PDA

View Full Version : DRZ kit going in tomorrow

288sunny
12-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Alright well I went ahead and made the move to have the kit Installed, so hopefully all goes well and no problems occur. Im kinda wishing i would have added a high compression piston while its apart but i really dont want to spend the extra money and alittle worried it would make it less reliable, I like turn key, I may still do it, just depends? I know im looking forward to the performance gain from the base gasket.

cataway
12-29-2008, 03:55 AM
do your self a favor an check your intake valves ,better yet just go ahead and replace them as you'll have the head off,stockers work as good as any others and less expensive.
it would be best if you can maybe not remove the piston from the jug,other wise you should all so replace the rings which you should do any way.

jonboy
12-29-2008, 09:57 AM
How would he replace the base gasket without pulling the piston from the jug?

airmobile101
12-29-2008, 10:11 AM
The rings will be fine, just be careful puling off the cylinder, but if it has alot of time on those rings, it might not be a bad idea to replace them.

cataway
12-29-2008, 12:04 PM
its just that there are a few parts that wear ,some faster than others ,its well known that the intake valves cup which means the valve surface is worn out ,as well the timing chain is known to be a weak point ,it should as well be replaced and if the head and the jug is off what better time is there to replace it ? the rings are the highest wearing thing in there and they have taken a seat (worn in to a serting place in the jug) you can not get rings back on a piston in to the same place they came out ,which means your going to have leaking past the rings ,hence if your not going to do the rings dont take the piston out of the jug,
its a matter of pulling out the ristpin out before the rings clear the jug, yes a pain in the butt to do but thats the way it works.

airmobile101
12-30-2008, 10:33 PM
I forgot to mention, if you do the rings. Make damn sure they are installed in a correct order. Becareful because two rings might look identical ,but they are not. I had to use a caliper to mike out my sons rings becuase they look identical. Usually, the rings will also be marked, the marked side goes up. If you pull the jug and don't replace the rings, it will smoke a little until the the rings reseat themselves. Cataway is right about the rings,but if your on a budget, anything flys.

288sunny
12-31-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks for all the replys, I sure hope there are not any problems, Im having a place called Moto Tech, the guy has alot of experience, so hopefully he does a good job and this thing will last along time. had the DRZ kit installed and a high compression piston as well.. hopeing for a Solid, reliable turnout!

288sunny
01-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I think im going to scrap the High Comp. piston, not really liking the idea of having to mix 93 and 100 or running race fuel, which is way more of a pain in the butt then its worth, i want turn key reliable power! Im wishing i would have replaced my valves and rings, but hopefully it will hold together!

288sunny
01-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Well i got the DRZ kit done and went ahead with the high compression piston, we had a long talk about it and he said i really dont need 100 Octane, his bike has had one in it for 2 yrs with no problems on good quality 93. he got it all done and it does run good, however not what i was expecting, i was thinking it was going to have way more power, much better accel, and i guess just 10x better all around, cant really say i see a huge difference, im going to take the bike back to him now thats its broke in and been road and see what he thinks and see if we cant make some changes. with a piston, drz kit, yosh full pipe, carb mod, Dynatek CDI open air box, this thing should be a rocket, and as much as i hate to admit it, i got spanked by a stock z400 today:( something cant be right!

The piston part # is 4714M09000, its a weisco. Im not sure if i should just try some 100 Octane or 110 and see what happens, but not sure if it would run right. Also seems to be running on the warm side, pipe seems very hot, as well as motor, however thanks the good lord the red coolant overheat light hasnt come on. my header pipe for the yoshi is kinda a tan, purplish color?

airmobile101
01-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Dude, if your running a DRZ gasket with a HP piston, I would highly advise running 110 octane. Run yourself a new irdium plug also.

cataway
01-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by 288sunny
my header pipe for the yoshi is kinda a tan, purplish color? if you feel is running hot upping the main jet to a slightly rich condition will cool thing down

06kawasaki
01-28-2009, 06:44 PM
this may sound like a stupid question..but...what is a DRZ kit?...thanks!