PDA

View Full Version : Here is the start of my rebuild.

rigger
12-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Well here is the start of what will one day be a 250R again. I am wanting to build her back up as a fun woods machine. It may be a while before she gets much due to major lack of project funding.

She is an 86' frame. 89' Swing arm. 400EX rear axle and brakes. The front shocks are off of a 400EX. She may get some works shocks that came with her instead.

Everything else is up in the air at the moment.

Do you guys have any tips or ideas for building her up as a fun trail ride?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/3149196696_0272cbfea9.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/3148365285_9bc89d9cc0.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/3148365447_072bd9293b.jpg

Master LTR450
01-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Looks like a good place to start, but if I was you I would use those Works shocks for sure. Just get them setup properly for you and your riding style.

DEERCHOOPER
01-01-2009, 08:11 PM
good luck on your build, im at the same state as you are with mine that i just got. its a little different but the same, lol. plus note, my frame and stuff is being blasted tomorrow. i would race ya to the end but its going to be a slow build for me.

rigger
01-01-2009, 08:47 PM
I am going to use the Works shocks. They were just not on when I took the pictures. They may be long travel shocks because they are a little longer than normal. I called Works and talked to them and they said they must have been custom made for somebody.

If you want to see who has the longer build time, I might have a good shot at winning that one. I don't think I will be in the trails with this for a good while. Large lack of project funds will keep it on that stand for a while.

But in a way that is kinda good because it gives me time to try and do things up right. I might not have the most high dollar parts on her when she is done, but I want her to be built back up nice.

Any thoughts on a good trail ride set up from anybody? I have plenty of time to research parts. And if you dont see it in those pictures, I do need it.

86 Quad R
01-07-2009, 08:40 AM
good start! but, if your planning to stay with that rear swinger you should consider adding a rear frame engine mount that the 88-89 years had. :cool:

C-LEIGH RACING
01-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Doggoneit, you beat me to that one Randy, :D

Probably would'nt hurt to be thinking about some way to put a rear chain guide on the swingarm.
Thats one thing Honda left out, in the design on the 250Rs, that should have been on them, but if you look at it through their eyes, would have been a lot less left hand case halfs, bolts, shifter shafts & chain guards sold if they had designed it in.
Neil

86 Quad R
01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
not to hi-jack but, neil did ya see the pic i posted of the added rear chain guide on the 88-89 swinger?

Mikeman1
01-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Good looking foundation.

rigger
01-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys.

If I ever do get a motor for it, I plan on welding in some rear motor mounts.

This frame had the main front mounts cut out and replaced with a super beefy set up. The frame belonged to a friend of mine down the street. He had what I think was a 370 motor in it. I rode it once just for a minute and that motor was BAD ***!!! :eek2:

I still don't know what all I am going to do to it. When I do get a motor for it, I want a fairly mild motor. I am just going to trail ride and play with it once every now and then. I think I will enjoy the build just as much if not more than the ride when it gets done. I also want my wife to be able to handle it too.

Trying now to get some + 2 + 1 arms for it. If that works out then my buddy down the street has an RPM, (I think), adjustable axle That I am going to get from him if I can sell the 400EX set up that I have now.

As I get a few things on her, I will post a new picture now and then. It will be a while though before anybody sees a complete machine.

And if anybody has any cheap parts that they want to donate to the restoration of a classic, just pm me on them.

It is projects like this that will keep the old school 250R s alive and well for a long time to come.