such big words that most people dnt know cant tell what a airbox lid is...LOL

its ok tho i was happy to help him out

TNT
01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
That is pretty funny, it's the simple stuff I struggle with but my first thought is a cover just wanted to make sure before I said anything.....We never ran one of these now I thinking what will they think of next? :rolleyes: LOL!

I like protects better looks like it can take in more air. I was looking at our 09 seat design it has holes right over the cover to get air in......We didn't get a cover with our quad but there is a way to fasten one in with latches and tabs on the stock box....Were probably going with the DASA filter and intake it removes the box for a bigger filter....

But yes if I were keeping a stock box I'd go with one of these to keep the dirt out and especially sand if I were a dunner.

WesDS450X
01-04-2009, 12:11 PM
i only ride dunes im only running right now a stock civic 3' intake tube to my K&N filter with outterwares filter no airbox at all and theres no issue with sand getting in the filter at all just go slow threw water if you have to cross water, i usly shake out my outterwares after everyride but you dont have to