PDA

View Full Version : Any gearcase failures from not using the clutch?

Dangerous400EX
12-29-2008, 08:27 AM
I am a truck driver by trade, so I am used to shifting without using a clutch except for takeoff from a dead start. I do all my upshifting and downshifting without the clutch.

My buddy thinks this will eventually cause a gear case failure, but I dont think it will as long as I do it smoothly. I also know my quad has a pretty tough gearset as far as quads go.

So has anyone had a failure from this?

400exrider707
12-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Dangerous400EX
I am a truck driver by trade, so I am used to shifting without using a clutch except for takeoff from a dead start. I do all my upshifting and downshifting without the clutch.

My buddy thinks this will eventually cause a gear case failure, but I dont think it will as long as I do it smoothly. I also know my quad has a pretty tough gearset as far as quads go.

So has anyone had a failure from this?

I had my 400ex for two years, and I bought it used. For those two years, I raced MX, sand riding, trail riding, ice riding, you name it I did it. I rarely used the clutch on my quad. I generally only used it for taking off, coming to a stop and times when I stopped real fast because I had a problem with hitting the rear brake too hard and locking up the rear end and stalling. That was the only times I really used it.

12-29-2008, 08:59 AM
I always use it. Theres no reason not to use it your just putting more wear on everything. You can feel the difference between a transmission where they didnt use the clutch and one they did the tranny where the clutch was used shifts smoother

kilgoja
12-29-2008, 09:53 AM
maybe get a quad with an automatic clutch?

Dangerous400EX
12-29-2008, 11:50 AM
I dont need a quad with an automatic clutch, obviously I know how to shift. By not using the clutch I just figured its one less thing I have to think about when riding, Lord knows I need all the help I can get lol.

12-29-2008, 12:01 PM
i'm sorry but I hate to say it if you cant use the clutch when riding you should be on an automatic or atleast get a recluse or slipper clutch setup. Kinda sad to not be able to use the clutch thats what makes riding fun dumping the clutch and having to do another thing while racing around it would be so boring without it.

12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Thid is something I have been thinking about. I know a few of my pals use it religiously but some just for take off and stopping.

I use it all the time 'cos I can't afford to fix it if it goes wrong!!!

400exrider707
12-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i'm sorry but I hate to say it if you cant use the clutch when riding you should be on an automatic or atleast get a recluse or slipper clutch setup. Kinda sad to not be able to use the clutch thats what makes riding fun dumping the clutch and having to do another thing while racing around it would be so boring without it.

It's not that he cant use it, its that it doesn't need to be used. I've never used it on my race bikes unless I needed to, stopping, sliding and the likes, but straight line shifting... nope.

Read around a little more, you'll see a LOT of people dont use it.

The 450R's seem like they were made to shift without letting off....

buck440
12-29-2008, 01:16 PM
but wont the gears grind, cause i belong the the church of the first assembly of clutch and i do use it religiously:devil:

400exrider707
12-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by buck440
but wont the gears grind, cause i belong the the church of the first assembly of clutch and i do use it religiously:devil:

If the gears were grindign... we wouldn't be doing it. :p

12-29-2008, 01:49 PM
I use it all the time except for winter when my hands are so cold I dont want to grab the clutch.

Dangerous, They make a clutch called the rekluse which makes your quad almost basically like a semi-auto. You can be in 1st gear at a stop without the clutch

witech
12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Quad trannies are constant mesh transmisions. They engage and disengage the power through devices on the mainshaft/countershaft called clutching collers. Unlike automotive transmisions that have synchronizers built into the collers quad trannies have wide slots that the pegs from one coller fall into upon a shift. They are fairly strong but with alot of full power shifting they can beat the edges a little . Some quads dont respond well to power shifting and the shock load can fatigue and break the gear itself or the collers. . I think there are several hondas and maybe the first year raptors had issues with that. I work mostly on cannondales which have a pretty much bullet proof tranny so I am not sure which Jap quads you should be easy on.
You can pull the clutch in on every shift and wear your clutch out a little at a time or let off a tad on every shift will be about the same amount of abuse on the tranny. I use the clutch for starting and stopping and ocasionally while riding but have never considered it a requirement.

Dangerous400EX
12-29-2008, 03:06 PM

You have missed my question completely, 707 hit it right on the head.

Also letting off the gas to shift without the clutch is not power shifting. Power shifting to me is ramming the gears forward at WOT or near WOT.

Thanks for the replys

12-29-2008, 03:32 PM
To powershift and have it right is only at a certain RPM. To hit that everytime would be impossible without a tach

400exrider707
12-29-2008, 03:54 PM
To powershift and have it right is only at a certain RPM. To hit that everytime would be impossible without a tach

Upshifting never seemed to matter, it went in pretty easy. Downshifting sometimes is difficult, and I tend to use the clutch more down shifting, though if you hit it just right it will go in smooth.

I'm by no means telling anyone to go out and do this, just telling my experiences. I did do it and continue to without issues.

hondaman146
12-29-2008, 08:24 PM
i didnt use my clutch from first to second in a wheelie and now i dont have 2nd but i think it is only a shift fork

kilgoja
12-29-2008, 08:34 PM
i've shifted without pulling the clutch in a few times on accident and it shifted fine....but i wouldn't suggest doing it on a regular basis...i mean if that's the case then why would they have put a clutch on it?....it would have to cause some type of harm if you keep doing it over and over and over...maybe wear out faster or something...i know racers hardly ever use the clutch but they prolly put a new clutch in all the time too....lol

gmcsonomaex
12-30-2008, 03:05 PM
ok the clutch in a quad isnt the same as in a car. you can shift without using the clutch as much or as offten as you want. it wont get hurt or ruin it. use it to just start out and stopping and if you are spinning alot or at a high rpm use the clutch but if you on a track and your goin through the gears fast then you dont need a clutch.

400exrider707
12-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by kilgoja
i've shifted without pulling the clutch in a few times on accident and it shifted fine....but i wouldn't suggest doing it on a regular basis...i mean if that's the case then why would they have put a clutch on it?....it would have to cause some type of harm if you keep doing it over and over and over...maybe wear out faster or something...i know racers hardly ever use the clutch but they prolly put a new clutch in all the time too....lol

My R is on its original clutch pack and still holding strong. I race all my bikes. My 400 I put a new clutch in in 05 or so and it was an 01. The 400ex's seem to get bent shift forks a lot anyways from racers, regardless of clutch usage.

The R shifts butter smooth without the clutch and you can do it almost wide open, never any issues with mine.