View Full Version : winch on sport quad

KDracing
12-29-2008, 09:03 PM
i do alot of back woods riding and have been stuck more than a few times, some of them made for an interesting recovery (winch would have definatly helped) was just wondering if anyone else has a winch on their 400ex or similar. how much do you guys think the extra weight will affect jumping and wheeling??? can my EX run this off the stock electrical system (i was told it may not have enough power)???

was looking at warn 1.5ci

http://www.jcwhitney.com/WARN-15CI-WINCHES/GP_2014662_N_111+10213+600018523_10113.jcw

mount

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200313454_200313454

2muchquad
12-29-2008, 09:07 PM
i have seen one on a 300 lakota before,its kinda like a mojave with auto clutch and racks.i think the weight may definately keep your front end from coming up on you.but do you really want a winch on a 400ex?man thats just not right:D

KDracing
12-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
.but do you really want a winch on a 400ex?man thats just not right:D

thats what i thought to until i saw this, 08400EX did an amazing job with the install. looks like it was ment to be there

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=328021&perpage=13&pagenumber=1

buck440
12-29-2008, 09:25 PM
may sound stupid but put some weights on the front end and that will give you an idea how it will perform, and i also would like to put one on mine but i can barely pay to keep it going cause of the rough conditions i ride too :macho

Brauap
12-29-2008, 09:39 PM
ooh god. here we go all f'ing over again.. :rolleyes: (KD you prolly don't know what I am talking about, but I made a thread on this and it turned to hell haha)

Personally, I think it is a great idea! Others, will just bash you. Ignore them. It'd really come in good use at times!

tri5ron
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
how about something like this, lighter weight, no power requirement, reliable, low cost...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95541

just a thought....

BamBam730
12-30-2008, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by KDracing
thats what i thought to until i saw this, 08400EX did an amazing job with the install. looks like it was ment to be there

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=328021&perpage=13&pagenumber=1

KDracing,
I never thought a winch would look good on a sport quad, but the guy who installed that winch on the 08 did a fantastic job. If you can do the same install behind the bumper and you have a need for a winch, go for it. Stop worrying what it will look like. That 08 looks great with the winch secreted behind the bumper.

rcatvrider
12-30-2008, 07:51 AM
If you feel the need for a winch, go for it. Who cares what people say. I know of plenty of situations where I would be more daring if I had a winch out on the muddy trails around here.

2muchquad
12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
If you feel the need for a winch, go for it. Who cares what people say

Agreed:)

mcwilly
12-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
ooh god. here we go all f'ing over again.. :rolleyes: (KD you prolly don't know what I am talking about, but I made a thread on this and it turned to hell haha)

Personally, I think it is a great idea! Others, will just bash you. Ignore them. It'd really come in good use at times!

link (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=371122&highlight=winch)

I dont have one, but if YOU think it would benefit your riding style - why not?

KDracing
12-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by mcwilly
link (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=371122&highlight=winch)

I dont have one, but if YOU think it would benefit your riding style - why not?

oh man i didn't realize what i started:eek:

Dangerous400EX
12-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow what a waste of bandwidth that thread is.

So is the general agreement that the 400EX electrical system CAN handle winch without a problem?

tx07400ex
01-01-2009, 02:38 PM
i just hooked up a winch on my dads rancher the other day, factory electrical doesnt matter they have a seperate system only connects to the battery. personally i just pick mine up and move it but if i was going to buy a winch warn would not be the choice they dont work any better than any other brand and in my experience being around 4wds alot warns actually burn up faster might be easier to go with a cheaper winch they work just as good and last about the same amount of time my dads was like 140 shipped for a 2000lb. and it was pretty light only problem u might run into is the size of the solenoid some of them come in pretty big boxes which could be hard to find a mounting spot

adawg89
01-01-2009, 03:00 PM
My muscles are my winch.

2muchquad
01-01-2009, 05:17 PM
My muscles are my winch

I agree,i have never ever been in a situation where i cant pull my quad out of a rut,unless im on my utility quad but its 4wd and almost 700lbs. :macho

adawg89
01-01-2009, 05:19 PM
I agree,i have never ever been in a situation where i cant pull my quad out of a rut,unless im on my utility quad but its 4wd and almost 700lbs. :macho

Yeah. :macho:

rcatvrider
01-01-2009, 05:42 PM
You guys must have not seen much sloppy mud then. When you're in about 2' of sloppy mud there's nothing you can do to move it. No matter where you put your tires you won't get enough traction to get out sometimes, and stepping off your quad to move it would get you knees deep in mud.

adawg89
01-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
You guys must have not seen much sloppy mud then. When you're in about 2' of sloppy mud there's nothing you can do to move it. No matter where you put your tires you won't get enough traction to get out sometimes, and stepping off your quad to move it would get you knees deep in mud.

That maybe a challenge since the mud I think may cause a suction to the 4 wheeler when pulling up.

sprayedgt
01-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I agree,i have never ever been in a situation where i cant pull my quad out of a rut,unless im on my utility quad but its 4wd and almost 700lbs. :macho No way you could have ever been in anything too sticky. All you need is some sloppy mud about 8 inches deep and no way you're going to lift it up. Been there, done it dozens of times. If you want a winch go for it dude. I'd get one myself on my 400 but with the gf's Wolverine 450 always there she can pull me out.

2muchquad
01-01-2009, 06:59 PM
me i ride hard and in no way do i baby my quad.But i do try and stay out of the mud pits,i know my limits of my machine.Rcatvrider,i live in oh,we get all kinds of mud around here.Fortunately i have been strong enough to get out of situations,obviously i havent had it up to the tank in quicksand:)
Sometimes you gotta use your head like a wood pecker does;)

rcatvrider
01-01-2009, 07:08 PM
To each his own but would you rather get soaked feet in the middle of a long ride or throw a winch cable to a buddy and pull yourself out? I just think a winch would be alot more convenient, especially during winter months.

2muchquad
01-01-2009, 07:52 PM
To each his own but would you rather get soaked feet in the middle of a long ride or throw a winch cable to a buddy and pull yourself out? I just think a winch would be alot more convenient, especially during winter months

sure no doubt,no argument there:)

tx07400ex
01-01-2009, 11:45 PM
not trying to say anything against having a winch i ride with 4wds mostly so they just pull up behind me and push or i pick it up out of the mud but if there isnt anywhere to put the tires to get traction there is another option at least where i live we just go break the tops out of pine trees or any other trees sticks boards whatever pile those up and put the 4wheeler on it and make a road out i have got out of alot riding on a pine tree top road

KDracing
01-02-2009, 10:36 AM

that was my ride last week, which is what left me walking away saying i need a winch. i can easily pick up my quad and move it around, but when i try picking up the ***** end and instead of the quad going up i start going down in the mud i think that winch would be nice right about now. no one i ride with has a utility so no one else has a winch or even a tow strap for that matter

kilgoja
01-02-2009, 10:49 AM

lmao....if you ride in 2' of mud then you have the wrong quad...the 400ex is not made for that...get a 4wd utility quad for mud riding...i mostly ride on trails...keep in mind the ground clearance on the ex is like 4 or 5 inches at the rear....not very much...but i've been through some 1' mud spots ...u just gotta keep ur tires outta the ruts cuz of the low ground clearance or you'll get stuck easy..kinda straddle the rut made by the tires of the utility quads....i've never gotten stuck though....you just gotta use your head...and realize you can't go where those 4wd indepent rear suspension guys go...just avoid the really deep stuff....but if that's what u like to do then sell ur ex and buy another quad

HondaFamily
01-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I actually have a winch on my 400ex. hell, i even got 22" pure sports realtors on the back and a tank bag. I gotta here it all day long from my buddies on their 400s, 450s, 250r but just until i gotta pull one of em out of the creek.

rcatvrider
01-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by kilgoja
lmao....if you ride in 2' of mud then you have the wrong quad...the 400ex is not made for that...get a 4wd utility quad for mud riding...i mostly ride on trails...keep in mind the ground clearance on the ex is like 4 or 5 inches at the rear....not very much...but i've been through some 1' mud spots ...u just gotta keep ur tires outta the ruts cuz of the low ground clearance or you'll get stuck easy..kinda straddle the rut made by the tires of the utility quads....i've never gotten stuck though....you just gotta use your head...and realize you can't go where those 4wd indepent rear suspension guys go...just avoid the really deep stuff....but if that's what u like to do then sell ur ex and buy another quad
I may have exaggerated that part a little to prove my point but there are plenty of 1' deep mud holes in the local trails 10-20' long. Personally I haven't gotten my 400ex stuck yet but there are a couple people I ride with that constantly get stuck in the mud and need our help to yank them out.